SPF MKII Ownership

I don't know if I have mentioned this one yet...

Place a wadded up rag between the fuel filler cap and the bodywork. The cap has a small radius edge and can damage the paint when the gas cap hits it or when pressure is put on the filler lid when gassing up.

In Oregon, you can't gas your car - the attendant has to - state law. I caught this one early - before the paint got chipped. I was watching his technique and being very cautious.

Mike

Mike

Congrats on getting the car Mike! I ran into Frank at the Long Beach Gran Prix and said you were crus'n around Tustin looking for Ford GT's to beat up on. LOL! Next time you have that beast in So Cal drive it down the street and take me for a ride. Again, congrats and it looks great!

Thanks Steve! It is sometimes hard to believe, after such a wait, that it is now in my hands. I am really enjoying the experience.

Still love the GT?

Regards,
Mike

Yes, I have yet to loose my enthusiasm for the car. Still thinking about a gt40 MKI clone though or even a MKIV.

Let me know when you have it back in Tustin, I really do want a ride (might push me right over the edge! LOL) Frank had a MKII at the Gran Prix and the quality looked very good, also brought a Daytona that was first rate as well.

Went to the Superformance open house yesterday to pick up my VIN plate and to collect a lead hammer - both gratis - thanks Lance, Deborah and Barry...real nice folks.

Lance had his MKII there and they have a real nice red/white with rondels in teh back - just needs a power train.

I noticed a few differences between my car and this later red one. Th etop back latch is different, my car is missing a part of the side window latches * the "l" part of the lever which just screws in, and they had a rubber pad on the inside of the door handle to keep it from striking the door and to make the handle flush with the outide of the door.

pictures posted below. The picture of the VIN plate installed is from Lance's car.

Barry talked to me about the Mendola transaxle being developed for a SPF customer to handle a 650HP motor. They mentioned that they will try one after the customer gets theirs. Lance has MKI Gulf Wide Body on the water on it's way over now...

Those Daytone coupes are real nice too!

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01736.JPG
    DSC01736.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 673
  • DSC01737.JPG
    DSC01737.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC01738.JPG
    DSC01738.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC01739.JPG
    DSC01739.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 684

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If teher is a factory assigned VIN and an MSO from SPF, why does that car have a "Ca. assigned VIN"?

Not trying to stir the pot, just really wondering?

Rick

I am not sure, however, it is possible that he didn't have his SPF VIN plate installed at the time. Notice that it is not riveted on either. They glued or taped it on.

Mike

Rick, in Calif. it is still necessary to register under the SB100 regulations as the manufacturer has not had the car DOT approved etc. Or in other words, as far as Calif. is concerned, it is just another kit car replicating a whatever! If it were to be recognized as a genuine original GT the value would be so high you couldn't afford the sales tax!!

That is what I love about Oregon. I think it is $27 per yeare regardless of the vehicle - they don't care what you drive. All I need is a MCO and a VIN plate.

Mike

I forgot to mention - I asked Superformance for the proper jacking points and they are the 4 corners of the tub. They stated that the front and rear jacking points are cosmetic only - like Frank mentioned earlier. They were not on the first cars but were added later and are not to be used.

Mike

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
By the "...front and rear jacking points", do you mean the "horns" that would engage the lifting lever if one were used? If so, IMHO it's a shame for SPF to have designed a car that bears such a close resemblance to the original GT40, with so many parts that interchange, without having made the horns to engage the lifting lever functional. Cosmetic????

If not, well, then, that's different. Never mind! (Courtesy of Roseanne Roseanna-Danna).

I've been racking my brain figuring out how you'll get a jack under that tub, particularly if you have a flat--your ground clearance is already pretty low and with a flat it will be even lower. It ought to be some trick!

Doug

Yes Doug, I mean the horns. You can use them if you want - just like you would in a dire need or in a race, but they suggested strongly not to.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike, The quicklift jack points can be used, but are ,as original, designed for a quickift jack which lifts using both points together,straight up and equally. Jim Price

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, The ones that I posted above are the only ones I use for front jacking at home and they have been such a success so I'm doing something similar for the other end as well. I plan to also carry a small scissor type jack so that I could lift one corner in the event of a flat tyre away 'from base'.

Jim Price - please tell Superformance; they have a different opinion. Are you all going to sell a quicklift jack lift then? Or put a drawing together so that we can have one made?

David,
Your solution is my plan B if I can't work anything else out. Thank you!

Regards,
Mike

right now I should be able to push the car onto some boards to get a low profile racing jack under the rear and whack the wheel with a lead hammer to get it off.

I agree with Jim, the lugs can lift the car, but my point about treating the lifting lugs as cosmetic was made in the long term. Quick lift jacking is OK for pit crews in race situations, but long term use will promote stress on the attachment points of the tub, however strong it is, and if even the slightest cracking of the protective paint coatings occurs, rust will quickly follow, and in these areas will be very difficult to deal with. Race cars were only designed for short life spans, you want yours to last longer.

Back