Stephan's SLC Build Log

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Stephan,
I hope you are doing well.
Not to bother you, but - any updates on your build?
Markus

Hello Markus,

I have been SLC sober for 18 month know and not relapsed as of yet touching it. I have acquired some new parts and plan on getting back on it next week with some fresh ideas. I decided to take a long break to pursue a long lived dream on building a Bonneville speed record motorcycle. The project is reaching the final stages with the engine being build over the next few weeks and month by a famous builder. Frame, suspension, brakes, racing dry clutch, special chambered CNC billet heads, tuned exhaust, wheels, with hand hammered tank, seat and fairing from aluminum etc. all custom build and CNC machined to handle the required top speed, new doubled engine output and braking power. Base bike was 1972 Kawasaki H2 750CC 2 two stroke (AKA, the Widow Maker). For some fun, early pictures of the project mockup. It is painted, partially assembled and much further along now... Hoping that I am not stepping on anyone posting this.

Cheers,

Stephan

Attachments

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Stephan,
Thanks for the reply.
Sober for 18 month! Does not mean anything! YOU ARE ADDICTED! Sorry to tell you ;)

Bonneville speed record motorcycle? Wowo_O - curious to see more - so for me it would be great to see more here in your thread or in the "Wings, Wheels, and Keels" section >
However, looking forward to see some of your "Fresh ideas".....

Markus
P.S. don't forget to post a video of the H2 two-stroke sound

"don't forget to post a video of the H2 two-stroke sound"

Ahhhh the smell of premix in the morning, topped lovingly with multi-cylinder sound.
Remembrances of youth and Sears Point Raceway.

Only ever owned one street two stroke (KH500) and one race two stroke (TZ750)
Exciting times those.

I am currently experimenting with my own racing harness floor anchors and backing plates. Could not find anything I liked on the market, so I make them myself. This is the prototype, should be close to final version. Special version for cars with low ground clearance. Fresh off the lathe and milling machine.

Cheers,

Stephan

Attachments

Joel K

Supporter
Here is a series of pictures of the tacked exhaust collectors and first test fitment. This engine is a few inches wider than a LS series and the manifolds sitting over the frame rails. I maxed out at about 10 degree tilt due to spacing issues with the collector flange bolts.
Hi Stephan, looking back through your build thread I noticed you used aftermarket flanges for the exhaust you fabbed up. These flanges are flat and not machined like the factory ones. Wonder what type of gasket you used to seal them up against the manifolds. I assume the factory gaskets would not work.

I was thinking about buying the flanges from the tabzone which look similar to the ones you used. Can’t seem to find any original GM flanges for sale.

Appreciate the info. Thanks,
Joel

Hi Stephan, looking back through your build thread I noticed you used aftermarket flanges for the exhaust you fabbed up. These flanges are flat and not machined like the factory ones. Wonder what type of gasket you used to seal them up against the manifolds. I assume the factory gaskets would not work.

I was thinking about buying the flanges from the tabzone which look similar to the ones you used. Can’t seem to find any original GM flanges for sale.

Joel

Joel
Hello Joel,

I purchased at the time from Tabzone as well before switching to tuned length headers. If I remember correctly I went with 3/8" steel and used factory LS7 gasket. The profile was milled in the factory LS7 stainless manifold flange to properly seat and to create the required pressure to the gasket. As far as I know the LS7 factory flange on the exhaust side is flat as well. Mark B. sold a set of cut off factory LS7 flanges some time back . On these pictures you can the that only one side is profiled. https://www.gt40s.com/threads/ls7-exhaust-flanges.53030/

Cheers

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The flange is also recessed on the opposite side (cat pipe side). Zoom in on the picture and you can see the recess.