Steve's GT-R Build Thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
They wouldn't tell me what the brand name was of their grease. I wanted to repack my cv joints.

Did the boot kits come with new clamps?

Steven Lobel

Supporter
They come with new clamps but I like ss zip ties over the square hat tie that needs special tool.

Attachments

• 52E020BA-C42F-452D-A4B8-B4F5C5216047.jpeg
    52E020BA-C42F-452D-A4B8-B4F5C5216047.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 470

Steven Lobel

Supporter
A little grease on the stud, a little on the hub.
Great tool.

Attachments

• 98F1391A-2705-4DB1-AEB2-DE4FE01E4AEC.jpeg
    98F1391A-2705-4DB1-AEB2-DE4FE01E4AEC.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 455

Joel K

Supporter
wow, that is just too easy, wish I saw this before I went and got a small press. I used the same ARP studs but they seemed to need a lot of force to install them. Nice job Steve.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Got rear half shafts, wheel studs done and back together. Installed remote solenoid kill switch in dash. Bled and adjusted ram lift. Have to fix steering like H said. Back on too of upright. Will need to set ride height so I can turn without interference on rim to adjuster sleeve. Reverse lights not coming on. I’m sure i ruined it when hooking up camera reverse switch. Need to bleed brakes again. Still not grippy.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
One of the things I wanted to knock out today was my reverse lights not working. I started tracing it from the tail light itself up into the dash. There are Sauter’s between the output of the light to a wire another Sauter to the transmission switch on each side of the switch and an additional Sauter a few feet away to get the wire so it is running into a sheath up into the cab. I took off a lot of tape and pulled off a lot of loom/guard. Once I got up behind the Dash I noticed that this wire was taped off with two other wires that were going nowhere. Apparently the lights will work once you plug them into a power source. :D

Steven Lobel

Supporter

Got steering pretty close. Ready for alignment. Brakes aren’t right. Put in Wilwood valves and re bled them. Still can’t lock them up with a hard push. Will need suggestions. Going to check for leaks, but pedal feels good.

Neil

Supporter
Some brake pads have lower coefficient of friction than others. I've had good experience with Performance Friction CarbonMetallic pads on the street.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Fixing little leaks in my brakes, adjusting pedals and bias bar today. Hoping to get brakes to lock up.

quick shake down run yesterday ended with smoke. Made it home. Coolant leak at radiator due to T-clamp 48-54mm replaced with 44-48mm. And I added hose clamps on the input side of my heater bypass valve. Oops.
E868489B-34EC-44D3-90F3-A33E8E7ECC56.jpeg

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Getting closer to running it hard. I must have dinged up a bulkhead fitting because I am still leaking a little brake fluid. New part on order. But much closer. Able to lock up right front now, so much nicer. In the next month it will get a dyno tune and corner balance. Then I am ready to track trial the car. After 20-30 hours more of driving I can start the body and trim.

Getting closer to running it hard. I must have dinged up a bulkhead fitting because I am still leaking a little brake fluid. New part on order. But much closer. Able to lock up right front now, so much nicer. In the next month it will get a dyno tune and corner balance. Then I am ready to track trial the car. After 20-30 hours more of driving I can start the body and trim.
When you check the brake fitting leak check the flares on the brake lines. Make sure they are double flares and in good condition.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
When you check the brake fitting leak check the flares on the brake lines. Make sure they are double flares and in good condition.
I didn’t trust my flare so I bought a 12” pre-made line. I think I tried making a bad flare fit the bulkhead and overtightightened it damaging the bulkhead fitting. $6.50 and a few days and i can prove it.

Back