Superformance GT40 questions... need help :)

I may have misphrased my first statement where I said "he cannot travel".
Let me make a correction here, he simply does not want to travel at this point.

He's not 70 years old and half crippled.

I'm sorry if I implied it, but it sounds like that's how you guys picture him, when nothing could be further from reality.

Before I came for advice on these boards, we've been doing research into other cars as well, and decided they were not what we are looking for.
The problem questions I came here with were just a few things we couldn't find an answer tp after extensive research all over the internet.
We want the rawness, the sleek look, the power, the uniqueness and huge experience a car like the GT40 can offer.
We know we want this.

Thank you everyone very much for all the advices you gave, I really appreciate it, it's been very helpful. :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
You are welcome to call me with any question 716 407 0975. Again regardless of if you purchase a GT from us we are glad to help and answer your questions...but we do have a gulf spec Mk I chassis available!

Minami, The advise here has been top notch. If you and your husband have the opportunity to drive or ride in a "well sorted" GT40 before buying, take it. This will answer many questions and some you haven't even asked. Like....Is it always this loud and hot? Yep! But thats why we love em. Plus, a HUGE thing to consider is the fact you now know you have a group of enthusiasts behind you like those that have posted on this thread that WILL help you no matter what you buy. We love new members and once you buy you become a member of a very elite group of men and women around the world. Good Luck.

@Jimmy: Always loud and hot? That's what we're hoping for! Bring it on!

I didn't see the need to ask questions that were either of no concern to us, or that would be the way we'd love for it to be. :)

Thank you for the good wishes, I appreciate it! ^_^

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "Loud and hot" is a variable with the brand of GT and the type of engine and exhaust. I can refer you to people with Superformance GTs that are happy with the AC performance on hot days. The car WILL be louder than a normal street car but the interior noise level can be moderated with insulation and proper sealing (both of which we offer)

Again, I invite you to speak directly with people who are very familiar with these cars.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Most of these cars sit around 99% of the time. I have other cars (enthusiast cars, like my Cobra) which can be used to go get the groceries and run errands. Doing the ordinary things of life is a lot of fun in such a car. Driving them is an adventure.

But a GT40 is a step up even from that. The best way I can think of to describe driving a GT40, or any car with performance at that level, is that driving the car, when you are in it and doing it, is your full-time job. The driver needs to pay full-time attention to everything he or she is doing. These cars require close attention to them, to the road, to traffic, and to what they are trying to tell you- even if you are not driving them fast. Their sensitive controls, formidable power, rapid response, and small margin of error require that you concentrate.

If you enjoy that kind of driving (and I do, although I can't claim any special expertise at it), you will get a huge bang out of owning and driving a GT40. These are not cars that suffer fools gladly, but if you are willing to listen to the car and give it the supervision it needs, it will reward you by making a trip around the county on two-lane roads feel like the NurburgRing. And for most of us, that is as close as we are going to get. And probably as close as we ought to get :)

Ian Clark

Supporter
Wow, if I was a potential customer reading this it would be like, man I've got into this group. Fair and honest advise throughout.

Also quite rightly mentioned, this forum is full of members who will support you regardless of brand. Really a great bunch of folks.

Jimbo, your description of the driving experience is right on the mark, love to quote you on that!

Cheers

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ian,

Right you are..it seems we are covering the downsides more than the plus'! But if you still want one after hearing all of the negatives, you are probably a potential owner.

But also if you are a prospect, would you not invest a couple of minutes and fifty cents and call one of the dealers to ask some questions? Could you not glean more information in five minutes than over five days of back and forth on a web forum?

Several people have offered information and a "try it on" but to my knowledge there has been no response.

JonnyB...I suggested that the GT may be more to the prescription than a GT40 but they claim to want the warts and all.

We all stand ready to help if indeed a GT40 is what is really desired....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Johan, you should keep texting. This will be an interesting experiment LOL... seriously, I don't think you actually do, and no you shouldn't do. :)

Anyone can quote me if they want, no problem, it's all public conversation.

Possibly a new Ford GT IS a better choice, but it's somewhat more money and maybe they want the authentic warts-and-all experience. As long as they don't buy an F-car; they'll spend all their time at the shop with it...

Hi everyone,

We've been very busy looking into all the different aspects of becoming a GT40 owner (insurance, etc. etc.). We have been hindered a bit in our efforts by a pretty bad ice storm covering everything in our area in solid ice since Tuesday.
Today was the first time we were out driving and it was pretty hazardous. Now all the ice is covered in several inches of snow.
It's not good driving weather in Dallas.
The authorities are not used to dealing with this kind of stuff.

BUT, we are now the lucky owners of a new Superformance GT40!

It will be shipped to Olthoff Racing from the dealer as soon as weather permits, for the very very final preparations (custom molding of driver's seat, orange racing mirrors, numbers, etc.).

We will probably receive the beast within 1-2 weeks.
We simply can't wait!

We are also looking forward to meet a lot of other auto enthusiasts with their special dream cars.

We really want to thank you all for your very honest and to the point opinions. It's been very helpful!

Kim B. Petersen & Livia Z. Lokay

25tx6ox.jpg

Congratulations! You wont be disappointed, and its in the correct colour, those roundels are just crying out for a number 6.

As you have no doubt found out this place is a gold mine of information, and well worth a browse before you take delivery of your new pride and joy.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
BEAUTIFUL CAR!! Congratulations.....may you both enjoy many safe miles in it. Our Texas weather can be great for touring at times, at others, well, you know what I mean.

Cheers from Doug!!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Minami,

That is fabulous, What a beauty. Congratulation!!!

you get it in one to two weeks?

I can tell you from experiance that those weeks will seem like a year!

But its worth it!

Enjoy!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
THAT didn't take long, did it? I'm jealous- you'll be driving yours about the time I am driving mine.Except I started in 1998, or whenever it was.....

Back