The beast is born

Ruth,
I believe the plan is to use off-the-shelf GM parts (clutch/pressure plate and starter). Not too expensive either. LS compatible components. No need for the KEP components.

Ruth,

I believe the LS376 crate engine comes with a flywheel but no pilot bearing, clutch/pressure plate. I also believe the Griffen will be compatible with the GM/vette clutch, etc., but when in doubt call Fran. If this is the case, I have the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from my LS7 crate engine, never used, "gathering dust" and needing a new home....:thumbsup:.

the crate did come with the flywheel but it was for the Corvette automatic trans. its a throw away part. i bet the erod crate does too. i had to get my ricardo flywheel / pilot bearing form fran. Atr girl, congrats on the SLC too. We had to stay quiet on the blogs because Collin wanted to make it a surprise. Thats quite a surprise!

Ruth, try www.slpshop.com
They have new take out parts that will suit you fine. LS3 Clutch/pressure plate/flywheel complete, advertised for just over $200.00 right now.

Wait to see what comes on the engine though.

Ruth, try www.slpshop.com
They have new take out parts that will suit you fine. LS3 Clutch/pressure plate/flywheel complete, advertised for just over $200.00 right now.

Colin had a preliminary discussion with the Griffin folks, but had to cut it short as he was at the doctors office. However, it didn't sound like stock Corvette bits were a certainty. He's following up tomorrow.

FYI. . . billet transmission cases are 60 days out. Cast cases are 10 weeks out. That timing is fine with us.

Dont give up on the STOCK clutch,,

We have made a new contact (just today) for a bellhousing that will cover all LS stock clutches.. Even the LS9...

The Issues is with the Kennedy Bellhousing.. It will not take any clutch larger than 10.5 inches...

Lets see where this takes us...
DeLynn

Just wait for it, I'm sure the solutions will be for readily available parts. Resist the temptation to buy things that you may not really need. We all have done that too!

There always seems to be something newer, better, cheaper or easier so our approach is to wait as long as possible before we buy anything we need to finish the car. Meanwhile we learn. Along those lines, can anyone confirm that the LS3 and LS7 clutches are the same unit? LS9 is different for sure....at least the flywheel anyway, probably the other bits too.

LS2, LS3 and LS7 clutch/pressure plate/flywheel are the same.
The LS9 is a totally different animal.

Er, not quite.

The LS7 flywheel has a different bolt pattern than the LS1, LS2 and LS3. The LS7 pressure plate and clutch can be used on stock LS flywheels.

The LS9, LSA and LS3 w/Z51 dry-sump option (out of the new Grand Sports) all use a peculiar bolt pattern that is unique to that engine family.

Katech and other vendors offer a flywheel that is a bolt-on for the LS1, LS2 and LS3 engines that can utilize the LS9 clutch and pressure plate.

Hope this info is useful to anybody who wants to mix & match stock performance offerings from the GM parts bin.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Er, not quite.

The LS7 flywheel has a different bolt pattern than the LS1, LS2 and LS3. The LS7 pressure plate and clutch can be used on stock LS flywheels.

The LS9, LSA and LS3 w/Z51 dry-sump option (out of the new Grand Sports) all use a peculiar bolt pattern that is unique to that engine family.

Katech and other vendors offer a flywheel that is a bolt-on for the LS1, LS2 and LS3 engines that can utilize the LS9 clutch and pressure plate.

Hope this info is useful to anybody who wants to mix & match stock performance offerings from the GM parts bin.

You're giving out some bad information. The LS7 has the same 6 bolt pattern as the LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3 crankshafts. The LSA and LSX crankshafts use a 8 bolt pattern and the LS9 uses a 9 bolt pattern crankshaft.

The LS3 dry sump crankshaft most likely uses a 6 bolt pattern as well. I cannot confirm that yet.

You can see from Katech website link that the LS7 flywheel is the same one used with all earlier models. LS9X / LS9R Flywheel -- Katech Performance Online Store

Artgirl,

Just becouse, "this will work with that, but will not work with what"
I have always liked after market clutchs better than stock clutchs when building a project.

I can get a Mc Leod RXT complete flywheel and cluth set that is rated for 1000 hp ready to install on any LS engine for $1000.00
AND it will fit inside the Kennedy Clutch Housing.

BUT, the stock clutch fits in most budgets, and staying in the budget is the goal,, unless you get tax money.

So keeping everyones options open, we will find, build or buy a bellhousing that will fit the LS9, becouse the Stock LS9 clutch is very large.

As long as the new clutch housing will cover that big monster, all the other clutches will fit..

The only other issue is the clutch splines, and 1 1/8 X 26 clutch hub is found in almost every brand cluth made, and CHEVY uses it all the time.

After all of this being said, if you buying a stock cluth pick your Year, Make, and Model, and stick with it.
Be sure to right it down so you can go to NAPA and a replacement, years fron now.

DeLynn

Thanks DeLynn.

As long as the bell housing you source for the Griffin will accommodate it, we fully intend to go with the stock LS3/LS7 clutch. Its the most affordable alternative and gives us all the performance we will need for our mostly stock LS3 engine.

You're giving out some bad information. The LS7 has the same 6 bolt pattern as the LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3 crankshafts. The LSA and LSX crankshafts use a 8 bolt pattern and the LS9 uses a 9 bolt pattern crankshaft.

The LS3 dry sump crankshaft most likely uses a 6 bolt pattern as well. I cannot confirm that yet.

You can see from Katech website link that the LS7 flywheel is the same one used with all earlier models. LS9X / LS9R Flywheel -- Katech Performance Online Store

Sorr about that Ken, I posted pretty late in the evening and I blame my goof on lack of sleep. :thumbsup:

You are correct about the LS7 crankshaft having the same bolt pattern as the earlier LS1/LS6/LS2 & late-model LS3 engines.

The GMPP LSX crankshafts use the LSA 8 bolt pattern with a stock snout, the LS3 (Z51) drysump crank is the same part number as the LSA crank.

And of course, you are absolutely correct about the LS9 having the 9 bolt crank pattern.

As to aftermarket cranks like Callies, Lunati, etc. I have no idea about what the preferred bolt pattern being, other than the majority I have seen are of the 6 bolt variety.

I apologize profusely for providing any bad info. Thank you Ken!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
ArtGirl.....here is a good deal on a LS3 drysump engine taken out of a 2010 GrandSport Corvette with 8000miles on it. He is in California too . It still needs a intake manifold , fuel rails, injectors, throttle body and water pump though. I'll bet you could talk him down to about $4000

I can connect you up with the rest of the parts from another source for a great price too (about $750). Don't know if you are going drysump but it can easily be converted to wetsump.

**** 2010 LS3 engine - Corvette Forum

We've been thinking about seats lately, specifically how to make the driving position adjustable to accommodate the two of us swapping in and out of the car. Pedals will be moveable, but without knowing exactly how that will work, I'm not sure if it will be sufficiently convenient. Has anyone thought about feasability/doability of moveable seat tracks?

Back