The last few pieces and than on to a new project

Here are a few pictures of a project that took longer than I thought it would. Just keep at it and it will get done. It really doesn't matter how long a project takes. Just do something you can be proud of.
A possible GT40 builder. Anything is possible if ya got the dough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Steve
A few more pics will follow. It's called a Gran Turismo.

Attachments

• 45196-Jp4gt.jpg
    45196-Jp4gt.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 268
Re: The last few pieces and than on to a new project *DELETED*

Post deleted by Steve Budge and than a new picture

having a little trouble with the pictures. I'll figure it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 45200-JP1gt.JPG
    45200-JP1gt.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 337
Hey Steve, great looking bike. Maybe you need your Dad standing around at the shop and yelling at you things like "just get it done" and "don't be stupid". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Schweeeeet!

Lynn
Former '53 pan head/hardtail owner. To old for hardtails now. (Come to think of it, maybe that's what is wrong with my back now. :)

Thanks for the kind words. My Dad is almost 90. If he yelled like the dad on OC choppers it would kill him.
As far as how long it takes. It is really up to suppliers, painters, fabricators, seat makers etc. I started the project a year ago and I'm just finishing. As with most projects you just get in line with everyone else and do a lot of waiting and saving money for the next part.
Patience is the only way to get done. I like it because then there is more exclusivity. Not everyone has the patience gene. I am not really all that patient but I try.
It took me a year to pick the parts for the project and then waited for 6 months for the front end to be made.
But it is a work of art to me.

Good night and thanks again.
Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It looks like a hard tail but actually it is a rubber tail. If you can see there is a suspension under the seat. It's all in the details. The engine is also mounted on rubber.
A smooth riding Harley? Sorry Ladies.
Steve

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Great Stuff Steve,something to be proud of. My current ride is a Softail Duece.
Bog standard except for modified exhausts. Did you do the
paint work? It looks fantastic.

Hi Pete.
Nice to hear from you. It's been awhile since I've been here. No, I had it painted by my mate Brian and the graphics were done by another mate Lenny. We talked about what I wanted and the colors. It must have been a one minute meeting and we were all on board. I sketched out some stuff and I let the boys do their job. I am 100% happy. It really did come out nice and when I drag it out into the sunlight it will come to life. Everyone that did work for me knew instinctivly where I was going. I did plan well though. I ordered the parts found a great shop and let them know on paper what I was looking for. Just a step by step process after that. But as you guys know everything doesn't always go smoothly.
But in this case with prebuild plans and good parts distributers and professionals. I am getting exactly what I wanted. We started it yesterday and it sounds great. A seat and a few small parts and it will be done.
Will send pictures, hopefully next week or the next. Have to get in line with everyone else and wait for the seat.
It funny how the best craftsmen are always busy. Or should I say artists because that is what they are.
Again it is nice to hear from you Pete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Steve

FINISHED. It is a blast and looks good doing it.
Have to take it easy until engine gets broken in.
And then it's all out. Varoooooooooooooooooooooooom.
Or I should say patato patato patato the sound of a Harley.
Wish I could have bought the Rick Merz GTD. What a beauty.
How about a trade Rick?
Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 46406-BikeisDone4.jpg
    46406-BikeisDone4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 280
THE END

Thanks to all who encouraged me.
Steve Budge
Now on to a car.

Attachments

• 46409-BikeisDone1.jpg
    46409-BikeisDone1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 291

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Steve, One word... Beautiful! That is a piece of art and I know that you are proud of your hard work.

Thanks Rick, that means a lot to me.
Now on to some new project. Wish I would have had the dough for your car. What a beauty.
Hope you find the right boat for yourself. I guess it will depend. Are you going around the world or fishing in the Gulf. Adios Senor Rick Merz.
Gracias, ciao.
Steve

I sent you a couple of larger pictures.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,
Incredible. Do you do this sort of thing for a living? If not - you should. Could I ask - is it for sale?
Dave M

Hi David,

First I don't do this for a living. But I did all the design work. I had Donnie Smith a very well known Custom motorcycle builder do the build. I found parts from Canada, Germany, and all over the U.S. I also had the paint and graphics done by a local shop. The seat was done by other local shop. All the work is top of the line. Donnie Smith is one of the top Builders in the world. Donnie and Arlen Ness are the Fathers of the industry. Their work is still considered the best. You have to pay a premium to have a bike built by these guys. Donnie is a Motorcycle Hall of Fame inductee. I would like to get in the business and this is really my first effort on a bike of this caliber.
It really was a effort to make a motorcycle a piece of art.
It would cost. Please sit down for this part. For me to make a profit I would have to sell it for $75,000. I know it's crazy but that is the motorcycle market right know.
I'm sure I could even get more if I drag it to all the shows, get it into some magazines. But you have to have one of the big boys name on it. No one knows me. It's like Steve's GT40 or FORD's GT40. Which one gets the best price.
I really didn't start this project to sell it but if you or someone else wants to pay the price I would be willing.
Of course you can spend a lot more for a bike or a lot less. This bike is beautiful and worth the money. But only the buyer knows if it's worth it.
It is to me. Of course I didn't start out with a crazy budget for this bike but I just wanted it to be as good as possible.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Steve

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It wouldn't take too many such bikes as this one and then you could own a real GT40. My bike is Italian, slightly different in design, and probably not as comfortable. It really was a toss up between it and a Harley Davison.
Keep going at it - you seem to have the know how and the winning formula. How did Donnie Smith and Arlen Ness get started? You obviously can cut the mustard as well judging by this one.
Dave M

Back