The season starts soon.

No Mike,

when on track, the only chance I get to look at the exhaust on a 40, is when they are holding me up in the bends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Comments from the peanut gallery will be treated as such Mr. Mac :)

Graham, I was not suggesting a GT40 would show a 917 around the track. Conceding that, the GT40s at the 74th MM were being driven in anger while the group 5 cars were just taking a nice Sunday drive in the park :)

I would thoroughly enjoy if you shared some video of you flogging your beautiful 917.

Mike,

it,s all good for a laugh I know, but on a more serious note, the 40 does have better cornering power, but on sheer aerodynamics, weight and its original power base, the 917 would easily outrun it.

There is no doubt about it though, you do have a very low driving position, you are very vunerable and it does give you a different driving perspective. It does keep you alert and very wary that you are that much closer to your maker !!!!

I,ve always said that the GT40 is like driving a comfortable sofa, compared to a 917 that's like a scalded cat on steroids. I have had a shunt in my 40 and 917. The GT40 accident was so safe in comparison, BUT had I have been in the 917 I would not be typing this out now.

It is now very difficult to see a 917 really being used in anger like they used to be, compared to GT40s, Lola T70 Mk3bs or similar V8 brutes. The very lightness of construction and the strong but delicate nature of powerplant and transmission, combined with the sheer cost of repair with such lightweight and special materials, has meant the basic end to their total dominance. Invariably the T70s outgun them nowadays through sheer numbers and the ever reliable, and easily replaced engine and gearbox. Had that all been available in period, there is no doubt that the 917s dominance would have been threatened very heavily, especially with the T70 superb aerodynamics and neutral cornering abilities.

I,ve never had any cameras fitted to the cars so I cannot show you anything, but there are odd bits on the internet that others have captured.

Mike, I take your point.

You do in fact lie down more in a 917, whereas the 40 is much more upright.

So, coupled with the much lower roof line you do look into the exhaust of a 40.

I sit upright in my 917 ... i couldn't stand the laying down approach, felt like a god damn coffin .... now granted my head is smashed against the roof (I'm 5'7) and it's bloody uncomfortbale, but i feel much better when driving

I see your 917, and i raise you my 917, muahaha

Hello Graham
Wish you a more successfull season this year !!!
Hope to meet you finaly one day or another on track this year !!!:drunk:
Now having possibility to trail the 907/evocation do you think there is apossibility to enter some event and join you ????:blank:

Hello Graham
Wish you a more successfull season this year !!!
Hope to meet you finaly one day or another on track this year !!!:drunk:
Now having possibility to trail the 907/evocation do you think there is apossibility to enter some event and join you ????:blank:

Mic,

of course you could come and race over here, or even at Spa, providing your car has all the current race scrutineering pieces on it, and you have a race licence.

It would not stay so immaculate though, once you use it in anger on the track, as I,m sure you understand. Anything can happen out there !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mic,

of course you could come and race over here, or even at Spa, providing your car has all the current race scrutineering pieces on it, and you have a race licence.

It would not stay so immaculate though, once you use it in anger on the track, as I,m sure you understand. Anything can happen out there !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Graham
yes the car have been built with all necessary Fia scrutineering pieces including tha rubber homologated tank with foam ( with full paperwork )
All I will need is to reniew my race licence or eventually find a driver I can trust !!( may be my last Boss before retiring the team will accept to drive her !!!! )
Am not afraid about making her a little " patina " !!!!:thumbsup:
As you know those toys are only tube and polyester !!! OUCHHHHH and hundred hours of scratch head building ( specially when it comes to bond the chassis o the main body ......LOL

Will prefer far to enter her in UK ; have done too much with EC Marshalls !!!!!( on a previous race life !!!!)
I never had the opportunity to drive on UK tracks !!
In top of this ; it will be nice to have Chris ( Melia ) and John close to show them , her , on the flesh

We have quite similar engines but different injection (mine is the classic mecanical one) ; any idea which power do you expect to have with your new ECU ?

Attachments

• WP_20140716_11_14_09_Pro - Copie reduite.jpg
    WP_20140716_11_14_09_Pro - Copie reduite.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 313
Hello Graham
yes the car have been built with all necessary Fia scrutineering pieces including tha rubber homologated tank with foam ( with full paperwork )
All I will need is to reniew my race licence or eventually find a driver I can trust !!( may be my last Boss before retiring the team will accept to drive her !!!! )
Am not afraid about making her a little " patina " !!!!:thumbsup:
As you know those toys are only tube and polyester !!! OUCHHHHH and hundred hours of scratch head building ( specially when it comes to bond the chassis o the main body ......LOL

Will prefer far to enter her in UK ; have done too much with EC Marshalls !!!!!( on a previous race life !!!!)
I never had the opportunity to drive on UK tracks !!
In top of this ; it will be nice to have Chris ( Melia ) and John close to show them , her , on the flesh

We have quite similar engines but different injection (mine is the classic mecanical one) ; any idea which power do you expect to have with your new ECU ?

Ooooooo, do I see another white 917 :)

Almost one more here, hope to have mine fired up this Spring all being well.

I'm mad jelly that in the time it took you to scratch build a 917 I just managed to do my assemble-by-numbers 917, lol

Graham
Yes thanks !
you have the reply :blank:

Alex
it's a 907 ..... not a 917 :drunk:
Just a little smaller .....

Graham
Yes thanks !
you have the reply :blank:

Alex
it's a 907 ..... not a 917 :drunk:
Just a little smaller .....

Oh, well, don't mind me then .... obviously somebody who sticks a V8 into a 917 doesn't know much about porsche heritage or its lineup :lipsrsealed:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I know nothing about Porsche drivetrains but wondered if one could fit in an air-cooled flat 6 from the 911? 917s are right up there with me but have never considered one as I imagined the expense of running the proper flat 12 would make it an unrealistic proposition.

Back