This Should Be Interesting: Which Smartphone?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A really sad thread. I use a Nokia 6310i - everyone laughs at me but I don't really care. Its a phone and it takes messages and not much else. Oh - yes - its a paperweight as well. I really really don't care. its in silver which has really worn away.

Not many on this side answered....well we just got our credit cards 'chipped' so we are a little behind you fellows. My answer is Samsung Note 2,3, or 4. The new 5 doesn't allow you to remove the battery or add additional memory. All have large screens and long battery life. I use mine for phone and text. Live satellite/radar pictures. I also have some 30 or so audio books and a library of books to read. Paired Bluetooth to your car and listen to books and music of your liking. I stream BBC news early in the morning to find out what is going in the world or catch up on podcast. Also controls the Sonus sound system. Great pictures. I guess I'm hooked. No I don't do tweet or facebook.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
So three days in with the Samsung 6S.....I am reminded of the Eugene Levy line in NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION "You think you hate it now, wait until you drive it!"

This SOB POS turns on "apps" in my pocket. I find 10 open windows with eBay, App store and other crap that I have NEVER visited on the phone! The ringtones suck, all of them. It is a plot to make you pay to get a real phone ringer that you would actually recognize as a phone call. It has moved icons around on its own. This morning it decided to shut off the ringer so numerous calls went unanswered. Did I mention I hate this fookin' phone?!

I hate this so much I spent an hour this AM watching a UTube video on how to resurrect your IPhone after water damage. My wife said "what if you ruin the IPhone?" Well it's already dead so I can only improve it, can't I? After a couple days with this Android abomination (nothing to do with the operating system, I can't tell one from the other) the IPhone I despised is like a long-lost high school love who looks better in memory every year I get older.....................

I hate this so much I spent an hour this AM watching a UTube video on how to resurrect your IPhone after water damage. My wife said "what if you ruin the IPhone?" Well it's already dead so I can only improve it, can't I? After a couple days with this Android abomination (nothing to do with the operating system, I can't tell one from the other) the IPhone I despised is like a long-lost high school love who looks better in memory every year I get older.....................

My JCB fatfingers phone is the dobermans danglers. Massively loud ring so I can find it no matter where it is and it can live in the bottom of a bucket of water for an hour or two. This is handy for me because I tend leave it out in the yard at night on the odd occasion so waterproof is a must for me.

Keith

Even worse, but it has an orange blob on it. Is that marmalade?

I must say, it looks like a proper engineers phone that...

Now have new (old) iPhone 4. V nice but text too small, Going blind.

Well, I have a Xperia Z1 (poor's version of the familly)
I don't spend a day without sayin to myself that I should really hammer it as hard as I can.

I had a Blackberry before it, and it was GREAT to have a realy keyboard. Even with big fingers, it was just a matter of practie to get it right while texting....

The Xperia should be awarded the most stupid of the "smartphones". I use it only for phone, texting and in a few occasion, a little web. I have a few apps on it. Mainly WC games. And Yahoomail... Ohhhh lord! I have to admit that I am not the calmest guy on earth. But I usually manage my anger quite correctly. Excepted with yahoomail app. This POS opens, then freeze for a couple of minutes. Quite comfortable when you have 5 minutes to kill and you think "well, I'll check for my emails..."

Did I also mention that the camera phone is crappier than a chinese Frozen licensed camera with 0.5Mpixel???

And, Did I mention that the sound of this thing is so crappy, that I have to find a very quiet spot to have a call?

Did I mention that the network reception of this pile of shit is almost as reliable as a 50yrs old prositute swaring that she never, ever had any kind of venerian desease????

My half has a low cost samsung right now a galaxy something. Screen is very nice, sound is OK, seems to work correctly... My next choice for sure. Iphones are too expensives, and i get nothing in the apple familly...

Last point, is there any smartphone where it is possible to remove all the mandatory crappy google apps? Google games, Google books, Google calendar, google coffee, goodle doodles... You get the thing right? All this shit eats alt least 30% of your processor, and if you have the cheapo phone, almost 50% of your memory!

Olivier.

Keith

Fantastic rant Olivier! It seems there is nothing like a smartphone to bring out the worst in us!

I will award you 15 Paddock Points and a special Gold Lame Retro Paddock Codpiece to wear with pride at your next car event.

Well done!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

To me a mobile phone is just that, a mobile phone and no more.
I begrudgingly use an Iphone 4 as it came with our business service contract as a freeby

I hate with a vengeance, texting, web access, apps,etc, etc.

I find these days that everyone won't talk personally to each other except by text, email and so on.
The number of times I see a table full of people having dinner and all of them are stuck in their phones and not talking to each other it irritates the shit out of me.

Everyone that knows me do not send me texts as they know that unless they talk to me directly I will not respond to these under any circumstances.

And just for the record I am an electronics technician so I do fully understand the technology.

Dimi

Keith

At the moment, our Smartphone phobia seems to be driven by generations. It is pretty unlikely that future generations will be like us.

I don't fear the tech, I just don't understand the pressing need to be "connected" every damned second.

To me, Facebook represents the apogee of personal intrusion and it's Smartphones that facilitate it. A woman has just been jailed in the UK for failing to take proper care of her 4 year old son who drowned in a garden pond while she checked her Facebook page indoors, which I think is a bit harsh on her to be honest, but it might make people think...

We spend a stupid amount of money on the damned things. I have around 50 or 60 phones around the house, all broken., representing something like $9,000 purchase cost over the years to say nothing of contracts, which in the UK are extortionate.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
To me a mobile phone is just that, a mobile phone and no more.

THANK YOU!!! My sentiments exactly. All I want the bloody thing to do is call out, receive calls, and take messages! It's a danged PHONE, for Pete's sake...

The number of times I see a table full of people having dinner and all of them are stuck in their phones and not talking to each other it irritates the shit out of me.

It's just plain old fashioned RUDE. It's the modern day equivalent of reading a newspaper at the table!

Emily Post would be horrified!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew mizzzzzzzerable old gits. Comms are a really useful business tool , I find myself on the internet looking for a local supplier ,tech info, ebay and streetmaps a good few times a day, also for checking in to catch up with you lot. If the smart phones were a bit more robust and easier to use I would have one, until then I use the two gadgets I have.

Bob

While cell phones are very convenient, they've created the most rude generation of people on the earth. Not to mention 1.6 million auto accidents and 3300 deaths attributed to cell phones each year. Far more than gun related mass murder, but we aren't concerned with that. I guess if women weren't texting while driving 70 mph, they would be applying eyeliner!

Fantastic rant Olivier! It seems there is nothing like a smartphone to bring out the worst in us!

I will award you 15 Paddock Points and a special Gold Lame Retro Paddock Codpiece to wear with pride at your next car event.

Well done!

I had to google codpiece...

Gold Lame Codpiece here
Tiger Torre Art ~ Codpieces

I Swear I would go to my office on monday with!!!
Attending a car event with that would probably be like exhibiting an israeli flag in Daesh City...

Olivier.

Back