Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Trevor,

Have you thought about panelling the hole on the inside to make it look even more authentic ?

I did think about it but it would be quite a lot of work and also might restrict access should I need it. I am planning on simply powder coating the panels black and then lining the openings with some kind of rubber strips to finish off nicely. As the panels will black the openings should be less noticeable anyway

Should I put an access panel in?

Hi guys, need some advice

After Carlos recommended I leave a removable access panel I've mocked up a potential area to put this access area. The picture below shows a card panel at the back of my fuel tank with the proposed access area. To get access I'd still need to remove the sill panel so don't know if this is a good idea or not

build-february7.jpg

What does everyone think, will this work and is access really needed in this area? What would I ever need to get access for, would it simply be to get to the radius arms as looking at other Tornado build nothing else is housed inside there.

The other option is to simply put a solid panel in as show below
build-february6.jpg

If I were you I would make the floor of the compartment the access panel. And you can put all sorts of stuff in there. Fuel pumps, fuel filters, ECU, alarm/tracker, accusump, etc. Also, don't forget the run for the gear change routes through there.

If I were you I would make the floor of the compartment the access panel. And you can put all sorts of stuff in there. Fuel pumps, fuel filters, ECU, alarm/tracker, accusump, etc. Also, don't forget the run for the gear change routes through there.

Jon, are you suggesting adding a removable panel in the floor or making the whole floor removable. If I do mount items in there surely they will be bolted to the floor panel which will then mean I won't be able to drop the panel out.

Given the paneling your doing its the only way to get in there without either taking the engine out or removing the sills. Neither option is straight forward. And I would bolt stuff to the chassis rails first before using the floor. The floor will fill up with grit and water eventually.

Re: Should I put an access panel in?

That is the right way to do it ....you will for sure need the space ....great work
Cheers
(C)arlos

Hi guys, need some advice

After Carlos recommended I leave a removable access panel I've mocked up a potential area to put this access area. The picture below shows a card panel at the back of my fuel tank with the proposed access area. To get access I'd still need to remove the sill panel so don't know if this is a good idea or not

build-february7.jpg

What does everyone think, will this work and is access really needed in this area? What would I ever need to get access for, would it simply be to get to the radius arms as looking at other Tornado build nothing else is housed inside there.

The other option is to simply put a solid panel in as show below
build-february6.jpg

Trevor

very nicely done. IMHO if you make the rear panel ( the one where the radius rod exits)
and the front panel removable you could have acces to.

Anyway i kind of disagree with Carlos and Jon. I dont think it is a good place for mounting the mentioned things. For one your radius rod, brake lines, emergency brake cables and if you have shift cables will probably run there. The only thing i have mounted in there is the 3 quart Accusump and for this acces via front panel and rear panel is sufficient. Fuel pumps in my opinion are a significant design element in the engine compartment of any GT40 and should not be hided somewhere. Putting a ECU there is also not a good choice, because you would need nice acces for wiring programming, you would also need a space with good cooling and no moisture, all of that is not given in that room.

KISS princip is the key, the more complicated you do things the more they are prone to break down.

TOM

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies.

I think I am with Tom on this one, the fuel pumps should be on display and I like the idea of making the end panel the removable one as it will be the easiest to access once the car is finished and also I'd like the floor to be nice and solid, so rivetting it would be the prefered option. What would be the best way to fix the end panel on then? Would it be to use countersunk riv nuts?

Trev

Hi Tom,

NO, on a Tornado this space is pretty much unused
So I placed, Catch Tank, Armtech Battery Isolator, Fuelpump, pre-pump Fuel Filter, Starter Relay, and some other stuff there.

If you cover the engine compartment from below it also stays quite dry, but I agree this is not the place to mount an ECU, MSD or other humidity sensitive stuff, everything else can go there.......no doubts.....

I also bought two fans to fit there, to blow cool air into the engine compartment during traffic jams, but fortunately the car has been sold .. :)

Cheers
(C)arlos

Trevor

very nicely done. IMHO if you make the rear panel ( the one where the radius rod exits)
and the front panel removable you could have acces to.

Anyway i kind of disagree with Carlos and Jon. I dont think it is a good place for mounting the mentioned things. For one your radius rod, brake lines, emergency brake cables and if you have shift cables will probably run there. The only thing i have mounted in there is the 3 quart Accusump and for this acces via front panel and rear panel is sufficient. Fuel pumps in my opinion are a significant design element in the engine compartment of any GT40 and should not be hided somewhere. Putting a ECU there is also not a good choice, because you would need nice acces for wiring programming, you would also need a space with good cooling and no moisture, all of that is not given in that room.

KISS princip is the key, the more complicated you do things the more they are prone to break down.

TOM

Rear panelling finished, well for now at least. I've decided that I can finalise which panels are removable etc further into the build. So tonight, I trimmed and finished the edges on the floor panels and I've refitted the rear suspension.

You can see from the second picture that there is a bit of room in the new rear section area with the radius arms in place but not loads so not sure how many parts I want to tuck away in there.

Next up is to fit the steering and hoping to pick up my steering wheel and new column in the next week from Gelscoe.

build-february10.jpg

build-february11.jpg

Your last couple of post talked about access panels. I don't know if you have addressed it yet, but be sure you have a way to get to that lower trailing arm for adjustment. When I decide to do the major overhaul of my car I plan to put in an access door to just that part. I can lock the outside adjuster down but can't reach the one on the firewall. So I will have to go with only one of them locked down for now. When I take the car for the suspension adjustment, they might be able to reach it.

Bill

Hi Bill

Not decided which panel to make removable yet, will decide later in the build. Seems the two potential areas are the first front panel that the radius arm passes through or the floor. Once the car is more assembled I'll be able to see how much room I need and the best place for access

Trevor,
Why not make the removable panel on the top? That way you have easy access...

It looks like you have loads of space now, but trust me once the engine etc is in, in can become a kuckle rubbing exercise. If you design it well and put some edge folds in of some beads the panel can still be rigid.

Trevor,
Why not make the removable panel on the top? That way you have easy access...

It looks like you have loads of space now, but trust me once the engine etc is in, in can become a kuckle rubbing exercise. If you design it well and put some edge folds in of some beads the panel can still be rigid.

Agreed the top panel could work. I'd have to cut an access section out of the current panel as I wouldn't be able to make the whole panel removable as I think certain things will be mounted onto it. Plenty of options to think about though once the engine, gearbox and linkage etc start going in it should all make more sense as to the best placement.

Steering wheel arrived

Hi all

Picked up finished steering column and steering wheel today from Gelscoe. After initial discussions over the standard column we decided to let Gelscoe work their magic and make a new one that would reduce the weight while also increasing the strength. The new column is a fully welded item and looks the business and weighs easily half what the original item did. It's exactly the same that they would fit to an original car and with the Gelscoe steering and new boss the whole assembly looks amazing.

Big thanks to Andy & Jon at Gelscoe, top guys, top quality parts

build-march1.jpg

build-march2.jpg

Hi Trev,
that looks really smart, shame it will have to be covered up for the IVA, something like this...

Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• PB2.jpg
    PB2.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 305
Had a delivery today in the form of a original style mirror mount for my Lucas 608 mirror. I've removed the old stem, cleaned the mirror and reassembled everything. Really happy with the results, just need a finished car to mount it to now.

Thanks to Andrew Booth (Charles Farley) for supplying the mount

build-march3.jpg

Trevor

Steering in

Another small milestone in the build as I finished fitting the steering tonight. Still got a few little jobs to do on it but it's all working well. I couldn't resist hoping in the car and pretending to drive the car :)

build-march4.jpg

build-march5.jpg

Back