Tornado TS40 #875

Scott, is that insulation on your bulkhead panel? If so could you tell us what you are using? I have Dynamat around the tub and footwell but don't want to expose the material to the engine heat on that panel as I am sure the rubber backing will melt into a horrible black goo.

Keep up the great work

Brian

Hey Brian,

Nothing on the rear bulkhead yet.

It has only been cleaned up with a red scotchbrite pad and isopropyl alcohol.

The Tornado supplied sound proofing, that is included in the Deluxe Component Package, will be utilised.

Cheers,
S

Not much this evening, just drilled the left front wheel arch.

S

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,597
Well thank you Charlie. I'm fortunate to be working with a product that is mature and well developed so it is easy to build.

Bill that is quite a compliment coming from someone who has built such a good looking car, thanks!

Not much this weekend I kind of took it easy.

Installed the rod type shift linkage.

Installed the pedals and cylinders, gas pedal and mocked up the cable.

Installed the steering shaft and quick disconnect wheel boss.

Put a buddy of mine who is 6'4" in the car, he fits quite well.

Tomorrow is another day.....

Scott

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,645
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,631
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,620
Last edited:
Today the engine runs went very well.

My 289 developed 395hp & 355tq !

All from the "little" Holman Moody C30Z cam & 11-1 C/R, & Eddie heads.

This was with the 180 deg high rise and 600cfm holley.

The pictures show this setup on the inertia dyno.

We went on later to install the 44IDF's, and made a best of 384hp @ 6500 rpm & 375tq @ 4800 rpm.

The Webers really ran best overall, as the time from 3500 rpm to 6900 rpm was just over 1 sec faster with the Webers.

The engine shop is in Simsbury CT, THEY ARE A FANTASTIC SHOP!

Thanks to Norm, Dave & Chris!

Here is their info;

Precision Automotive
9 Herman Drive
Simsbury CT. 06070
(860)-651-3418

I'll post some you tube video tomorrow, pictures for now.

S

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,186
Nice goin Scott, would have been interesting to "see'' a run with the 180° headers installed but dyno setup would probably prevent easy fitment. Well done!

Jac Mac

Thank you Jac!

I would have liked to run the 180 exh. setup also just to see if the tune up would be significantly changed.

Yes fitment on the dyno would have been a small but not insurmountable problem... time was the biggest setback.

I hogged the dyno all day! ;)

S

Nice to see another Tornado thread taking shape.

Steel underpants at the ready...............

Can I ask what 'sealer' you are using between aluminum panels & chassis?

Advise from fellow Brits is to alter the seatbelt fixing points [below window aperture] to accommodate 4 point harness etc before getting to far down the build route with Aluminum paneling since it is less trouble.

Regards

KarlB

Hi Karl,

We have plenty of sealer on hand, available for purchase.

Yes, it would be easier to attach a fourth harness lug before installing the alloy panel on the rear bulkhead.

However before modifying your chassis in any way, you should seek Andy Sheldon's counsel, as he has produced hundreds of chassis.

Best regards,

S

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
I don’t see any reason why Andy needs consulting on a very simple mod like this, as long as they are welded in properly. Actually fitting twin harness lugs would improve the load distribution in the cross-bar in the event of an accident.

People on this forum have come up with some very sensible mods for the Tornado chassis and I will be following some of these on my build. This includes welding seat frame cross straps, so that the seat isn’t bolted a thin sheet of aluminium (not very good in an accident). To get these cars registered in the UK, SVA regulations states the following: ‘Seats are required to be secured firmly to the chassis or other obvious load bearing parts of the vehicle structure’.

It will be worth considering now how you are going to meet your local regulations.

Regards<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.gt40s.com/forum/ /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Andy<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT]
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
My tornado chassis came with Four point harness mountings, as I requested them. I was having my chassis powder coated so it made sense to have them put in from the off.

I would always speak to Andy before changing the chassis in anyway as Andy has been producing these chassis for a number of years now, so knows how the loads are spread through it.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
People on this forum have come up with some very sensible mods for the Tornado chassis and I will be following some of these on my build. This includes welding seat frame cross straps, so that the seat isn’t bolted a thin sheet of aluminium (not very good in an accident). To get these cars registered in the UK, SVA regulations states the following: ‘Seats are required to be secured firmly to the chassis or other obvious load bearing parts of the vehicle structure’.

If the seat is secured to the floor, in the correct manner, then it should be OK. In the event of an accident it the mountings only hold the seat in place, not the occupant, this is done by the seat belts which are secured directly to the space frame part of the chassis.

Given the number of cars Andy has put through the SVA, I'm sure VOSA would have said something if the vehicle doesn't meet the requirements.

I don’t doubt that Andy has got vehicles through SVA, but to mount a seat to an un-reinforced aluminium skin, a material not known for its fatigue resistance is not good engineering practice.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
forum
<o:p></o:p>

Andy<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Andy,

Thanks for your concern.

This thread is about the build of #875, not what every body "thinks good engineering practice is".

Remember my chassis is #875, if some aspect of its construction were not acceptable to SVA, it would have been developed to meet those requirements by now!

I won't let this thread drift from its original intent.

Read this thread and you will see why;
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/tornado-gt40-discussion/23966-ts40-875-a.html

I would appreciate it greatly if you made a separate thread about this if it concerns you.

Thank you,
Scott

Last edited:
OK Scott, point taken. Therefore I'd be interested if you could please explain how you intend to mount the seats on chassis 875

Andy

Back