Torque Converter/Electronic Automatic Transaxle?

As for the 4 wheel drive isue why not ask any one of the numerous SL-C owners with Gaziano's (something about trimming block to clear out shaft but don't quote me on it. It's been discussed here before)in them as they seem to have that pretty much buttoned up at this point.

Do you have any links you could post? My searches are not turning up much.

Along the same lines, has anyone done this with a 6HP26A? Looks like these transaxles are reasonably inexpensive and are rated to 400 ft-lb+. Also lighter than the 5HP series, from what I understand.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Two words............well three I guess, Porsche Boxer S. If that won't work for you because its too complicated then nothing will. If I really wanted to do that I would just buy a donner car and use it all.

I cant see that Boxster trans holding on to anything with grunt Howard, we are also talking about torque converters as well here which on a small diameter will always struggle with HP/torque. I found an image of the torsen unit on the big Audi quatro box and it does not look like it would involve much to remove the torsen unit to just drive the forward shaft.

Bob

Audi_Torsen.jpg

Attachments

• Audi_Torsen.jpg
    Audi_Torsen.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 505
I cant see that Boxster trans holding on to anything with grunt Howard, we are also talking about torque converters as well here which on a small diameter will always struggle with HP/torque. I found an image of the torsen unit on the big Audi quatro box and it does not look like it would involve much to remove the torsen unit to just drive the forward shaft.

Bob

Audi_Torsen.jpg

Ah, this photo is perfect. Looks like it might be rather difficult to remove the differential as the gear mechanism isn't a simple gear, it goes all the way to the torsen.

From this photo, I would guess that, to accomplish front drive only, we would have to weld the gear to the "front axle drive" shaft and have the driven shaft turned down. Either that, or have the entire rear shaft machined new. I guess we could have a cover plate made for the end of the transmission, to cover up where the torsen would have been - would shorten the transmission quite a bit as well.

The only concern I have about this would be the strength rating of the output shaft gear. Was the front drive axle assembly ever designed to take 100% of the load? The torsen differential probably does a good job of splitting the load between the front and rear.

Thanks for the links. I would be interested, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash on a Quaife. I'm just considering a small V8 powered kart making around ~400 HP. A reasonably inexpensive toy for the street and occasional track use/autocross.

Two words............well three I guess, Porsche Boxer S. If that won't work for you because its too complicated then nothing will. If I really wanted to do that I would just buy a donner car and use it all.

I'm not too concerned about complicated - just trying to find something that won't break the bank and will hold up to a reasonable amount of power. As long as it has electronic controls, I can handle the control side of it.

I don't want a true auto, just a semi-auto so I can shift without requiring a clutch. Finding an automatic transaxle with torque converter seems like the most straightforward way to achieve this. Let the valve body select gears for me instead of trying to rig a electromechanical manual transmission.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the links. I would be interested, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash on a Quaife. I'm just considering a small V8 powered kart making around ~400 HP. A reasonably inexpensive toy for the street and occasional track use/autocross.

Then get an Renault UN1 automatic
They are available but rare

Ian

the trans from the chrysler 300M and Prowler has been know to survive 400# regularly and have the manual shift ability.

I have not done it, nor researched it fully but it might do what you are after

the trans from the chrysler 300M and Prowler has been know to survive 400# regularly and have the manual shift ability.

I have not done it, nor researched it fully but it might do what you are after

Wow, that transaxle is really small! The 42LE supposedly only weights around 100 lbs or so and is very compact. I'll have to do some more research.

Wow, that transaxle is really small! The 42LE supposedly only weights around 100 lbs or so and is very compact. I'll have to do some more research.

It is a compact unit but I am sure it weighs quite a bit more than 100 lbs. I have one here at the shop if you need to have a weight. I have done adapters for it to the LS1 engine but making it shift automatically is rather difficult. Doing a manual shift on it might not be so hard.

All of the high torque ZF Audi automatics are all wheel drive. One could omit the center diff by machining a spool, and making a custom rear sections as the power outputs for the front diff are taken off the back of the gearbox. I'd probably highly recommend going with a 8HP70 (700 N/M) from an S8/RS6/RS7. It's got 5 shifting elements, to control 8 speeds, so one (theoretically) should be able to use the PCS controller to get it to function.

Talk to Fran about the Graz. unit as he KNOWS what is involved. I believe it entails notching the block a amount and in an area that doesn't have any effect on the structural integrity of the block. Seems like there are more than a few Graz. units being used so SEVERAL people MUST have figured this out already. I still don't see why you wouldn't just flip a Porsche unit and install any one of the numerous tip tronic systems available and call it a day. This entire thread seems to be going in circles. Also I noticed no one seems to have checked out auto bionics over seas (link I provided) where they made their own trans axle out of the M5 trans.

Last edited:
Talk to Fran about the Graz. unit as he KNOWS what is involved. I believe it entails notching the block a amount and in an area that doesn't have any effect on the structural integrity of the block. Seems like there are more than a few Graz. units being used so SEVERAL people MUST have figured this out already. I still don't see why you wouldn't just flip a Porsche unit and install any one of the numerous tip tronic systems available and call it a day. This entire thread seems to be going in circles. Also I noticed no one seems to have checked out auto bionics over seas (link I provided) where they made their own trans axle out of the M5 trans.

You cannot invert an automatic since it has to have a sump on the bottom to draw fluid from.

One can also put paddle shifters on a traditional manual trans and use an automatic clutch. Going with a PDK would be nice, but probably not for the faint of wallet.

Back