U.K.Customs?

Help. Do we have any U.K. Customs experts here? Shipped my tux to my cousin's place in Derbyshire so I won't have to carry it all over for a week before I get to the U.K. for my squadron reunion. Just learned that my cousin got a letter from the Custom's office, saying he could come pick up the carton after duty, customs and VAT were paid...105 pounds.
These are my clothes, well used, that will leave with me when I return to the States. Is there some logic here, or any suggestions?

I am in the process of going through this nightmare with Swiss customs at the moment. I shipped my motorcycle riding gear to Switzerland to go on a two-week ride in the Alps, then shipped it back. The shop where I rented the bike (and shipped the gear) HAD to pay almost $400 in duty before Fed Ex would release the packages.

I have successfully convinced the Swiss customs people that they made a mistake, and now they are sending all sorts of forms and paperwork back and forth trying to get me a refund. It's been two months now.

I subsequently learned that I could have avoided this problem if I had addressed it properly.

I had my name in the "from" side, and the name of the shop in the "to" side. What I should have done is had my name in both the "from" and the "to" side, with "c/o motorcycle shop" on the second line. That 'care of' bit helps identify the fact that the goods are not being permanently imported.

If you did that, then they have absolutely no leg to stand on, and they need to be soundly thumped. If, however, you simply addressed the package to a name other than yourself (i.e. your cousin), then there's no way for customs to guess than it's anything other than an importation of goods, for which customs and duty are appropriate. You then have to rely on the care and understanding of a bureaucrat and hope they will agree to waive the charges.

The amount of customs and duty is scandalous however. What sort of declared value did you put on the package?

Get your cousin to call the company who shipped the carton (number on the card he was sent) and explain the situation. They are usually very reasonable in this regard, they may want a letter from you to confirm your cousins story, and may be some proof.

I had a similar problem with a handbag my wife purchased in the States that was sent back for repair. When the handbag arrived at customs in the UK she received a bill for £150 before she could pick it up. However after explaining the situation and providing proof that it had been sent for repair, the charges were waived.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - exactly that - a letter explaining with a copy of any I/D cards you may have and the reason for forward shipping what is essentially "used clothing". There are plenty of 'jobs worth' in their midst though. - especially amongst those of Indian or Pakistani origin.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mike

HMRC.GOV.UK is your source of all information

I would think you are needing this section
HM Revenue & Customs

Not exactly what you are doing but it certainly gives a precident for getting your money back

Or just reclaum the VAT portion back at the airport on your departure - you'll need to make sure you have the original bill and charge notice to make the claim

Ian

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think addressing it to myself might have been the best answer. In any case, my cousin called and discovered that although I will have to pay the fees to claim the package, I will be reimbursed upon departure when I hand them the form they will provide with the package.
Thank the Lord I won't have to rent one :eek:)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - I just spoke to the Help line and this is what you do. Your cousin in Derby should pay the amount as the default may be that the declaration label probably said clothes and a value. Your cousin then keeps the outside labels from the packaging
and rings 0845 010 9000 and selects option 2. This will get through to a call centre in Cardiff or Glasgow and explains the situation as you described it in your first email. They will then sort out a refund. You should back this up with a letter describing the contents and the reasons etc and send this to your cousin who in turn will send it on with a covering letter to :

UK Border Agency
International Postal Hub,
Siskin Parkway West,
Coventry
CV3 4HX

The chap on the phone sounded quite apologetic when I explained, and he said they are not in the business of charging duty on personal clothes. He also said he hopes you have a great time at your reunion.

Dave M

ps - just read your missive above - that may be even easier to do.

Back