Vans RV-12i

Ed McClements

Supporter
Popped round to my mate Andy's house yesterday to return a book he'd lent me (How to Build a Car - Adrian Newey's autobiography...a very good read) and found him building his kit plane:-

51091790896_81ff572299_o.jpg

51092600555_aa81abe8a5_o.jpg

51092600535_c06d9cd692_o.jpg

There is so much crossover between building an aircraft of this type and a monocoque chassis - blind and bucked rivets, sheet metal parts meeting machined members for the hard location points, AN fittings on hard fuel lines passing through grommeted holes...etc. Andy and I picked up the central part of the fuselage above, and it's can't have been any more than 70-80kg.

Andy has just retired from a career firstly in RAF and latterly as an airline pilot, and he's a fastidious worker, as you can see.

Neil

Supporter
Very nice work. What is the finish on his aluminum panels?

"There is so much crossover between building an aircraft of this type and a monocoque chassis..." Absolutely true! That is why I recommend attending an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics course if you can find one- lots of useful information.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi Neil

I believe it's a Tetrosyl etch primer, popular amongst the UK Vans builders, applied following careful prep with Scotchbrite and MEK. I'd have to check with Andy re: exact details. It's not alumiprep / alodine as far as I know.

Cheers,

Eddy

Ed McClements

Supporter
Apparently it's a 2K etch primer - codes are GEP001 and GET001, mixed 50/50 and gives excellent adhesion. He's using Scotchbrite and MEK panel wash before spraying...and he'll have done his research beforehand, he's that kinda guy.

Rv looks great! It should be paired with the appropriate wheels and tires. If you don't know where to get it, XXXXXXX has a lot of different brands of wheels and tires to pick from.

Back