W8 and Corvette Transaxle?

So, perhaps the 930 really is what I should aim for though whilst I mostly understand gearing, I don't really know too well how certain gearing would affect real world driving too well.

For example, I'd imagine with a 4 speed you'd need an engine with a lot of torque and really wide ratios but, what would the disadvantages be?

I'm thinking a fairly stock VQ35DE mated to a 930 initially. 2000lbs SL-C doable? Maybe 2200lbs with the interior panels?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The Ricardo intrigues me...isn't it sequential? Sounds like a paddle-shifted Ricardo would be killer in an SLC! Dog geared?

the Ricardo is not sequential shift it is a H-pattern style shifter. There is a few places that make a paddle shift kit for them and the G-series boxes. But there is issues with them.

Thanks! Now we have a baseline of sorts. 218 lb for the Ricardo Ford GT box. I have a Subaru WRX 2008 5 speed in a car here now. Next time it is out, I will put it on the scale and report back. My guess is 125 lb, although it should be noted that it is in a mid engined application and the center diff and associated case is removed.

I am suprised that Jack's 930 box only weighs 135 lb. The one I had was the big ring gear one and I thought it was heavier than that. Which one do you have, Jack?

Last edited:
Here you go, from CMS site:
Weight for 930 long bell housing 1978-1988 type 930/34 and 930/36
is 117 pounds dry.
Reference: California Motorsports Porsche 930 transmission section
930 (LATE-LONG BELL) TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATION
· Type: 930/34, 930/36
· Original equipment for: Porsche 3.3L 930, 911 Turbo 78-88
· Description: 4 speed manual transaxle, std H pattern, early Porsche synchromesh, straight cut reverse
· Limited Slip Differential: 40%-80% ZF LSD optional equipment
· Weight (approx): 117lbs
· Oil capacity (approx): 3.7L SAE 90 oil of API classification GL5
· Speedometer: electric/hall sensor
· Controls: linkage
· Clutch: 240mm single plate pull clutch, cable operated
· 1st gear: 2.25
· 2nd gear: 1.304
· 3rd gear: 0.893
· 4th gear: 0.625
· Final drive: 4.22
930 (LATE-LONG BELL) TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATION
· Description: 4 speed manual transaxle, std H pattern, early Porsche synchromesh, straight cut reverse
(LATE-LONG BELL) TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATION

Okay, but with a reeeally short engine (like, a turbocompounded rotary from a Mazda), the new transaxle from the latest Corvette looks awfully good . . .

Sigh . . . .

2014_Chevrolet_CorvetteStingray-20-1536.jpg

They are changing the transaxle set-up in the C7 Corvettes? I had not seen this yet. I guess need to find more info.

Only issue I see from this pic would be how wide it is.

Last edited:
Has anyone here broken there Ricardo box.

A completely done up G97 or a G96 box will cost you less then 20g and there are zero issues with getting parts if you do break something. With that issue are the Ricardo boxes worth having??? Thats with a complete set of GT gears and very solid limited slip unit. And I do not know what you have to use for a clutch when connected to a LS block; but if you can use a porsche clutch --> ERP gen4 tripple carbon unit is a 110% rock solid.

Those are the corect ratios for that box.
GT2/GT3/TWIN-TURBO TRANSAXLE SPECIFICATIONS-GBOX Transmission

There is no way that is correct. Fourth gear is probably 1.1 or thereabouts.

out of all of the porsche 6spd boxes, this one seems to have the more reasonable ratio's out of the box for a v8 from gbox website. don't know if this is a 9" or not. Also, don't get the 4th/5th split at all, seems minimal.

G97/88

997 GT2 2007-09
6-speed fully-synchronized transaxle
Manufactured by Aisin
Plate-type limited-slip differential
Cable shift
Single-plate clutch
Oiling system with cooler
Gear ratios:
1st gear: 3.15
2nd gear: 1.89
3rd gear: 1.40
4th gear: 0.91
5th gear: 0.89
6th gear: 0.73
Ring and pinion: 3.44

I'm trying to search for the reason why the Subaru Impreza transaxle couldn't be used, I'm sure there was one...

I thought the Impreza was only an AWD, wikipedia proves me wrong but does state:
wikipedia said:
Since the late-1990s, some markets have restricted sales to the all-wheel drive model—therefore granting the Impreza a unique selling proposition in the global compact class characterized by front-wheel drive. However, Japanese models remain available in either configuration.

So you may struggle to find a 2WD one from the more powerful engines.

They are changing the transaxle set-up in the C7 Corvettes? I had not seen this yet. I guess need to find more info.

Only issue I see from this pic would be how wide it is.
RebecaLynn:

Autoblog.com reports in its article 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Everything there is to know [w/video]: "
. . . the all-new seven-speed manual is a Tremec unit, and it incorporates rev-matching for both downshifts and upshifts (it's also defeatable via a steering-wheel paddle). We've seen rev-matching tech before, but generally such systems only goose the throttle on downshifts. This system is predictive, too, in that it "sees" which gate the gearshift lever is going and adjusts its response in anticipation. Engineers are particularly proud of the fact that they've gotten cylinder deactivation to play nice with the manual transmission (it might be the industry's first such application), as apparently it's much harder to get variable displacement technology to play without a torque converter to smooth out transitions.
Here is a view of the entire C7 Corvette Stingray drivetrain, viewed from the top. Perhaps it will help you gauge how wide the transmission is.
full

Attachments

• 041-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray.jpg
    041-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 528
The Corvette transaxle has the transmission gearing in front of the axles thereby making the overall length of the unit plus V8 too long for the SLC.

Back