W8 and Corvette Transaxle?

I thought the Impreza was only an AWD, wikipedia proves me wrong but does state:

So you may struggle to find a 2WD one from the more powerful engines.

You can convert the Subi boxes (the same ones are used across virtually all of their platforms, not just the Impreza) to 2WD on either output, either just using what would have been the FWD and not use the tail output or you can disable what would have been the FWD output and just use the tail output.

Either way, I am sure there was a reason why either the Subi 5sp or 6sp couldn't be used in the SL-C... I tried searching through more threads last night but I still couldn't find the reason.

To try and keep costs (and weight) WAAAAY down I'm trying to get away with a fairly stock VQ35DE and a subi 5sp transaxle (the 6sp weighs a LOT more but is invariably a LOT stronger).

I really want to make that 2000-2200lbs SL-C (with interior!) a reality.

I'm trying to search for the reason why the Subaru Impreza transaxle couldn't be used, I'm sure there was one...

My understanding is that they do not hold up to high powered V8s. There are companies that specialize in making them stronger for rally use. I will be using the 2008 5 speed WRX version with a turbo 3.0 6 cyl - about 440 hp and 400 lb-ft torque (at wheels). It will be driven on the street and in club racing events. The car should be on the road next week if all goes well and I will let you know how the transmission holds up.

Last edited:
One note on the Subaru box. It has a shaft within a shaft going to a center diff that is attached to the box. To use it in a mid engined application requires a special internally splined part made by Bremar. - the Bremar Automotion setup removes the center diff (this makes the box shorter by approx 6" and lighter) and redirects all of the torque previously
going through the center diff back to the front axle/differential. I got it from these guys -

Marcus Umlauff
Bremar Automotion Pty Ltd
[email protected]
Then I made a plate that seals off the end of the transaxle and also serves as a mount.

Attachments

• trans mt 5-12.jpg
    trans mt 5-12.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
You can convert the Subi boxes (the same ones are used across virtually all of their platforms, not just the Impreza) to 2WD on either output, either just using what would have been the FWD and not use the tail output or you can disable what would have been the FWD output and just use the tail output.

Either way, I am sure there was a reason why either the Subi 5sp or 6sp couldn't be used in the SL-C... I tried searching through more threads last night but I still couldn't find the reason.

To try and keep costs (and weight) WAAAAY down I'm trying to get away with a fairly stock VQ35DE and a subi 5sp transaxle (the 6sp weighs a LOT more but is invariably a LOT stronger).

I really want to make that 2000-2200lbs SL-C (with interior!) a reality.

Well you can weld up the centre diff then the box can only cope with (roughly) half its rated torque... Same issue with the Audi/Skoda 01E.

Far better off with the proper 2wd version or to replace the hollow shaft/centre shaft with a one piece shaft.

If you're not going for that much power the 2wd 01E I'd have thought is an option, its rated at 450Nm in a much heavier car.

LS, 930 transaxle, done

You reckon you can get an SL-C down to the required weight with that combo? The cost will still be significantly higher though...

Subaru 2WD Conversion Kit - Bremar Automotion

This is one of the conversions I was thinking of, I've heard the same that it will (roughly) half the rated torque of the box and I'm not arguing this point, I'm just not sure I understand why, other than that before perhaps the torque rating was essentially just the FWD + RWD torque rating total and now you only have the FWD torque rating left...

That being said, being AWD is significantly harder on the box so whilst I wouldn't expect it to half the torque rating, I would have thought the net result is that you probably wouldn't actually loose that much.

In addition to the fact that the SL-C would be anywhere from 500lbs to nearly 1000lbs lighter than the Impreza, you're in with a good chance and if it really worries you there is always this:

1st to 4th Helical Cut Synchromesh Gearset for WRX 5 Speed - Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

Ben,

If you want light, why not build up a WRX drivetrain and drop it into the SLC? Cheap, ummm... Distinctive sound (I hate WRX and sti engine sounds... But to each their own), and LOTS of room for plumbing, electrical, etc.

Whilst think about that.

Whilst.

Whilst. Whilst. Whilst.

Just kidding. But serious on the Scubi drivetrain idea.

Edit: Does anyone know of a Subaru powered SLC? Has it been done?

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what you mean, I believe there is around another 100lbs to be saved if using the EJ20/EJ25 engine however, WHILST ( ;) ) I personally don't mind the sound of the subi engine, there is only so far I'm prepared to compromise, I prefer the sound of a V6 MORE and I'm prepared to take that particular penalty.

Otherwise there are probably 'better' 4cylinder engines that weigh just the same (albeit with a higher CoG) but are much easier to extract power out of...

Nope, I'm definitely okay with this compromise.

Don't personally know of a Subi powered SL-C but I'm pretty certain Fran mentioned some Porsche powered SL-C's....

Subaru drivetrain

The 6 cyl Subaru engine is only 3/4 in longer than the 4 cyl and mates to the 4 cyl gearbox.

Attachments

• frame r3-4 5-12.jpg
    frame r3-4 5-12.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 493
Re: Subaru drivetrain

The 6 cyl Subaru engine is only 3/4 in longer than the 4 cyl and mates to the 4 cyl gearbox.

The EZ30/36 is, the EG33 as a good few inches larger.

EZ30/36 is more modern with more electronics/complications... What are you using to control it? I've looked at the EZ30/36 quite a bit and I actually quite like that engine and it's sound so maybe?

My understanding is that they do not hold up to high powered V8s. There are companies that specialize in making them stronger for rally use. I will be using the 2008 5 speed WRX version with a turbo 3.0 6 cyl - about 440 hp and 400 lb-ft torque (at wheels). It will be driven on the street and in club racing events. The car should be on the road next week if all goes well and I will let you know how the transmission holds up.

Welcome to the party John.... what are you building? and how long have you been at it. Pretty cool stuff rockonsmile

Welcome to the party John.... what are you building? and how long have you been at it. Pretty cool stuff rockonsmile

Thanks, Jim
open 2 seat track day car, tube frame, mid engined 3.0 6 cyl turbo Subi. Carbon bodywork. Gas spring suspension units - adjustable spring rate, ride height and 5 way adjustable damping.

Expect it to weigh ~1800 lb. w/ 440whp - will know soon as it should run next week.

Attachments

• Niprotek proto 1.jpg
    Niprotek proto 1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 326
Back