Were UN1s used by Peugeot or Citroen?

Somebody was telling me that Peugeot used the UN1 box behind some diesels. Curious to know if this is correct. What about Citroen?

As far as my little knoledge on UN gearboxes allow me to go, nor Peugeot or Citroen mounted Renault UN gearboxes in their cars.

Cheers

Stephane

Another interesting old rumor. I was once told by a friend in France that the Renault boxes we are using were a production line version of one of there GP car boxes. I have not the slightest idea if this is true!

Last edited:
Hard to say or to find any informations on this.

GP cars details are unfortunately very hard to find, so I can't confirm or infirm.

Anyway, if it is, it should be with 70's gp cars.

But what I can confirm is that, most of the time, Renault used the UN gearboxes in their rallye cars with just slight modifications.

The engineering of the gearbox and the size of the pinions indicates clearly, for me, the use or reuse of a racing drawing by the engineers who designed it.

Cheers

Stephane

Another interesting old rumor. I was once told by a friend in France that the Renault boxes we are using were a production line version of one of there GP car boxes. I have not the slightest idea if this is true!

I would find that hard to believe considering the UN boxes are synchromesh and virtually every racing box of the 1980's era used dog rings. Was there ever a synchromesh F1 gearbox?

I would find that hard to believe considering the UN boxes are synchromesh and virtually every racing box of the 1980's era used dog rings. Was there ever a synchromesh F1 gearbox?

It is not uncommon to see race designed boxes with dog rings get modified for production use and change over to synchromesh.

Also, GTO Racing makes a pretty straightforward swap for UN1s involving straight cut gears and dog rings. So, it is not a stretch to think that the UN1s could have been derived from race boxes.

Ian

Albins also do dog and part dog conversions. Here's a shot of their c/r 1st and 2nd dog conversion which combines with normal 3rd 4th and 5th syncro gears.

UN1options1009002.jpg

Thanks for the advice about Renault being the only large company using the UN1s. Pity. I've been on a quest to get as many as I can and have 5 so far.

It is not uncommon to see race designed boxes with dog rings get modified for production use and change over to synchromesh.

Also, GTO Racing makes a pretty straightforward swap for UN1s involving straight cut gears and dog rings. So, it is not a stretch to think that the UN1s could have been derived from race boxes.

Ian
Still find it hard to believe the UN box could be a Renault F1 derivative. Definitely no provision for quick change gears since you have to split the case. The last F1 box with that limitation was probably the ZF 5DS12 used in the Lotus 49 in 1967. I believe they had to bring numerous boxes to GP's with different gears and diff ratios.

Still find it hard to believe the UN box could be a Renault F1 derivative. Definitely no provision for quick change gears since you have to split the case. The last F1 box with that limitation was probably the ZF 5DS12 used in the Lotus 49 in 1967. I believe they had to bring numerous boxes to GP's with different gears and diff ratios.

Considering that the 369 was the predecessor to the UN1, and many of the parts are interchangeable, and the 369 appeared in the mid 70's, the time frame still fits.

Ian

Considering that the 369 was the predecessor to the UN1, and many of the parts are interchangeable, and the 369 appeared in the mid 70's, the time frame still fits.

Ian

So the 369 was a F1 gearbox? News to me. The longitudinal split case of all Renault production boxes from 336 to NG to UN series does not allow quick change gears. Additionally by the 1980's Renault F1 boxes were semi automatic.

Back