What engine and induction are you running?

Was searching the posts and couldnt find one that really gave a definitive answer.

I have seen posts on the 302's and 351W, a few on the Modulars
I have seen posts on Weber carbs, Four Barrels and EFI

I am leaning toward 302, 347. How many of you have had success with a modular?

I like the look of the weber set up, but then again, the tried and true 5.0 fuel injection looks efficient and limitless.

Two basic questions:
1. What engine are you all running overall?
2. What induction system are you all running?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Two basic questions:
1. What engine are you all running overall?
2. What induction system are you all running?

1) 331 Stroker - Scat Steel crank, I-Beam rods, SRP Forged flat top pistons, Dart PRO1 heads, Inglese/Comp-Cams "Weber" roller cam

2) 48 IDA Webers

Why 331 rather than 347? I don't believe that the stock blocks are up to regular abuse when swinging more weight/stroke than that of the 331.

IMG_1639.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok so I'm different (Not my choice of engine as I bought a part built kit)

Rover V8 type block that is numbered as one destined for Margan
Then extensively reworked by John Eales of British Touring car fame
He took it up to full TVR race specification

I run it on EFi through a system known as the Lucas Hotwire system.

So certainly not quite the "norm" if there is such a thing in a batch of GT40s

Ian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
427 cubic inch, Dart 351W aluminum block, 225 AFR heads, solid roller, comp cam, TWM throttle body injection. (had the webers Randy has on his engine but would not fit under the rear deck lid) Electromotive TEC2 EFI, MSD DIS4 with individual coils.

The motor is far more HP than the car needs and is above my skills to handle, I have learned to be very very careful on the throttle.

For some reason I can't post pictures, the attach files box will not open.

Last edited:
I went with a 302/306 built by Keith Craft Racing with DYNATEK Injection. Dyno put it at 385HP for my car. Reason for the choice of the 302 was two fold - I wanted the same engine found in the GT40 MKI and I wanted it rated at about the same horsepower I have read about these cars having.

I like the look of the Weber carburetors, but want the computer controlled fuel management. The 5.0 fuel injection won't look vintage, but there are other options to fuel injection that looks like a carburetor under an air cleaner.

I think the modular engine would look good in the MKII.

I think as with anybody it all boils down to how much you can spend and what is acceptable to you that won't look original on your car.

Regards

Last edited:

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
347 w/ forged internals, Trickflow heads massaged by Total Engine Airflow, Levy Racing cam, Pierce Weber 48IDAs - Old School :thumbsup:

Peak Torque - 455 ft/lb @ 4500 rpm
Peak Horsepower - 462 hp @ 6100 rpm

Mar22_012.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
'68 302 bored out a bit to 307, AFR 185 heads hand ported, Scat forged rotating assembly, Comp hydraulic cam, and Holley 650 DP. Some of these choices weren't mine- Burtonsville Performance Machining, who built the engine, had some recommendations. I suspect the engine may have power too far up the band, since it is limited to 6500 revs. On the dyno it made 360 hp. It may make a bit more with a GT40 exhaust system and 44IDF Webers. Hopefully it won't make any less.

302 Ford Racing crate engine, Ford aluminum heads, Holley, no idea about the rotating assembly, 345hp (bolted up to a bone stock audi 016) - pretty exciting eh??

Incidentally, the modular engine is really, really big in comparison (pic attached).

Attachments

• dimensions.jpg
    dimensions.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 471

Pat

Supporter
My '40 has a 5.0L Ford HO Motorsport block, Edelbrock heads, manifold abd 6504BBL to a vanilla Audi 16.

Keith Craft 331 SBF, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Quickfuel 680, MSD ignition components.

Attachments

• RCR 40 complete 1.jpg
    RCR 40 complete 1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 291
351 Windsor, bored 60 over, stroked to 392ci.(we think), internally balanced, Comp roller cam, roller rockers, AFR 205 heads, port matched to intake, TWM intake and throttle bodies F.A.S.T. XFI and XIM controllers and ignition. Currently working out the bugs.
P1010015.jpg

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Craft 331 SBF, Edelbrock Performer RPM, BIggs Holley 650 DP, MSD ignition components.

Hmmmmm.....sounds familiar!

What do you think about the Ford Racing Engine? When I start my build I was looking at the Ford Racing Engine 392ci with the Dynatek Classic Fuel Injection system. Two motors are available in the 392ci series. One of the motors has the GT40 heads and the other which puts out more horsepower comes with Z aluminum heads with duel bolt patterns. Is anyone familiar with the Z head and do you know if this head will work with the GT40 manifold hookup?

Last edited:

Charlie M

Supporter
1. 347 stroker w/Edelbrock Performer heads
2. TWM throttle bodies (EFI w/Weber look), Accel Gen 7 engine management

Back