What is Your favourite Movie and Why?

Keith

Right, I promised to 'fess up.

FALLING DOWN

Try to tell me you DON'T have massive sympathy for this ordinary fucked up little guy when everything goes wrong for him. (I won't believe you)

Tell me you don't secretly enjoy him getting his revenge against the gangs and the Burger Joint. (Of course you do - I just love it!)

Tell me you didn't have at least one parent that tried to overprotect you from a dangerous world or another that was jealous of your youthful freedoms. (Hmm, well, you probably could at that - but I can't.. :( )

Tell me you don't weep for him just a little trying to make it to his daughters birthday and try to imagine how many millions more must be like him in the world of ordinary people. (If you don't exhibit some manly moisture - I would be massively disappointed and we could not be friends under any circumstances - those of us that have experienced the pain of such enforced separation, I don't know, but for me, it was worse than the other thousand worst things...)

There. Now you know. I wanted to like the movie "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks, but the movie did not aspire to the dizzy heights of power and literature exhibited by the book. I am a history buff - anything historical, just not anything with Mel Gibson in it but I further confess - although typically historically mangled like all other Gibson platforms, I thought Apocalypto absolutely superb and brilliantly casted and executed.

That's it really although Erich Maria Remarque gets a special mention in dispatches - another tour de force of the highest order.

As you can possible tell, Blockbuster & Nettflix make fuck all from me :)

Falling Down is not in my usual genre of taste. But to me, it is so totally powerful and believable and probably only cost $100,000 to make and if you wanted to demonstrate to an alien recently landed on our shores some of the flaws and frustrations in our modern society, you would consider this to be 2 hours well spent for him to watch whilst refuelling and getting the fuck out of Dodge while he still had wheels on his ship.

Back to the Future. Watching it, I realized that I was stuck and settled like George McFly. I was going nowhere being young, married, and with a new baby at the time. I quickly picked myself up and made something of myself. Like George, it was just one decision that changed my life and the life of my kids.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Akira Kurosawa's "RAN"

Samurai epic version of Shakespeare's King Lear. I saw it first many years ago on a big screen with the full Dolby sound. I doubt if you can get this repeated nowadays.
I like it for many reasons, stunning cinematography, fantastic sound track, epic scale, brilliant director, I love samurai type films, Shakespeare derived plot etc. etc.
PS RAN means chaos.

Plus I have two sons and quickly learned about sibling rivalry. I learned to never buy a red ball for one and a blue ball for the other. Buy them both the same ball. Also if they have to share a chocolate bar - one cuts it in two and then the other one choses which piece.

Here is a trailer - but the film is far better than this shows.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbfDntoRRk]Ran Trailer - Akira Kurosawa - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers
Mike

Plus I have two sons and quickly learned about sibling rivalry. I learned to never buy a red ball for one and a blue ball for the other. Buy them both the same ball. Also if they have to share a chocolate bar - one cuts it in two and then the other one choses which piece.

We were given one ball only and if there were a chocolate bar to share, it was simply thrown into our pit and we fought for it!

Keith

There's so many great movies its hard to have a favorite. I'll recommend five.

In Bruges (writing and use of f*** 126 times or 1.18 times a minute)
In Bruges (2008) - IMDb

Man on Fire (action with Denzel and Dakota)
Man on Fire (2004) - IMDb

Seconds (truly creepy)
Seconds (1966) - IMDb

The Fall (visuals and no CGI)
The Fall (2006) - IMDb

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (modern noir)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - IMDb

With heaps of reservations I do agree about "In Bruges" but why I cannot say. I abhor the gratuitous violence of the genre and yet I am drawn to it.

Therefore I MUST disregard it..

Back