Wheel Styes & UK suppliers

Prefered wheel style for GT40 replica

• Total voters
Can anyone help with UK suppliers for decent replica wheels for a 40 replica. I'm looking for options including adators and spinners etc. I've found some decent US suppliers but the exchange rate and shipping is not making them look like an option at the moment.

I can bring them in cheaper if i buy 5 sets, and that might be an option but i'd have to collect together other like minded builders first, or know that the styles i bought in would be popular enough to sell on reasonably quickly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Halibrand style or the BRM style would be most popular? I personally prefer the BRM.

Thoughts anyone?

D.

Attachments

• DSCF2105.jpg
    DSCF2105.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 758
Mine are Image Halibrand type pin drive with the wineglass shape. These more suit the MkII

Steve

Attachments

• 100_1919.jpg
    100_1919.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 642
Thanks everyone. Image were my original choice, but, never been sure about split rims since we had major problems at Le Mans with them.

Anyone got any opinions about wheel sizes?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I currently have Compomotive three piece Halibrand style wheels and when I lost a spinner it took forever to get one as it had to come out of the UK, so I guess that Compomotive could be another choice.

I'm going for true knock-offs here in a month or two, I assume most on the US side are opting for the Vintage Wheels offerings? I'm still debating the 15" to 17" dia. wheel to tire argument thing, but it may get resolved by the size of my new front rotors forcing 17".

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got the Image wheel's Halibrand stlyle (but they have both of the styles you've mentioned). When I purchased these late last year, Image was just about finished with their in-house version of a centerlock assembly (they previous would machine a wheel to match your existing centerlock system). Their centerlock was a little too pricy for me being the exchange rate was making this deal (4 wheels only) pretty expensive anyway. What I like is their anodized or ceramic coated shell options, plus the almost unlimited offsets and widths (that is what really sold me on them).

standard.jpg

Ox

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Superformance get their 15 inch Halibrand wheels?

Unlike everyone else's replica Halibrands, those look to have the correct "wine glass" shape rather than the flatter face sold through Vintage Wheels for example (but which are still very nice - have them on my GT40).

MWGT40

Supporter
Personally I would ship them in from Vintage Wheels (15"). I have three sets of them (not for sale, I use them for different tyre sets as I race) and they look totally authentic. I have never had any issues with them and the service from the company is first rate.

The Vintage wheels, but BRM style is the way i want to go. They are moving factory at the moment and there are some delays with that.

The mods to the wheels and adaptors to take European Ford PCD are a bit pricey and the shipping costs etc bump the costs up. That's why i'm contemplating bring more sets in than i need just be more economical overall.

Thanks for the replies it has confirmed what i had hoped was the case.

D.

My knowledge of GT40s is limited and this is all new to me but were FIA style halibrands (as used on 289 race Cobras) ever offered as an option?

Cheers
Ash

Be careful with Vintage Wheels, some of there peg/pin drive machining on the rear of the wheel can be a bit suspect. My 17" BRM's are less than perfect. Also good idea to repaint or finish as it seems they also suffer from premature corrosion issues under the laquer without surface penetration, mine are not the only ones that have done that.

Back