Why I love Ford engines

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Spoke to the Lambo Gallardo driver who blew an engine at Phillip Island during our race meeting a few months ago and he has had to import a new engine. Cost $50,000
That's why I love Ford engines much cheaper for 500hp.
He also described an interesting characteristic of the car, under hard braking into turn one he experienced a loud bang.Turns out this is normal and after these events the body bolts have to all be loosened and retightened.He has sold the Lambo and is looking into a Dodge Viper, don't think the cornering will match the Lambo but fast in a straight line.

Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
.He has sold the Lambo and is looking into a Dodge Viper, don't think the cornering will match the Lambo but fast in a straight line.
Ross

You are right - it won't match it, I think it'll surpass it. I remember lots of discussions on the Lotus forums about Vipers: "well, they won't handle and brake as well as the Lotus" and so on. No, far as I can tell they handle and brake better when properly setup. And the V10 is a torque monster.

Fantastic cars those Vipers and relatively cheap in the US. Setup for track work they are awesome!

R

Amen to that!! - my experience of Vipers thus far having driven Supercharged GTS and GT3 Comp Coupe is that they handle very well.

They also seem relatively 'bomb-proof' to the loads that 90% of club drivers put them through.

Attachments

• p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 211
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 218
Lambo is not a race car, just a luxury expensive toy for rappers and mafiosi.
They dont have the appeal and neither the performances of Ferrari, its just a different Audi,more trendy and fashionable cause newer models every 2 years.
Saw ALL the ones from "Milano lambo club" lapping in Monza some months ago....and after 3 laps,no one car was able to brake decently in the "variante" (and Monza track direction wellknows this,and leaved all the safety lines completely open).
2 of theme (Murcielagos) also blowed the engines..and all people there started a too big laugh.
A decent race car (including a shitty old and cheap Tourism car) simply destroy theme,with incredible shame of the rich driver.
Pilots never use that in a track,cause all know they will be pissed off at once,Lambo is just a very nice production car. :)..and I see theme EVERY day,cause live 500 meters from Milano main lambo dealer,its a real pleasure for eyes,but really too far away from something racing (also in costs).
Try simply match one..with an old Catheram.. ;)and not in straights....

Surely the Viper will be much more fun to drive for your freind (also if I will choose the new zr1 btw,that is also cheaper....personal choiche eh....)

Last edited:
With my 40 and 355 side by side, I did some comparison out of curiosity. The LS7 is roughly 20 inches cubed, +/- an inch. The 355 motor is a bit shorter (about 18 inches) and a bit wider (about 24 inches). Both are all aluminum dry sump. The LS7 is 2x the displacement at 7 liters vs. 3.5. The 355 motor makes about 380 hp and 275 ft pounds, the LS7 makes 500+ and 460 ft pounds.
A 355 motor is about 40k.
The LS7 is about 13k.

In defense of Lambo (and keeping in mind that I am an Audi fan, so that is a plus, not a detractor) the new 560/4 motor is pretty stunning, both on paper and in person. The sound is absolutely unreal. If you want an everyday exotic that is good for a track day or two in the hands of an inexperienced yahoo (like me) then it is a pretty good choice, if you have the coin. But racing is not what Lambo has been about since inception. Although I hear they are going to start with the 560/4.

I do always laugh at the Ferrari guys who put down Lambo because they don't race, and then put them down again because they are just Audis. So which is it, because I think Audi has done a race or two...?

Back