1149 Mono Replica

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
These were very cool cars, with a lot of features that were far ahead of their time: front wheel drive, CV joints, disappearing headlights, no running boards, preselector gearbox, and styling that is ageless. They were also prone to overheating and the preselector gearbox was evidently difficult to keep going without trouble. But many of them have survived and have been restored. Jay Leno has one that is a virtual twin to the car I saw- a dark red Westchester four-door sedan.

I wouldn't trade my GT40 for one....but I'd be tempted, and I would seriously think about a partial ownership trade. Maybe next time I'll get a ride in the car I saw the other day. It was a big deal to actually get to look at one close up and sit in it and think about the fact that this car is 75 years old, or something like that, and still alive and kicking.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
A bit of progress; stopped by the trim shop the other day and Mike is roughing in the seats. He is going to put a piece of closed-cell foam under each trampoline; even stretching the webbing as tight as I could, I could not get enough tension to keep the seat from bottoming out (pun intended) on bumps. This may help. I might have something I can sit in and try out within a few weeks. It's starting to get cool around here, so maybe I'll get some driving in after all.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...; even stretching the webbing as tight as I could, I could not get enough tension to keep the seat from bottoming out (pun intended) on bumps. .

What did they do in the originals? Did they simply stretch the webbing further through some tool or technique unknown to us?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Alan, I don't know. I got the instructions on how far and how tight to stretch the webbing from about the best source you could imagine, someone who has restored quite a few of these cars and at least one PB winner I know of. And I don't think we could have gotten it any tighter. As you know, it is a lot easier to stretch something perpendicular to its axis than end to end. Like when you want to use a rope to pull your car out of a ditch, you tie one end to the car, one to a tree, and pull sideways on the middle of the rope. That is kind of what is operating here; I think that the closed-cell foam under the webbing will do the job. I have only seen a few originals and all of them had older interiors. The Safir cars don't use the webbing at all, I don't think. So I was kind of on my own. Plus I used permanent hooks on both ends- there is another way to do it that I saw on old photos where you use a permanent hook on one end and a sliding hook on the other, with a part that tightens and holds the strap from slipping. It's possible that such an arrangement would permit tighter straps. I don't know. Anyway, its done the way it is and seems okay so far. I think if the trim shop does a good job with the seats it will be fine.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Nice visit from Ronnie Spain, who has forgotten more about GT40s than probably anyone else on the planet still knows. And some complimentary remarks about 1149, for which I am extremely grateful. Ronnie, thanks for making time to visit us...hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Seats made and in...will try for photos tomorrow if situation permits. First peek they look pretty good. We'll see if my head hits the roof :)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Some quick shots of 1149s interior. Note that we copied the seat appearance and materials from 1043, the car which belongs to Colin Comer (thanks to Colin for providing photos of the interior of 1043 for our use) The leather made up to match came from Keleen Leathers in Chicago, IL. I will be ordering more to complete the door panels and other trim. There is a lot of the embossed material left over, so maybe I will have some luggage made up. Oh, wait- there's nowhere to put it, is there...

1043 was fitted, I think, with an upgraded interior from the factory- the grommets were left out and the nylon ballistic cloth was upgraded to leather,although evidently the textured seating areas were vinyl, something I didn't know when I ordered the leather to match them. But I liked that look and decided to emulate it for my car. The center console was done to match photos of both 1043 and 1072, the Marriott collection GT40. The seats are very comfortable- I will have to move the pedal assembly an inch or two towards the radiator to get some room back. Overall the seating position seems fine, which is a good thing, since not much can be done to change it. How they got in and out of these cars quickly for pit stops is totally beyond me. And how Dan Gurney fit in one of these cars even WITH the bubble is beyond me as well. I am only 5'8" and my head is perilously close to the roof. I included some other vintage Ford shots from a local informal car meet here in Annapolis- two vintage GT350s and a nice old flathead, which if you think about it, is where all this came from in the first place.

Attachments

• 20111105_502.JPG
    20111105_502.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 834
  • 20111105_504.JPG
    20111105_504.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 869
  • 20111105_506.JPG
    20111105_506.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 852
  • 20111105_514.JPG
    20111105_514.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 793
  • 20111105_517.JPG
    20111105_517.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 757
  • 20111105_516.JPG
    20111105_516.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 674

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We ran out of hides to make the interior out of, and I had to order more. Which came today, so with some luck 1149s upholstery will get wrapped up fairly soon. I still have to insulate the rear panel, and do something about carpet or rubber mats, but we are definitely in the final stretch (no pun intended) of the interior work.

It's supposed to snow here in the next few days. Imagine that. Probably not a great idea to drive it in the snow...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Just a quick note to say thanks to Ron McCall, who turned 1149 into a real car in 2011, God bless him. And thanks to everyone else who helped as well- if I wrote out the entire list, I'd still be typing tonight when the ball dropped.

It's nearly seventy degrees here on the Outer Banks today. Sure, it'll get colder and there really will be winter, but for today it's at least nice to have a decent ending to a year which hit so many people so hard. Hope 2012 is great for all- lots of fast laps and no adventures into the barriers. On the track, and in life as well.

Happy New Year, Jim.

Glad to hear you are finalizing your car! Keep those pictures coming. Looking forward to see how it is coming along

Take care!
JP

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Door panels are in, although no photos yet of them. I also ordered the Teknofibra insulation from Essex, for the panel at the back of the passenger compartment- I remember reading about this material on this forum, and it's supposed to be the best insulator commonly available for this purpose. If anyone has had any experience with it, I would like to hear about it- anything unusual about applying it, or keeping it in place, or experiences with it up til now.

The last part of the interior to go in will be the carpets, and then, for the moment, all construction ceases, and we are going to spend some time getting it running again and get some seat time in her and sort things out. This will mean that I finally have to break down and buy an EZPass, as there aren't a lot of open roads on this side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and it's difficult to pay tolls through the window of a GT40, especially when you're sitting on the wrong side of the car......we should all have such problems.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
A grateful nod of the head to JimmyMac, who found a Lucas driving light flasher switch and bespoke bracket for my car, in his stash of GT40 bits. Many thanks, James, for your help and encouragement.

Jim,

Would you post a lot of pictures of your car? I find your thread is missing some! Just to help me spending a good evening...

There should be a rule for mono builders obliging them to post each time.lots of pics! =~)

Back