1149 Mono Replica

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Message from Ron today, who dropped the oil pan, fitted a new rear mail seal (this one installed correctly with an offset etc) and cleaned up the pan and fitted new gaskets and all the rest. Also determined that the valve covers are leaking a bit, too. If all that holds, next is the carburetors. Also got the parking brake working, that's about done. I am stuck at work the next few days and can't get away. Hope to see her early next week as I have to work through the weekend, dammit. Anyway, some progress.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Got the Weber bits we needed from CB performance in CA- this is a VW outfit, but they have a lot of IDF bits and pieces, for those who need them. Going back up to Ron's today to put things back together and see how she runs, maybe...keep your fingers crossed.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Nice drive in GT40 today.. maybe eight or ten miles, up the road. Engine and carbs are vastly improved, with the new base gaskets sealing everything up. Still a slight hesitation but really the engine revs freely and pulls willingly. All the other stuff like brakes, clutch steering are fine... the transmission is just terrific, the action of the ZF feels like a rifle bolt. Yet another set of tires on order (advice to all, do NOT try BFG Drag Radials unless you plan to drag race the car, they are not the tire for this car. The BFG G-Force Ultras are fine for the front, I wish so much they made the size for the rear of the car, what a dream that would be) Some sort of electrical gremlin in the turn signals. So close, now.

Those little opening windows in the side windows are in and look great. The hardware came from Jay Cushman, works exactly right and looks it, too. We have a lot of small SS screws for that left over, if anyone needs them. Like several dozen from McM-Carr. The emergency brake, which was designed, obtained, and fitted entirely by Ron McCall, works perfectly. (I ran out of fuel and had to pull over and switch tanks, so I had to use it)

I can't wait to actually GO someplace in it. Today I felt like Jacky Ickx- that is, Jacky Ickx being sent out to the grocery store for coffee and smokes, but still, Jacky Ickx. Thanks to all for their continuing support and help.

Congrats Jim

Can exactly follow your feelings. It is great to have it up and running and experience the first drives.

Cudos also to RON who does a great job again.

How is your turnsignal generated: Relais or by an electronic CPU device ?

Why not going for the AVONS CR6ZZ ?

Hi Jim!
How happy you should be! The end of a long trip, and the beginning of another maybe more exciting for you...

Concerning your tyres, I heard a few months back that michelin was up to release specials vintage tyres adapted to this kind of cars, did you check with michelin? Regardless any 'chauvinisme" Michelin tyres are probably the bests availables. Expensives, but for sure they rocks!

Olivier.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The turn signal is a standard flasher and relays worked by a SPDT switch on the dash. (push left for left, push it right for right) There is no canceling, you have to remember it. I think the same flasher works the four-ways, which DO work. Something is loose someplace.

Michelin are making tires in these sizes, available only through Coker in this country. They are astonishingly expensive. A set would be more than $2000 US. The Avons are my ultimate destination on this, but until I get the car fully sorted out and the interior work finished and recover from that financially, I have to find less expensive tires for it. (there have been a lot of unexpected expenses lately which had nothing to do with the GT40) I have the impression that the Michelins may be racetrack tires but I am not certain.

I had a ride in John's car, which is shod with Avons, and he loves them- says they are fine. When the interior is done, and I am all finished with everything else, then my gift to the car will be a new set of dancing shoes- CR6-ZZs.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Which of the drag radials are/were you using?

There have been a number of people that had nothing bad to say about them for use on street and track on these cars and Cobras..

Air pressure was?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We used the BFG Drag Radials, with about forty pounds of air. There is too much sidewall flex per Ron, who knows this far better than I do. I think we bought the wrong tires- they are probably great for drag racing, where you need all that sidewall flex to hook up, but not for road and road course driving.

We only have a few dozen miles on them- the bumps are still there and they haven't been really warmed up. Someone will want them for a drag car.

Chuck

Supporter
Congrats Jim! Those first drives are never forgotten.

Sounds like a leaky base gasket on the Webers? Glad that got sorted out.

I wired our turn signal with a toggle for left and right as well. I am guessing it is probably the same Lucas switch. But if memory serves there were separate blinkers for the turn indicators and the four way flashers. I think I have a wiring diagram if it would help.

Chuck

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ron did the wiring; he knows what's in there. Some piece of it has malfunctioned, evidently. We'll sort it out. It's the perfect setup for an old guy like me- I can leave my turn signal on for miles at a time....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I think there is a motorcycle aftermarket device which sarts beeping after 30 seconds of turn signal. I often forgot the turn signal on my Ducati and was about to fit one.
But with daytime driving, it does seem an old mans problem.
Miles Jim? I think I've got as far as Paris before remembering to cancel.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I think there is a motorcycle aftermarket device which sarts beeping after 30 seconds of turn signal. I often forgot the turn signal on my Ducati and was about to fit one.
But with daytime driving, it does seem an old mans problem.
Miles Jim? I think I've got as far as Paris before remembering to cancel.

David,

No, you didn't "forget" to cancel the signal, you are just going around the world, to the left!

Here in the US most Buicks and Cadillacs come with the signals "factory on" for the target demographic drivers.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have seen the automatic cancelling device; I might get one for my bike, a Triumph Bonneville. I also suggested it to David Kirkham, because those cars do not have self-cancelling signals either. Basically it is a timer which times out after about 30 secs.

But then I'd have to find another way to alert everyone that I'm a old fart driving a young man's car....

Jim:
I have seen a turn signal setup that counted the pulses from the speedo. Basically it can be set for any number of pulses, and will cancel the turn indicators after a preset distance, kind of nice when waiting for a left turn for example.
I think there also was a 4 way mode that remained on until cancelled.
Just a thought
Car looks great
Cheers
Phil

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Tires arrived today- bigger BFGs for the front, Hankooks for the rear, we'll see how those work. Webers about dialed in, and SW pumps back on the car. Thinking about another trip to the paint shop for retouching and some detail body work.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like you are just about there Jim, congrats and any words of advice for someone just starting a build like yours??? (apart from dont!!!)

Andy

Back