1149 Mono Replica

Jim, good to hear from your. Have thought about your build in the past, really enjoy your car and the detail you put into it.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hello to all, I got an email from Graham who emailed me by mistake and is probably regretting waking up this old decrepit monster.... anyway, a shout out to all. 1149 has had her carbs overhauled by Ron, and I hope to get them back on and get her running post haste. While we still have driving weather. And, good news: they took the tollbooths away from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, so I can drive over to the Eastern Shore and let the caar out a bit on that long stretch to Delaware.... not that I would drive over the limit, certainly not. Not me.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Just an update, but full details in engine forum section. We fired the car up, had a leak from a block crack, rebuilt the engine within a new block, now sorting out misc leaks and hope to have her on her feet within a few weeks from now. Very keen to have her on the road for some exercise. I am no race driver but letting her out a bit certainly is in the plan.... will post follow up.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Short update: this winter's project was, first, to fit a set of Webers to my Kirkham Cobra. I bought the Weber kit from Steve at Top End Performance in CA- we installed it, the engine fired up immediately, minimal adjustments if any at all. The guy really knows his stuff, seriously.

I have the same Weber setup, 4x44IDF, on my GT40, for which we had recently rebuilt the engine with a new 1970 302 block as the original one had cracked (see sad story above). The GT40 had never run as well as the Cobra did with the kit right out of the box, and Steve was kind enough to help us with different chokes, jets, etc. Result is that the car runs MUCH better than it did. We have had a late, wet, cold and uninspiring spring here in MD, until the last day or two, so neither car has been really road tested the way it should, and I am going out of town for a day or two, but we hope to thoroughly road test BOTH cars in the next week or so. Fingers crossed on the weather, and also for a good outcome. The rebuilt engine runs fine, we just want to see how the car likes it.

Back