550 rs speedster replica

Found this website about the rs 550 speedster replica.
seems very nice to me..i dunno much more about those replicas.

http://www.vintagespyders.com/

are theme usually accurate?.Was this the James dean car "little bastard".
Seems there are several 550 replica manifacturer...who is the best? (Fran..your opinion at first:Dplz)

would like to know a little more.

Is really far away from the true steel we usually talk about here inisde,even for power and even for beauty, but I think is a very nice car too:D

Paolo

Attachments

• 64953403_1.jpg
    64953403_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 889
  • 64953403_2.jpg
    64953403_2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 911

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Want one with a Porsche flat 6???

glarrivee said:
another manufacturer of the spyder is Thunder Ranch. I believe their web site is www.thunderranch.com

Thunder Ranch even fits their 550 replica with a Porsche flat 6, for those for whom VW power might just not be enough. This might give one of our SBF 40's a run for it's $$.

Check out their 550-A6 at: http://www.thunderranch.com/550.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the A6 model.

This just happens to be my daughter's dream car, so if I ever buy a turnkey it will probably be a TR 550-A6. For me, though, I want the experience of building my own GT40 kit--no turnkey 40 for me!!

Doug

I have had one for about 15 years...fun, low cost, and easy to work on. Old school suspension makes for fun handling.

think of it as a 4 wheeled motorcycle.

by the way - if you are interested - the forum for the 550 Spyders is:

www.spyderclub.com

Mike

Last edited:
Drove a few beck spyders

They are a blast and a bargain to drive. The Thunderranch cars are a cointinuation of Beck's program (or licensed or some such) and have received some well thought improvements I have heard. Another nice feature is that these can be driven pretty sedately if your just in the mood for a sporty drive (kinda hard to do in the GT).

My Dad has a Beck Spyder. He sliced off the whole rear end, to get rid of the swing axles and made a space frame set up with trailing arms, and fitted a 2litre 6 cylinder 911T motor. It is stunning.

Attachments

• spyder.JPG
    spyder.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 826
  • spyder rear.JPG
    spyder rear.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, Beck is the best, followed by Vintage.
Vintage makes a good 356 as well. Thunder Ranch used to make
their own Spyder, but have since licensed/taken over Beck's molds.
TR also makes a 718 RS. Tom McBurnie (Thunder Ranch) is quite a
character - he made the original Miami Vice Daytona replica, and does
a Z car 250 GTO amongst others. His reputation is a little up and down
though - some people love him, others do not. Plus, he's in El Cajon which
is 5 minutes from my place.

Ian

Vintage Speedster and Vintage Spyder were spawned from one company - they are now in fact two separate companies and have been for years.

If there is a top dog in accurate spyder replicas it would be Prestige - their $100,000+ version is closer than the others at replicating the real deal.

Mike

Back