Assembling a Monocoque

Good God ...... move on, Gelscoe have !
They come on line to back another constructor and get a heap of junk from dreamers who will never get a Car till the day they die and all they can do is foul mouth down peoples throats.Its dead easy to slag off mate but very hard to do what Gox and Gelscoe have done.
Sit down, calm down and take stock.

Let the original thread take place.

As for GT40 guru, get a grip man, I know him well and its not CM believe me.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
All these noobies with less than a dozen posts coming on here and telling us idiots what is what.
Answer this one sunshine:
Why was gelscoe buying bodies from outside after the shortcomings of their original GTD bodies was pointed out ?
Post another 200 posts and then join the back of the queue.
PS, i've had a monocoque for 3 years. Game, Set & Match.

Ron Earp

Admin
As Randy pointed out, two of the three critics of Bune's work, GMS and Kojac, have the same login IP address. This would seem to suggest at a minimum these two individuals (if there are actually two individuals) share the same computer.

Furthermore, three of the critics on this thread, GMS, Kojac, and Ben Henson have a rather peculiar way of capitalizing the letter "C" in their writings with the word "Car" and "Chassis". This would suggest that indeed we have an identity problem with multiple logins as suggested by the IP addresses being the same

Guys - I don't know what the hell is going on but it stops here. This is Bune's build thread, not a discussion of who builds a better chassis. If you want to slag each other, criticize companies, answer accusations, or complain about me then start new threads in the proper areas of the forum to do so.

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I had the pleasure of visiting the GOX facility in Sweden late june this year. We (I had a group of 11 people with me) had a guided "tour" by Goran explaining every part of his project. And guys, it is IMPRESSIVE.

He is almost "insanely" dedicated to follow the original drawings (witch I have seen that he has in his possession) to the last detail. He is making his own moulds for all the casting, ha has a LOT of different machinery to be able to make all the different parts, and he is taking the time that is takes. Not to mention all the tools he makes himself.

Rune and Goran: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Everybody else: lets enjoy that someone really cares enough to spend all this time keeping the heritage alive. And not to forget; that they spend time keeping us informed of what they do!

Dont use this thread to talk down their work. Discussion is interesting and good, but I dont think it is good maners to post with an "unpolite" undertone.

I am really looking forward to see the finished car. Rune; please give me a sign when your car is home in Norway if there is some possibility to take a look.

Regards
Trond Østereng

Rune

Supporter
I'm back again. I have been working alot with the car ,but the funny thing is, that now it is not so easy to see progress :).
The chassis and body is now moved to my home in Noway. So now I will be able to work with the car every day, if my vife give me the permit to.
99% of velding is now completed. Now the grinding job start to make things look good.
I have placed the car in my workshop with normal room temp(20deg C) and low humidity.

But nothing will be done with the car until I have been in Vancouver for the winter olympics. I'm going to watch the Biathlon Feb.26. Other that will be there look for the Nowegian flag :)

Here are two pictures of some very usefull (and heavy) spotvelding tools that we had to use to be able to spotveld in front of the car and inside in the fueltanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,599
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,647

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
ANd when you're done with all those nice tools you can send them here. Yes I know they run on Euro current but we'll figure something out. :)

Rune

Supporter
Hi folks
No I'm not bored of the project, but when I took the car back to my home from GOX factory in Sweden , my vife suddenly found it easy to ask me for all things to do instead of building a "stupid car" I have used lots of time to grind the Mag velding and to work with the body thats made in original molds . And do not ask if they where straight. Now I understand that one body only fit one monoqoue. But I just go one small step at the time and see the light in the end of the tunnel.
My engine had two cyl with to thinn walls and the two cyl. has to be replaced with inserts. Otherwise the engine is ready to rebuild for 400(European) hp.
I try to keep my shop at 20 deg C but with minus 15 deg C outside it is not that easy. so I try do do some other things in the coldest time, just to please my vife. (She does not read here)
I wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
And promise to increase the work in 2011

Keith

Hi folks
No I'm not bored of the project, but when I took the car back to my home from GOX factory in Sweden , my vife suddenly found it easy to ask me for all things to do instead of building a "stupid car" I have used lots of time to grind the Mag velding and to work with the body thats made in original molds . And do not ask if they where straight. Now I understand that one body only fit one monoqoue. But I just go one small step at the time and see the light in the end of the tunnel.
My engine had two cyl with to thinn walls and the two cyl. has to be replaced with inserts. Otherwise the engine is ready to rebuild for 400(European) hp.
I try to keep my shop at 20 deg C but with minus 15 deg C outside it is not that easy. so I try do do some other things in the coldest time, just to please my vife. (She does not read here)
I wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
And promise to increase the work in 2011

Glad to hear you are pressing on, and might I add that your shop is warmer than my house! It is quite warm here at minus 8 deg C by comparision, but I cannot (economically) get my house heating above 17 - 18 deg C.

Can I please come and live in your shop? I will sweep the floor and make tea. :)

Rune,

As this is my first post after being a member for many years, I want it to be a good one.
You have done some amazing work. I have had colleagues come to my office and admire the pictures you have posted with your project. Your work is second to none. All I can do is reduce it to a singular word, WOW.

Thank You

Rune

Supporter
While building on my monocoque, I had some sticker on the 40 which I use on the road when weather is ok. The rear tyres does not like wet roads.

Attachments

• IMG_2628.JPG
    IMG_2628.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    407.6 KB · Views: 1,167

Rune

Supporter
have been busy with lots of things but try to work with the car also. The engine have taken some time ,but now things are sorted out there so the engine is in best hands . I´m preparing for painting the chassis. But it seems to be some more work to do first.
Hope it is not to long before the car can stand on the wheels now.
I have put the body away for the winter. To cold to work with that now.
And soon I will put the other gt40 on stands in my garage for some maintenance work during winter season , so I wil not run out of work the first year :)
Rune

Rune

Supporter
Some pictures just to show that the spirit are still on top

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,577
That is some incredible craftsmanship!! It's obvious the original chassis is a very complex piece. And to replicate it 100% is a testament to your skills and passion. Well done!

Rune

Supporter
Thanks Will . It is hard to have 100% spirit all time. My wife always find me working with the car when I told her I 'm doing something else :)
I'm lucky to have a gt40 with registration that can be used on the street. Then it is easier to axept that it is some time until the project will be on the road.
I will continue to feed the forum as it move forward.

Rune

Rune

Supporter
I'm not out of the game :), but I had a engine brakedown on my other gt40 with plates, so that took some time to rebuild. No engine like to run without oil. The regular oilpump failed due to the overflow valve fell out and all oil was pumped back to the oilpan.
I'm working on the GOX car almost every day, but now I'm at a stage that do not show the progress very good . I will do some update soon.
Rune

Back