Aussie GT40 Get together

I was wondering if there would be interest for a National Aussie GT40 get together in the future. Most car clubs like the Cobra club have a national event.
Similar to the Cobra Club, we could maybe have track events - show and shine - and maybe sight seeing adventures and the like. Just a thought, but is there a possibility there would be enough interest for this to happen?

Wayne

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Whats a GT40 ? :laugh:

Good idea ! -- we have established in Feb., the "Shelby Fest" at Winton Vic. The "Cobra Nationals" at Wakefield NSW. Oct. where GT40s and cars of the era are invited
Why not "Aus Lemans" at Morgan Park (or QR or Lakeside or alternate) Qld. over Easter w'end
Morgan Park would probably be more user friendly.
Happy to help out.:thumbsup:

Magic idea!

But may i suggest that for starters a truly Aus GT40 Club would help. Qld and Vic have established clubs, but the rest seem to be proud of their indiference. Sorry for the comment, but that is my reading

Coming from the Aus Clubby scene, a free wheeling, often argumentative, always entertaining group, the rarified air of GT40 ownership certainly seems to decrease the sociability of the owners.

I'd love to see further input from 40 owners/builders.

Speaking of which, there appear to be very, very few Aus builders posting on this forum. There must be more than 3 or 4 of us.

Clive

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Magic idea!

But may i suggest that for starters a truly Aus GT40 Club would help. Qld and Vic have established clubs, but the rest seem to be proud of their indiference. Sorry for the comment, but that is my reading

Coming from the Aus Clubby scene, a free wheeling, often argumentative, always entertaining group, the rarified air of GT40 ownership certainly seems to decrease the sociability of the owners.

I'd love to see further input from 40 owners/builders.

Speaking of which, there appear to be very, very few Aus builders posting on this forum. There must be more than 3 or 4 of us.

Clive

Hi Clive

Thanks for the day at the Canberra 2012 Wheels show.

I must say I was very dissapointed at the lack of 40's that failed to show up on the day.
I had expected to see more than just our 2 cars and the 2005 GT.

It seems that the GT40 owners in Sydney don't like to attend the shows or runs.

The All Ford Family day at Eastern Creek with up to 1000 ford cars only had my 40 there last year and this year.

Dimi

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Whats a GT40 ? :laugh:

Good idea ! -- we have established in Feb., the "Shelby Fest" at Winton Vic. The "Cobra Nationals" at Wakefield NSW. Oct. where GT40s and cars of the era are invited
Why not "Aus Lemans" at Morgan Park (or QR or Lakeside or alternate) Qld. over Easter w'end
Morgan Park would probably be more user friendly.
Happy to help out.:thumbsup:

+1 Chris, I would be in that. But I must say that standing around all day bored out of my wits answering inane questions while little kids drip icecream on my car has little appeal. My previous experience of car "get togethers".

Serious Pete?

I recently did the Longford Revival again and I have to say my favorite part, better even than running only 1 km/h slower on road tyres than a V8 Supercar on qualifying slicks (Aus' reference), was the interest of the kids and their dads.
I lost count of the number of kids I sat in the driving seat of my car so they could have their photos taken. Brought back memories of being sat in a Lotus open wheeler when I was a kid.

Their smiles and enthusiasm were magic.
The next generation of GT40 lovers. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
Pete and Tim, both good points. I love to sit kids in my car and see their faces light up as their Mum's and Dad's snap away but at the same time I've had a few scary moments where young unmonitored kids have begun banging wildly on my side window openings and tapped a few coins on the paint. I find it odd that while attending the Amelia Island event I see none of this type of bad behaviour. I often wonder if the parents tell them "touch any of these cars you're about to see and your A** is mine!" Its a gamble for sure....as for the inane questions a very BIG +1 on that. I try very hard not to roll my eyes at some I get. We too have a HUGE Ford only show here in Ocala, Florida and out of 1500 cars there are usually 1 or 2 GT 40's.

These days parents don't seem to supervise their kids very well. I used to take my two boys to the old Fathers Day concours at the Newporter Inn In Cal. The were like 3 & 5 or so. They were told "you touch a car & you die" LOL Serriously they were always good kids there & at other car events etc. Because I payed attention to them, what they did & the questiones they asked. Kids get bored & start doing things just to get attention or just for something to do when they'er iggnored. As some parents do at events like these. But kids like to touch. I always told my kids "you look with your eyes not your hands" & they were always wellcome in antique stores, car shows & the like.
Mike S

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Serious Pete?

I recently did the Longford Revival again and I have to say my favorite part, better even than running only 1 km/h slower on road tyres than a V8 Supercar on qualifying slicks (Aus' reference), was the interest of the kids and their dads.
I lost count of the number of kids I sat in the driving seat of my car so they could have their photos taken. Brought back memories of being sat in a Lotus open wheeler when I was a kid.

Their smiles and enthusiasm were magic.
The next generation of GT40 lovers. :)

Tim.
You are a much nicer person than I Tim. Personally I can't stand the little tackers. Maybe Tassie parents exercise more discipline on their kids than Queenslanders.

I did have one moment of panic - as one young fellow climbed out of the car I saw his foot come within an inch of my firebomb button... I remembered as I saw it that I had not disarmed it! :shocked:

I usually have more trouble with pretty young ladies draping themselves over the car for their boyfriends or whatever to take pictures of them. I have never had a kid take liberties like that.

Nice? Probably just differently grumpy Pete. :)

Tim.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Grumpy! Me? Next you will be calling me old and white::laugh:
Now I agree the pretty young ladies can be a problem......not.
Although I remember one wanted to pose topless, :eek::eek:. How embarrassing what did she take me for..........
A couple of bottles of champers and dinner as I remember.:)

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Never had a problem with female children around 16 yrs hanging around the cars:worried:

So much for all this chatter --- are you coming or not ?

As we need to book race tracks and accomodation venues etc to cater for the large entry lists...............hopefully.

We need at least 30 definite starters for this event to be warranted ......

Logistical problem for southern states as they may have to travel 4-5000klms round trip.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Never had a problem with female children around 16 yrs hanging around the cars:worried:

So much for all this chatter --- are you coming or not ?

As we need to book race tracks and accomodation venues etc to cater for the large entry lists...............hopefully.

We need at least 30 definite starters for this event to be warranted ......

Logistical problem for southern states as they may have to travel 4-5000klms round trip.

I'll be there:thumbsup:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
This is from about 4 years ago -- a track day for GT40 and cobra guys I think it was a struggle to get numbers then :huh:

Attachments

• Morgan%20Park%20-%20Cobra%20Car%20Club%20-%20060408%20004.jpg
    Morgan%20Park%20-%20Cobra%20Car%20Club%20-%20060408%20004.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 376

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Posted for Wayne ---------?

Whoa!!

If this was to happen it would need to look after the rev heads and the enthusiasts.
As I originally specked there should be track events for those that have that competitive streak and maybe tours or a rally for the enthusiasts
This would then end up with an all in social get together.

All this is open to suggestions and revision

Show and shine if desired need not be open to the public and have the problem of sticky finger problem. I foresee this as a GT40 get together and does not need to become open to the public.

Rev heads are commenting and would be accommodated but we would need to have the enthusiasts comment to see if there is an interest to make this happen and combine these events.

If the interest is there we need then to move on a making a location and then work on a committee

Wayne

Chris does that mean us poorly Cobras aren't invited? I think the reason the QLD CCC struggled at the last MP track day was because it was in November and many of the racer guys were raced out.. Plus November at MP is pretty warm.....

I'd be really keen to see a GT40 event up here....as long as us poorly cobra guys can come too....

I've been asking for a loooong time as to whether we can arrange a club track day or weekend event up here for the seemingly ages/years but it does'nt seem to get any interest... QR and MP are the obvious choice. Lakeside for noise and close proximity to concrete may be an issue....

I'm super keen to help you all arrange something..... Failing that, it'd be great to see more than just 3 or 4 GT40's at the Cobra Nationals every year.... Why not piggy back off that?

Matt

Back