Aussie pin drives

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys,

This is a question for my mates across the ditch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

I am trying to head off potential problems later on with certification of my car using pin drives and alloy spinners, two seperate issues that 'the-powers-that-be' forsee problems with.

What I should like to know, are they legal over there and if so, are any of you guys running pin drives or alloy centre lock spinners on road legal cars in Oz?

If anyone is running this setup on anything on the road in NZ I would like to know also. The authorities seem to think they don't comply and that no-one else has done it here before. I find that hard to believe./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Thanks

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Re:Road legal pin drives? Where?

A deafening silence.

Explained by the fact that I've just been informed they're NOT road legal in Oz. That could make for an uphill battle here! Well, nothing like a challenge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

What about elsewhere in the world?

Regards

Russ,
I believe that they are legal here in the UK provided you use a Nut rather a spinner for SVA, but I might be wrong...

Brett

I use Trigo pin drives on my Daytona Coupe. No one ever asked about the wheels when I registered my car. I got 8500 miles on the car so far without any problems.

The Trigos bolt direct to standard studded hubs....so
if the pin drives have a problem passing inspection....
you could install standard wheels for inspection...
and swap over the Trigos after passing....just a thought.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin

There are 1000s of Cobras running around with pin drives, KOs, and all sorts of year titles. I wouldn't worry about it, and, if someone at an inspection station actually knows what they are looking at or takes notice, go somewhere else.

Ron

Howard Jones

Supporter

Ron, is completely right. No problems with KO's here in Calif. Also the best advice I can give you when dealing with government employees is if you don't get the response you desire, thank them for the help, gather up your paperwork, leave and go somewhere else, make no mention of the first experience, and ask again. Repeat as necessary.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Mike. That is an option I'm looking at. Swapping the wheels and changing the pins to wheelstuds for certification.

Jim. If I can get them to accept the pin drives, I don't think the KOs will present a problem except we may have to do something in brass and lockwired.

Ron and Howard. Once the car is on the road after it's initial certification it won't be a problem. I agree with you about dealing with govt employees. In this case I am fortunate in so far as the local Constructors Car Club is allowed to certify members cars. They are very enthusiastic, proactive and positive and will bend over backwards in their interpretation of the rules to try and help the cars comply.

They won't compromise on safety though and they can't approve anything that is not allowed under the legislation. This is not a safety issue, it's a legislative issue, there appears to be no provision in the legislation for pin drives. Wire wheel type KO's with splined hubs are fine. I'm trying to get them to interpret the pins as a spline. Not sure how that will go.

Initial certification of cars by the club is very thorough with inspections during construction, and when completed, road tested on the track to check handling and braking prior to being certified. Really a very builder friendly process from these guys and they are immensely knowledgable and helpful.

Many of the other certifiers that non-club members must use are inconsistent, obstructive, and won't approve anything that's not built out of 1/4" plate!!!

There is another NZ member on this forum whom I have just contacted, he is planning on using pin drives also. He thinks the constuctor of his car has it sorted. If that's the case that will make it easy for me. He is getting back to me in a couple of weeks. Otherwise it will be up to me to do all the groundwork and hopefully set the precedent.

Regards

Howard Jones

Supporter

I think what happens sometimes is the DMV or whatever worker who doesn't see these kind of cars or their special issue's ofens gets confused and then just locks up on NO.

It really is about finding someone who either knows what is going on or has a real interest in finding out. Our job is to help them help us. Don't get mad and start a battle. Be nice and see if you can walk them through the process. If you run into someone who won't cooperate then just move on. Most of the time I think you will find someone who can get you what you want in the end.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

From SVA Manual UK Section 13 Page 3
d) Wheels, wheel nuts, hub caps, or wheel discs do not have any pointed or sharp edges (i.e. all edges must be blunted) whuch project beyond the external plane of the wheel rim.

c) Wheels
which must not be fitted with any wing nut

which above the horizontal plane passing through the axis of rotation, must nit project beyond the vehicle body plan form (other than in the case of tres, wheel discs annd certain wheel securing nuts)

On which any wheel disc or central securing nut that projects beyond the vwhicle body plan form does not have a radius of curvaure of less than 30mm and does not protrude more than 30mm
END QUOTE

I would thus consider the use of spinners is out but center nuts will pass subject to limitations on edges.

Ian.

Back