Aussie RCR T70 capers

Keith

Great pic there Roy, thanks
Keith, you got me worried about the vegetables or shouldn't we ask ?:D

By all means ask away. It was during an AMOC sprint at Goodwood a few years back. My Penske I.R.O.C Camaro (left - Al Unser Snr's car, from 1978 I think) had a displaced rear main oil seal so it wasn't allowed to compete, so a friend of mine with this Trans Am (right) allowed me to enter as a second driver.

PenskeCamaroPontiacTransAm.jpg

Imagine my mortification when I recorded FTD and got P1 on the day. I knew it meant I wouldn't be invited back by AMOC and I had just lost a good friend. In an effort to beat my time, he went off right through a field of cabbages although he came back to the pits and said that he aborted the run because of 'long pedal', but a very strong smell of scorched food revealed a large cabbage wedged up against the left side headers!

The white lie was obvious, and as predicted, he never spoke to me again. No one likes being beaten in his own car and caught in a big fib, and I forgot this cardinal rule.

The cabbages are long gone now and there is a housing estate instead..:evil:

I got a nice silver cup from the event, but it was stolen from my Brighton flat when I was visiting the USA :(

Chris, fantastic result but an expensive one.

If there is anything you think we can help with to get it back on the track just let us know.

You will have to use the spare nose I sent you many moons ago...

Trouble is you will need to paint the car now ..unless you want to look like Rudolph with a bright red nose...

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Just as well the bale was there. It must have absorbed a fair bit of shock which I would imagine would otherwise have been administered much more severely to the car via the lamp post.....?

Anyway, that's racing. If you're not trying, you might as well not be out there. Good on you for getting stuck into it.

Fortunately only moderate damage by the looks. Don't let this little incident put you off. Repair it and drive it like you stole it!

Cheers

I think Flatchat got off light, I have pic's here of a Ford Falcon XYGT Shaker or GTHO that hit a pole from the same meeting [ not my pix so I wont post ]... the guy driving that is lucky to be still alive, if he had a full harness or cage Im sure he would be dead....was a nice car once, guess the value is such that it will be again someday..

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
You're right there Jac plenty of carnage in that event, the GT incident was in the first run -- the pole buried the B pillar to almost the centre of the car just behind the driver popping the left side doors.
---A similar scenario as I was going for the worlds fastest lap record and invincible ......

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
New and damaged RH steering arm

Attachments

• RCR T70 steering arm 001 (Small).jpg
    RCR T70 steering arm 001 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 428
  • RCR T70 steering arm 002 (Small).jpg
    RCR T70 steering arm 002 (Small).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 437
  • RCR T70 steering arm 003 (Small).jpg
    RCR T70 steering arm 003 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 399
  • RCR T70 steering arm 004 (Small).jpg
    RCR T70 steering arm 004 (Small).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 412

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Wow, 12 months has just slipped by already--- have just been able to save up enough cash for a race this year "cough" -- pump up the tyres, blow off some dust, fit the new / other nose cone and "Suzan Boyle" ( the ugly thing that sings well) is ready for action -- and, if all goes well -- time for a nice paint job

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Just put Suzan to bed and kissed her good night for an outstanding performance over the weekend.

The Willwood rotors now cryo treated and diy floating seem to be up to the task.

A good thing about a Holley "blue" fuel pump is that it has sucked up just about all the crap (metal swarf / shavings etc ) that was in the tank and now makes weird noises and has trouble keeping up with flow and pressure ? POS

All in all is a great little car to punt--- turns , points and stops really well
Its a pitty that theres not more of them in this event as the spectators would much rather see these things do battle than the porsches, lotii or mxv:blank:

Not many in this event, but was a good shake down for a rusty old pilot :-
MYLAPS Results

Keith

A good thing about a Holley "blue" fuel pump is that it has sucked up just about all the crap (metal swarf / shavings etc ) that was in the tank and now makes weird noises and has trouble keeping up with flow and pressure ? POS

Try and source an SU pump from an old Jag Chris, and keep a 2lb hammer handy! They would suck up all your spare change and not even notice (except for an encouraging 'tap' now and then) :laugh:

Trouble free shakedown - that's got to be good....:thumbsup:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Probably need one of those new fangled cordless hammers for that job Keith.

Anyway, took Suzan out for a bit more track shake downing to try out the new Magna Flow fuel pump and regulator -- really happy with that result and it was a hot day (~36°C)

I'm over the moon about the way this thing sticks to the road -- especially the front end --100% confidant , easy to steer........

Some high end shockers and aero package would give some Porsche GT3 drivers a pair T70 tail lights to look at

Glad to hear you "got her goin!" Do you have a pic of the DIY floating rotor/hat combo for the rest of us RCR improvers?? Thanks, Scott

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
While the body was off for paint -- decided to clean up the exhaust pipes a bit

Attachments

• Chebby T70 smokin' pipes 001 (Medium).jpg
    Chebby T70 smokin' pipes 001 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 337
  • Chebby T70 smokin' pipes 003 (Small).jpg
    Chebby T70 smokin' pipes 003 (Small).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 335

Keith

Like the colour scheme - very Sunoco.