BMW V12 E32 Engine Dimensions

Does anyone have the H, W and L dimensions for a BMW V12 Engine (750iL). I did read a thread with these dimensions but cannot find that thread anymore.
I am trying to figure out packaging space for a replica lamborghini, sorry its not a gt40. I already have a Renault 25 (UN1) gearbox mounted on a rolling chassis. The body sheel is a Countach by VENOM.

When I designed and built the the chassis, I had planned to put a JAG V12 engine, but now I would like to consider a BMWV12.

Thanks

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
You might want to send a PM to one of our forum members who goes by the name of cribbj (look him up in the Members List at the top of the forum page and there will be a link to PM him under his personal information). I think he is plotting to use a BMW V-12/Porsche G50 combo in his future GT40 build--I am not sure if it is the particular V-12 you mentioned, though.

Good luck !

Doug

Interestingly enough, I've been contemplating using the BMW M70 in a P4 (I haven't got as far as deciding whether to go with the RCR or the Foreman) and have been keeping an eye on the GT40 world. (purely for comparison of course, now give me your credit card number - for age verification only:rolleyes: )

Mahesh, I am very interested in the result of your enquiry, please share with us all!

total length [end of crank pulley to rear block face] 29.25"
top of motor, widest point at valvecovers 19.5"
bottom of oil pan sump to crank centerline 8.5"
bottom of oil pan sump to highest point on valve covers 25.5"
bottom of oil pan to bottom of sump 3.5"
rear block face to crank end 1.0"
rear of block to oil pan sump 14.5"

i have alot of info on these setups and also a trick ignition setup if you are planning on using carbs or a stand alone fuel injection.

hope this helps out dale

Check out this site. Lambolounge.com they have everything you need to know about fitting the BMW engine, and fitting it to your Sambo
The site is having a problem at the moment, so keep checking back there.

Dale and all who replied,

Your guys are great, I have what I need for working out the packaging. This is my first forum of any sort, and reading on your topics and replies, it seems like a great forum for a car builder like me. I am hoping to contribute to some topics althought I know little about the building the GT40, all I know is that its great looking and symbolic car I would like to build one day!

The P4 also looks like a great car to build! For now, I am focused on finishing my lambo.

Thanks.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Some detail shots of your installation would be great as you progress. I get a lot of ideas from pictures of other cars. It doesn't really matter what kind of car if the ideas are good ones. Other rear/mid engine types would be interesting.

Good luck.

Howard,

I agree, I also get a lot of ideas form pictures of other peoples builds. I have step by step pictures of the build so far, I designed and built the frame myself, all I bought was a shell. Here are some of the pictures.
Front suspension is from a Renault 30TX, at the time it was too hard for me to design the front susp. The rear susp is my design, unequal wishbones, independent with one SPAX coil/damper. I bought the cast uprights to accept Renault 25 bearings/spindles/driveshafts. Using a Renault 25 UN1 Gearbox. I recently moved my workshop from the UK to California, as a result, I did not bring the temporary Renault V6 2.6 litre engine from the donor car cos I want to use a BMW V12. So if someone needs a V6 engine in the UK (Wembley area), please contact me. BTY, cost of moving a 20 foot container was about $5,000USD incase someone is considering relocating.
I have not worked on my car since 1994 and am just getting back into it now that it is here in sunny California.

Attachments

• lambo 016_c.jpg
    lambo 016_c.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • lambo 025_c.jpg
    lambo 025_c.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • scan6_c.jpg
    scan6_c.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • lambo 030_c.jpg
    lambo 030_c.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • lambo 021_c.jpg
    lambo 021_c.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,238
  • lambo_iso_c.jpg
    lambo_iso_c.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,363
Re: BMW V12 E32 Engine

I am planning on useing a 5l v12 bmw in a 38 chevy truck project.
Can anyone help with any Ideas on engine management, Shure i would like to run Fuel injection but carb would also do for this project.(the engine did not come with computers) Also the trans, is their a way to run the 5 speed auto stand alone ?

Thanks, any help would be great...

Attachments

• end concept.jpg
    end concept.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 909
dalesince59 said:
i have alot of info on these setups and also a trick ignition setup if you are planning on using carbs or a stand alone fuel injection.

hope this helps out dale

Dale,

what kind of info do you have on the ignition setup?? As it stands right now I am planning to use the autronic system for mine

Adrian

adrian,
the system i came up with uses the stock bosch rotors and dist. caps and rest is all msd components. two ign. coils two 6al ign. control boxes two timing computers and a crank trigger set up with two pickups[ the stock bmw pickups will work with a modified trigger wheel.] msd offers two different ign. timing control computers, one has a fixed timing curve the other is adjustable, either can be utilized.
the beauty of all this is that it is all aftermarket, readily available, and fairly inexpensive. it can be used with any induction system, upgraded with options to fit specific engine requirements and works basically the same way the stock bmw setup works [two seperate ign. systems for the two cyl banks.]

dale

this is a stock compression motor,premium pump gas. inductiion system is tube intake manifolds with six blow thru, turbo modified deloroto dhla 40 mm side draft carbs, 1/2'' aluminum fuel lines, elect. fuel injection pump with a by pass return system using a mallory boost referenced fuel regulator. i am in process with this project [ along with a dozen others] . i have no immediate plans to turbo charge the motor but this is a perfect candidate to do it on and i already have the fuel and ignition system in place should the need for some boost arise.

dale

Dale, cant you send the msd in to have a 12 cyl mod from the factory?
or run it in 6 cyl mode and multi fire 2 cylinders....? having one on exhaust stroke ?

Zzxyzx said:
Dale, cant you send the msd in to have a 12 cyl mod from the factory?
or run it in 6 cyl mode and multi fire 2 cylinders....? having one on exhaust stroke ?

I do not know about the 12 cly. conversion for the msd box ,but i did think about using the dead cly. firing method as like a motorcycle engine uses but i am unsure of the effects of firing two plugs at the same time would have on the car type coils. I did not want to run the risk or diluting the coils power to the plugs or over working it. i would like to hear some theories on that. In the four cyl. bike motors, they still use two pick ups two seperate twin plug coils and two seperate or split circiut ignition boxes, or if it is an older points type ign., two sets of points. If you could go this route, you would still have to us a funky split off coil wire to both dist. caps for cyl selection., and i really do think i would run into trouble if two seperate coils were fired at once from the msd. [i was afraid to even call the msd tech line with that one!]

dale

Re: BMW V12 E32 Engine

Zzxyzx said:
I am planning on useing a 5l v12 bmw in a 38 chevy truck project.
Can anyone help with any Ideas on engine management, Shure i would like to run Fuel injection but carb would also do for this project.(the engine did not come with computers) Also the trans, is their a way to run the 5 speed auto stand alone ?

Thanks, any help would be great...

As far as your trans. question i do not know. i have one of those zf's here if i had to guess i would say it is probable.a schematic of it would tell you. bmw sure is stingy with their repair and service information!

dale

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Another ignition approach might be to dump the distributors entirely and install a pair of MegaSquirts or Megajolt Lt Jr's, then drive either 6 or 12 coils in waste spark mode and trigger it all from the OEM 60-2 crank wheel and the two pickups.

This would also have the benefit of cleaning up the front of the motor in a critical area because the dizzies are mounted high and protrude forward a few inches - not a good thing for a midengine application.

Dale, do you have any pics of your carb setup?

Dale, do you have any pics of your carb setup?[/QUOTE]

no pics. as of yet. i have been very lax about my photo documenting of some of my projects. I know this is a sin and i too suck up the visual ideas like a sponge.When i get more organized in this area i'll be posting for days and hopefully set up a web page of my own. I have been somewhat reluctant to post on some of the sites i belong to for this very reason, and encourage no one to follow in my footsteps. KEEP THE PICS COMING! I NEED MY BRAIN FIX!.

dale

Back