Brett's RS GTD

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
The CVs are Ford and not designed for a floating shaft. It will just rip the splines out.

Thanks

Andy

F1 driveshafts only have one circlip. We have a spring and bullet shaped piece inside each end of the driveshaft to makesure the cv's run centrally.

On the Prost our spring assembly used to be broken at the end of the race and there was never any issues with the CV's or the shafts, suggesting that perhaps they'll run where they want to run.

There does look to be a lot of spline on the shaft, but, i would guess they keep that as a standard for manufacturing cost effectiveness across all the applications that they supply. If your max. torque is close to the limit of the shaft then that excess might be an issue. If you opt to run with them then i'd keep an eye on the splines after you first run the car in anger. If the shaft is getting some grief the twist in the shaft will be visible on the un-used spline section. F1 shafts can twist through a whole rotation when first used, and most teams pre-strain them before using them.

D.

First of all thanks to Brian for putting up with me on the phone the other weekend. I think I know what I need to do on the CVs now, but I don't have the time, as the car goes away to get the body put on it in a few weeks. So its trying to get to a point where that can happen!!! Here's today's attempt to get closer to body fit!

Attachments

• DSC02158.jpg
    DSC02158.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC02159.jpg
    DSC02159.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 549
Steve,
They are 17" BRM bolt-ons with dummy spinner covers from Image wheels here in the UK: BRM6 Classic Build

I have had the centres powdercoated in Gold and then the rims ceramic clear coated, but not polished, I didn't want a too bling look.

I am running 235/40 17 on the front and 285/40 17 on the rear. This also gives me tyre heights pretty close the the originals, albeit on 17 rims. I am using Kuhmo KU31 rubber: Tyre Selector

Alittle more done today. Finally about 2 years after I made it the drivers sill panel is on... Still double skinning it, I decided to fill the void with Exact Gap foam, which is only meant to expand 5-10%. Well lets say its the most generous 10% I have seen and required some clear up...

I also started to look at making an infill as I have made the engne cover smaller, which also has a 13mm lead sandwich stuck on the back. The only problem is that I seem to have now run into an interference issue. I remember the old GTDs had custom water necks. Does anyone have any ideas, or pics I could look at to see how they have done it. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02165.jpg
    DSC02165.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC02166.jpg
    DSC02166.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 478
Hi Brett

This is the item MDA originaly provided and it has worked well with a bleed off back to the header tank. I have had no issues with airlocks etc.

Steve

Attachments

• 100_0455.jpg
    100_0455.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 493
Hi Steve,
The car went to Mick on Thursday ths week and that is one of the items that wil be fixed when it is there; the car will have one of Mick's water necks, amongst other things :)

Brett

I got an update from Mick last night, and to say I am excited is an understatement!!

Have to say I am missing the car being at home in the garage, but seeing the pictures from Mick and Adam I am well chuffed :thumbsup:

Attachments

• martins and bretts 006.jpg
    martins and bretts 006.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 614
Well finally the car is home... and the body is fitted :thumbsup:

Mick has done some other work, but this is a major milestone, if you check to see when I first posted this build log...

Some fo the eagle eye of you will notive that the spider is now grey and not red as when it left. FOr some reason Mick could not get the orginial one I got from Chris Melia to fit on the Roy Smart GTD chassis. However, the SGT spider fitted straight on without any problems. Also, the sills seem to be longer on the chassi, so they had to get modded as well. All in all though clips open up and doors shut and open so nothing an keep the grin off my face...

... OK one thing could, the fact my wife said I am not allowed in the garge to work on the car until I finish installing the new bathroom :thumbsdown:

Attachments

• IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 716
Crikey bloomin' Moses, I've just spotted when you started this thread...

you are a man of great patience. Good On ya pal - it's close now!

Brett, great work. Hope the usual interruption of a new kitchen or bathroom doesn't slow you down too much! We want to see that car being driven hard and fast.

Brett

Looking good buddy, like the gold & red [kinda reminds me of some famous British racing team .....but i can't put my finger on it!] ...hope to see you at Detling this year.

How far away do you recon you are from IVA test Brett?

Cheers

karl

Back