Brett's RS GTD

Congratulations Brett, once your wheels turn up, they'll be now stopping you then

Regards
Andy

Hey Andy, Looked what turned up today.... SHINY :2thumbsup:

Took just over 9 weeks though... Tyres arrived a few weeks ago; decided to use Kumho Esta KU31, which Chris Hale has on his Tornado. Progress will be blunted for a few weeks, as the little man turns 1 next Thursday!

Attachments

• DSC02089.jpg
    DSC02089.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 581
Thanks Simon,
Will drop the engine crane back soon, but am in Sweden all next week. If you can wait, I'll do it after June 2, as the car is going to Mick's for the exhaust.... slowly but surely getting there.

Brett

Well, another long time between posts. However, a good reason this time. I packed the car up on a trailer and went of to see Mick at SouthernGT. I picked it up yesterday.

All I can say is WOW. What an amazing job Mick and Adam have done on the exhaust. I am pleased as punch. Will start rubbing it down to paint it this weekend, as I am still building to a budget, a few cans of VHT are a lot cheaper that Camcoat; maybe that can come at a later point down the road. The goal at the moment is to use the money wisely to get me to IVA asap.

Mick and Adam also have done me some other sterling work, fixing my fuel tanks slightly for its moutning points, and also modifying the filler cap necks, so they come down at an angle and also have a vent tube in them.

I've also got a pair of his seat sheels (excellent quality) and also replaced my wiring loom with one of his.

I have to say that it is great to see Mick's enthusiasm and perfectionism rub off on his customers as well. Nick's car was there having come back from the painters. OMG it must be the best car I have seen in Essex Wire, and the finish! You wold swear it is sheet coloured galss!

As for Glen's car it looked stunning as always... oh how I would love to have the money to have a carbon rear clip!!

Anyway, now I have lots to do and catch up with!

Attachments

• DSC02107.jpg
    DSC02107.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 616
  • DSC02108.jpg
    DSC02108.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC02109.jpg
    DSC02109.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 654
Progress has been slow due to training for the 100 mile charity that is a week on Sunday.

Also, I've had to move the tank mounting points... again. The angle had to be strengthened, and also where the original bolts were on the GTD, they interfered with the breather pipe tube. So they have been moved forward 2", which also meant a few other things needed tidying up! However, as a plus point it seems to have resolved my space issue behind the tanks for the Carter pumps to be fitted.

Whilst the car was at Mick's getting the exhaust done, I also had the header tank modified to get a -10 fitting put in so it could then go to 5/8 barb. However, this also meant I had to lower the bracket to miss the rear stay.

Also, got started on finishing all the air bleeds. I would have put the rad bleed in, but its my fault for not checking. Docking told me the bleed hole was 3/8 UNF, so I ordered a 3/8 to -3 fitting from Think. Looks as though I will have to turn up and adaptor, as it a lot bigger, just need to identify the thread.

Attachments

• DSC02110.jpg
    DSC02110.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC02111.jpg
    DSC02111.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 456
A long time between posts. Family and work are meaning I am not getting as much time as I would like to in the garage.

Been tinkering around when I get the time. Have now had all the air-con crimped and readytogo in. Cooling pipes finally attached, just have to install the Davies Craig Unit now. well the brackets have been made, I just haven't got round to putting them on.

Strating to thin aboutiVA now, so started to ut panel in place to block on the fuel fillers etc.

and started to paint the exhaust. I know people say get Cam Coat... but trying to get the car finished and to IVA is now a priority, so any money that can be spent later will be. Paint vs Cam coat is less than 10% of the cost.

Attachments

• DSC02120.jpg
    DSC02120.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC02121.jpg
    DSC02121.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC02119.jpg
    DSC02119.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 405
Some more work done today after recovering from the red-eye yesterday. Finally the fuel pumps are mounted! Where I wanted them too, low and in the sills out of sight. I am running Carter pumps, so they don't look original, so its probably best that they arer there.

Also, got the final piece together for mounting the Davis-Craig electric pump. I've mounted it below the pump inlet rather than at the front of the car like a lot of people do.

Attachments

• DSC02123.jpg
    DSC02123.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC02124.jpg
    DSC02124.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC02125.jpg
    DSC02125.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC02129.jpg
    DSC02129.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 407
Well, having a sinus operation and the snow stopped sme progress, but now I have to really get going, as I have boked the car in somewhere at the end of Jan to get the body fitted for me. Its becoming a cost vs. time equation rapidly now, as I have been at this a very long time, and have decided that I must get it on the road this year!

Anyway, driveshafts turned up and have them fitted, also cut the bulkhead window out. Does anyone have any tips for fitting?

A bit more panelling round the doors was completed this weekend as well, and then well disaster.

Its my fault really, I should have checked earlier. The sill panels appear to be touching the fuel tanks, so they won't fit on. so they are going to have to be moved inwards. This is the 4th time they have moved!!!

Attachments

• DSC02130.jpg
    DSC02130.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC02131.jpg
    DSC02131.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC02137.jpg
    DSC02137.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC02139.jpg
    DSC02139.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 457

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Brett

Is it me or are the splines on the driveshafts far too long and also there appears to be no inner circlip grooves to retain the CV joints?

Thanks

Andy

Andy,
Please define too long for me. I don't know either way.

The problem I have is that mine is not a kit, I have put things together as I have got them. Sure its originally a Roy Smart GTD chassis, but then the back got cut-off and replaced. I've also used (as far as I know) the first Audi 01X in the UK (well when I started that bit anyway). This has left mw with needing CV adaptors and then a non-standard shaft length.

I could have got some made up, but I (sadly) am not one of the forum members who can afford such things as a ZFQ. My box cost me a whopping £200 when I got it.

The shafts do have circlip retainers on the ends. If you want to know, I got them from Berrisfords (http://www.berrisford.co.uk/images/articles/Driveshaft%20splines.pdf), so I am using their shafts to make ends meet to make sure I can get the car on the road. If you think there is anything wrong with this, please let me know so I can rectify it sooner rather than later :) Thanks

Brett

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Brett

The splined section on the shaft should just be longer than the splined section on the CV joint.

There should be another circlip and conical washer on the inside face of the CV joint to hold the joint in position.

The joint should not be able to slide along the shaft as the shaft will hit the inside of the stub axle or gearbox CV adapter.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Andy

Brian Magee

Supporter
Brett,

The CV joints don't slide on the shaft, the splines are for drive only. As Andy says they should be locked in position with a dished washer and then a second circlip. The length of the shaft is adjusted by the movement in the CV joints themselves.

Brian

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Brett

You could get the second grove machined into the shaft allowing for the thickness of the CV joint plus conical washer.

Thanks

Andy

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Determining where the grooves must be cut is the hard part. Knowing the width of the CV's inner and outer race widths, and the distance the outer races are from each other fully assembled (throughout the full range of suspension movement) is a start. Some set-ups have quite a bit of vertical angle between the upright and the gearbox which requires more use of the CV built-in plunge than a perfectly horizontal shaft would. Next you can measure plunge built into the CVs (I think the 930 type has about 10mm X 2) and ensure that the two (plunge and upright lateral relationship to the gearbox throughout suspension movement) are compatible. The dune guys do allow the axle to slide inside the CVs, and if your upright lateral change is greater than the plunge, then you've got no choice but to do the same. As it is right now, you may very well have what you need with clips on the outside only, but you'll never know if it is rubbing the inside cups until you sit down and start measuring everything.
One good night (or day) dedicated to getting good measurements will tell you where the grooves need to be.

Last edited:
Back