Carbon fiber gt40?

Greetings, i am looking at a gt40. Purportedly made by Andrew Broadley of lola fame, gt40 north america? Seller says body is all carbon fiber. They only built 12? Did they make such a thing? Gorgeous car, although a few details stand out to me. Just looking for some feedback on gt 40 north america's builds.

Greetings, i am looking at a gt40. Purportedly made by Andrew Broadley of lola fame, gt40 north america? Seller says body is all carbon fiber. They only built 12? Did they make such a thing? Gorgeous car, although a few details stand out to me. Just looking for some feedback on gt 40 north america's builds.
Yes they did make such a thing.. but I dont have much other feedback on GT40 north america's.

Yes they did make such a thing.. but I dont have much other feedback on GT40 north america's.
Thats the car. Going to Mag auctions on the 25th. Looking closer at the clamshells, they look like fiberglass instead of carbon fiber.

There are other photos online, the panels are definitely CF. The chassis is space frame with CF panels rivetted and glued on AFAIK.

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Carbon fiber racing car bodies make little sense to me. They have poor impact resistance unless beefed up withKevlar. I know of no sanctioned road racing class where there is no minimum weight limit.

Howard Jones

Supporter
A sub-2000 pound GT40 that would be used as a street with some track fun days is IMHO a pipe dream. My GTD is pretty much a standard car and it weighs close to 2600 pounds full of fuel. To take 600 pounds out, it would in reality require a complete replacement of just about the entire car's chosen materials. Even then 2000 pound might be a "bridge too far"

The wheels/ tires alone would need to be close to 1/2 the weight of normal aluminum wheels/ street tires used on these cars. Think 10 times, or more, for the cost of Carbon disks over the steel ones we all are using. A glass windshield would be out of the question and you would be saving what, 25-30 pounds with a thin Lexan one. The only steel in the car would be the cylinder liners, crank, cam, grbx gears and shafts as well as a few more such as bearings and stub axels. Everything else would need to be light alloys and I'm not just talking simply a lot of aluminum. God only knows what a one-off racecar quality carbon body would cost? 10s of thousands would be my guess.

I could go on and on but just think a 25% or more reduction in weight for every single piece on the car! Where would you source these parts? It could be done with no budget and max dollars but you would need to spend at least 10 times the money of a "standard" GT40 kit. What we are talking about here is approaching a million dollars.......................

Anyway, I digress.................go for it.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Can Tornado still make the carbon tub ? One would have to make all most everything on the car from carbon to get under # 2000. I think quite a stretch !!!!

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Bill
Yes we still make Carbon Tubs for the GT40.
Our spaceframe cars weigh 990 kg, Aluminium Monocoque cars weigh 891 kg and the Carbon Monocoque cars weigh 840 kg
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• P1040826.JPG
    P1040826.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 569
  • P1020890.JPG
    P1020890.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 540
  • P1030494.JPG
    P1030494.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 535