catalytic converter and muffler in the SLC

Ok guys, question. I searched the threads a bit, but didn't see much on cats with mufflers. According to the Ct DMV I will need a cat along with mufflers to pass the inspection. How many here have been able to get them to fit with LS engines.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I haven't got that far yet on my build, but I'm putting cats on mine.

I don't know who's car this it, but here's a video of a guy installing an exhaust system with cats on a SL-C:

http://youtu.be/Y64ZxPoZBCQ

Last edited:
See here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KZ4dFQcAM]1st Engine Start: SL-C LS3 eRod - YouTube[/ame]

I have LS7 exhaust manifolds to Corvette cats, to DBX mufflers. At the start of the video you can see where I mounted the cats. Since then, I have fabricated heat shields to protect the read deck fiberglass. The exhaust fabrication was done by a local guy who is an artist with a welder. Let me know if you want more info/pictures.

Here's a set up with cats and mufflers. The mufflers could be larger, there's room there in the street tail.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I have LS7 exhaust manifolds to Corvette cats, to DBX mufflers. At the start of the video you can see where I mounted the cats. Since then, I have fabricated heat shields to protect the read deck fiberglass. The exhaust fabrication was done by a local guy who is an artist with a welder. Let me know if you want more info/pictures.

Yes, please post more pictures of your exhaust setup. Thanks!

See this is why I want to go with an older block when I build mine (none of the classic car guys need them because of this very back door that was never closed). New blocks new rules. Allans look great and if I HAD to install them thats what I would do.

See here: 1st Engine Start: SL-C LS3 eRod - YouTube

Still my favorite exhaust setup :thumbsup:

No. The side exhaust is pretty short to fit cat's & mufflers. Plus you'll need earplugs to drive it more than an hour.

If your only concerned about the visual than get some 100-200cpsi cats (race cats) and be done with it. Stock cats are fine for a stock motor but once you play around they will QUICKLY become the choke point of your exhaust.

Michael Fling

Supporter
The Chevy guy recommends a catalytic converter with the LS engine…

mf100913_9.jpg

Why does the Chevy guy recommend cats with LS engines? As far as the motor is concerned all it sees is back pressure created (hence my comment about once you open the motor the cats BECOME your biggest CHOKE POINT) by the cat. There is no benefit at all that can not be duplicated by a properly designed exhaust system (Lots of threads on here about how to do just that). Cats (and mufflers to an extent) are nothing more than tree huggers influence on motor sport. Ask the Chevy guy about almost EVERY RACE MOTOR BUILT because I have YET to see a race car with cats due to INCREASED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. matter of fact one of the first mods kids do to cars since they were invented were to OPEN up the exhaust. I'm seriously asking what makes the Chevy guy say that?

Along those line IF the Chevy guy was correct than there would be no need for RACE CATS which in essence are GUTTED CATS? Seriously I want to know his thoughts because there may be something to it that I'm not aware of.

Got it; so it's a sniffer test. If that's the case than my comment about an older block holds true. Besides that how much of a measurable difference is th sniffer looking for? I ask because that would determine if race cats or the like could be used to pass the test and NOT create such a huge choke point.
The V ban idea is another solution and honestly not one that I had even considered but is a solution none the less. Honestly I giggle when I hear people trying to quiet down their SL-C's. Reality is that whole argument is a joke. With that little run for the exhaust there is no current day muffler that is going to cut down the DBS that much so in essence they are all the same +/- a few dbs. Some of the systems I have seen are more of a guy with to much $ and time ...... well idle hands and all. The few feet that moving the exhaust to the rear vs. side exit doesn't change much of anything except for the perceived notion that it is lowering the dbs. I'm sure there are some acoustic benefits interior cabin wise but lets be honest it's not measurable all things considered. I played around with this idea (side vs. rear) with my M and with a db reader the difference was more mental than anything else (alot has to do with the QUALITY of the muffler). Now if you want to pop the rear clam and have something arts and a bit of WOW factor than hey go nuts BUT don't make it seem as if it is doing anything but adding automotive jewelry to an already smack you in the face type of car. Don't complicate things and just copy Alan's system and be done with it. Remember you want a LITTLE BENDS AS POSSIBLE and all under 45 degrees(free flow Vs. flow through) or else you are adding back pressure. For a turbo fine but an NA car not what you want. These cars a loud as heck regardless of what motor you put in them and if a quiet ride is what you are looking for boy did you buy the wrong car so lets not get all crazy and try to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
I've heard Chevy spent millions designing the LS to run with cats. If you take them off, you can eek more HP on the high rpm's but it will be at the expense of hp on the low end. the engine is expecting a certain amount of back pressure, when you remove it, it delays the HP building. I wonder what the blog thinks?
Its also nice to warm up the car in the winter and work on it in the garage w/.o choking

Back