CAV or SPF GT40?

Ellis Hubbard

Lifetime Supporter
Aaron,

Take a look at the black CAV on performanceclassicsinc.com, you may also want to consider a Safir MK V GT40. The white car is chassis GT40P1097, these cars have J W Automotive serial numbers which are continued from the original cars. The orange car could be built any way you would like (motor/color) but it would take six months to complete.

Ellis Hubbard

Look at the panel gaps and welds on all the cars that are mentioned, I'll bet ERA comes out on top :thumbsup: But I do concede that the SPF GT40 is more original if that's what your after.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Somthing to keep in mind, when you are out driving and someone asks the question...they always do, "what is it"? With an SPF you can truthfully say its a GT40...

Last edited:
Unless strict originality is your goal, have you considered a Ford GT? Seeing as you're not building or finishing one of the replicas but instead buying a completed car. Civilized enough for the wife, yet close to the original in form. The performance factor is there as well.

Having owned and driven a fair number of ferrari, porsche, lotus....and a CAV GT40 I can share a few insights...

The SPF and CAV are both wonderful cars, but both are nowhere near anything like a production car.....ferrari, porsche, chevy or prius. Both are highly custom cars built in low volume production with lots of teething issues when new from the factory, and nowhere near the comfort level of other exotic supercars. Weather protecion? Nil. Storage? Nil. Comfort? Nil. Sound abatement? Nil. I wouldn't consider a GT40 from either SPF or CAV (or any other manufacturer) as a comp for a ferrari or porsche or lambo, for example. Gallardo? Forget it, no comparison.

You should go drive a SPF and a CAV and form your own opinion, and see if you (and your passenger) can stomach the lack of civility. You'll probably be surprised how raw these cars are. Personally, I loved my CAV and really enjoyed the raw experience, and (relatively) simple mechanicals...and didn't mind the lack of creature comforts at all...for short-ish trips. I certainly would not want to do a cross country trip in my old CAV, but a run to HomeDepot to get plumbing supplies? Heck yeah, it's an event in your GT40. A very fun event.

As far as comparison, they're both great. The SPF is very true to the original design, so it's much more accurate than the CAV is if historical accuracy is your thing. Personally, I liked the stainless steel chassis of the CAV (I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and I drive my cars in the rain), and the interior seemed a little more liveable. But again, go form your own first hand impression.

Good luck with your choices!

Problem with the ERA like the other cheaper replicas is the fibreglass spider. SPF has a steel spider like the real thing.....seems Im hung up on it...lol.

I'll take better panel fit, precision welding, stainless steel chassis, direct linkage shifter over SPF's cable shift(left hand drive)and made in the USA, over a steel spyder, any day, LOL...I guess even the fiberglass authentic CSX replicas SPF makes are inferior compared to an aluminum Kirkham, so I see your point. Here's a good link discussing SPF's welds on its chassis.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/45241-superformance-gt40-how-its-made.html

Last edited:
Having owned and driven a fair number of ferrari, porsche, lotus....and a CAV GT40 I can share a few insights...

The SPF and CAV are both wonderful cars, but both are nowhere near anything like a production car.....ferrari, porsche, chevy or prius. Both are highly custom cars built in low volume production with lots of teething issues when new from the factory, and nowhere near the comfort level of other exotic supercars. Weather protecion? Nil. Storage? Nil. Comfort? Nil. Sound abatement? Nil. I wouldn't consider a GT40 from either SPF or CAV (or any other manufacturer) as a comp for a ferrari or porsche or lambo, for example. Gallardo? Forget it, no comparison.

You should go drive a SPF and a CAV and form your own opinion, and see if you (and your passenger) can stomach the lack of civility. You'll probably be surprised how raw these cars are. Personally, I loved my CAV and really enjoyed the raw experience, and (relatively) simple mechanicals...and didn't mind the lack of creature comforts at all...for short-ish trips. I certainly would not want to do a cross country trip in my old CAV, but a run to HomeDepot to get plumbing supplies? Heck yeah, it's an event in your GT40. A very fun event.

As far as comparison, they're both great. The SPF is very true to the original design, so it's much more accurate than the CAV is if historical accuracy is your thing. Personally, I liked the stainless steel chassis of the CAV (I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and I drive my cars in the rain), and the interior seemed a little more liveable. But again, go form your own first hand impression.

Good luck with your choices!

I completely agree about it not being the level of a modern exotic. 1) its a replica of car built 50 years ago! And that car was actually a race - not street car to boot! If I get a GT40 it will NOT replace my 911 Turbo as the primary toy. They are apples and oranges. The 911 may get replaced for an Aston or something fun but less hardcore (my Turbo is low on coil-overs, crazy exhaust etc).

Aron

I have an SPF GT 40 MK II / 302 / 8 stack EFI. The car is an absolute blast to drive!! I have other mid-engine V8 cars. They may be faster but they are not as much fun! That said, you have to want the retro feel of a 50 year old race car! It is hot, need the AC. No power anything! It's a workout driving it, but I wouldn't change a thing! You really get an idea what it was like driving this thing 50 years ago! (turn off the AC and you will really know!!)

Try to find one to road test!

Good Luck,

Tom

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave................really? "other cheaper replicas" come on..........everybody who isn't either deluded or clueless knows that every replica GT40 constructed since the last REAL one is in fact a kit car, replica, homebuilt, COPY of the real thing that stopped being built nearly 50 years ago.

All of the currently in production kits can be built to outstanding specification and just as fast as I can fart be screwed up so bad as to be ruined. These things, ALL of them, are completely at the mercy of who does the work.

As far as SPF's being a continuation of the original.... BULL SHIT!!!!! ask one of the REAL original owners what they think of that! There's a reason a SPF can be had for 150K easy and it would take 10 times that to even get near a original.

Now having completely loss my lunch I'll address the question. Both the SPF and the CAV "done right" are equal in my mind if the question is what would the owning/ driving experience be like.

So do your homework. Buy some airplane tickets, go to the manufactures representatives locations, some owners homes and get a couple of rides for gods sake. If you can swing it go to a track day and hitch a ride.

Throw her at a corner at a 100 or so, catch it, and then mash the power peddle on exit just once and feel that baby just PULL! Better than sex! Within a lap two you will understand why it is that these cars will NEVER be a modern Porsche...........Never!

Kinda like the difference between a 25 year old perfectly made up blond waiting for you to open the door for her and 45 year old truck stop diner waitress licking her lips. She may be old but you're gonna get a hell of a hot sweaty ride that will curl your toes.

Get it?

Oh, no offence to the SPF people or hot young blonds..............can't afford either..........

Daisy Duke's Cafe and Truck Stop | 24 Hour East TN Truck Stop and Cafe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPBFVYtP-c

Last edited:
You guys are a crazy bunch!:laugh:

So last week I did just that. Got on a plane to SF and took a long look and drive of an SPF. Just before I went I spent the afternoon with Sammy and his beautiful CAV here in Dallas.

I LOVED how the SPF drove (didn't drive the CAV - nor did I ask ;-). The rack felt directly connected like a go-cart. So much so when we were on the highway in the first 5 miles I asked if the tires needed balancing as the wheel would slightly shake. He said, that's just how direct the steering is... its a race care remember. Then I hit the first on-ramp and HOLY COW - it turned in and hugged road like nothing I've driven. Note I'm not saying it turned higher g's - though it may have - but that the connected feel was so direct I felt like I was driving a Formula 3 car or something! Having owned 2 non-power steering NSX a Lotus Elise and tons of other "drivers cars" this is most definitely a proper drivers car.

CAV vs SPF - my perspective at least:

Exterior - Both looked really good. Didn't notice a difference in fit and finish. Though I did like being able to tap/knock on the SPF and hear the sound of metal.

Underpinnings - CAV's stainless steel chassis looked better than the black steel on the SPF. The rest seemed equal

Interior - I didn't like how high the dash was in the CAV. Felt like I was a pilot of a commercial liner. The SPF dash was much lower and thus had better view out - which makes the car feel smaller and more wieldy I suspect. The SPF interior obviously feels more period correct with rubber/vinyl dash. CAV interior was REALLY nice and upscale Alcantara everywhere, cross stitching on dash etc.

I plan to go with SPF primarily for:
1) Better visibility/lower dash
2) Ability to verbally state and call it GT40, plus supposed resale
3) The option to do something different and get a MKII

But both CAV and ERA seem awesome. And hear ERA's are even nicer than the already nice CAV. Nice to have choices for each of us to pick what we like yet all are great.

Last edited:
Yes cheaper Howard old Mate......SPF's get the coin for the features it has over the other cheaper replicas like RF, RCR , Cav they usually sell in the 70-90k range...so yes the cheaper replicas.....want me to say it again? The CHEAPER replicas.....

Back