Classic Le Mans 2016

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
France is a beautiful place. Would love to see all the locations above. Spent a few days in Annecy and Chamonix in the Alps. Would highly recommend it.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Mate,
If this your first visit, do your Forefathers the respect they deserve, go to Normandy.
I can furnish you with details of a private guide, he can get you in to view sites that are on private land. It's very sobering and you will go back home basically gobsmacked at what the Anzac's achieved... Plus he knows where great, cheap food is..
His knowledge of interesting local stories from the period is stunning.
And because he & his family have all lived in the area for all time, they are on first name terms.

Hey guys, remember there was two "débarquement" in France... Everybody knows the D-Day in normandy in June 44, but there was another one in Provence on 15th of august 44, "Dragoon" (called that way cause Sir Winston was against it and was forced to say "yes" by the US, "dragooned":D).

Yes it was an easier task, far less casualties, as the best of german army was heading to Normandy, but there were some serious fights... Mainly US land forces (with some canadians), and the Free French Navy and Army...

(Map from wikipedia)

Attachments

• Anvildragoon.jpg
    Anvildragoon.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 456
Michel,Pierre-Louis,Mike,Charlie
Wow thanks guys for the response; you have really given us some home work to do. We are still in the early stages of planning and now with your help we can start to get serious.
Michel My wife Linda does wish to go to Le Mont Saint Michel so some tripping around in the west may be on
Charlie we were lucky enough to go to Villers Bretonneau and surrounding areas in 2012 and you are quite right in saying it is very sobering. We went to the war cemetery and the first headstone I read was a young solder from Cardiff, a suburb of Newcastle NSW where I grew up. I really struggled with my emotions on that moment. Again thanks guys for the advice and help I will let you know our plans when we have do our homework,

Darrell Newcastle/Australia
DRB LS1/G50

Have some very good news for GT40 Enthusiast Club members regarding LMC.
Will post soon ........

Here is a copy of a notice sent to GT40 Enthusiasts Club members and it may be of interest to some of you guys. To avail yourself of the Friday evening laps , you need to be a Club member, just saying :thinking:

Dear Club Member,
Le Mans Classic Update – LMC Track Time
We are pleased to advise that the organisers of the LMC 2016 have very generously stated that the Friday evening session for track laps, as per 2014, is going to be available for The GT40 Enthusiasts Club again at this year’s LMC. The timing and length of track time availability is not precisely known at this moment but should occur between 9.00 & 10.20pm. Therefore, they should be daylight/dusk laps. GREAT NEWS I am sure you will agree!

BUT, if you feel you have to drive the full circuit and do not wish to participate in the Friday evening track session for whatever reason, you should note that there are “parade Laps” as in 2014 on both the Friday & Saturday Mornings. However, availability is limited for these “parade laps” and going fast.
We understand that the Saturday Morning laps are at approx. 08.00 and the Friday Morning session is between approx. 09.00 & 10.20. In 2014 these sessions were very busy and in a GT40 can be somewhat frustrating due to the relatively low average speeds attained with a crowded track. However, they do give a fabulous taste of the full circuit in race mode for those who may not have previously had this experience and/or do not want to participate in the faster Friday evening session. For reference it should be noted that the Friday Morning Session has the benefit of:
- less traffic outside of the circuit boundary so easier to enter the circuit
- less cars inside the track (around 3,000 whereas 85,000 on Saturday)
- Less stress for the GT40 owners on Saturday to enjoy all the races !
The Friday & Saturday Daytime Laps are available via our Travel Partner, Grandstand Motor Sports.

For the Friday Evening Track Time, you will need to register your interest, complete with Membership Number, with myself at [email protected]
Prices for Friday Evening have not yet been fixed but will be comparable with 2014 along with all the organizational requirements (helmets/briefings etc. you have come to know and love ;-)). We are advised that there should be enough availability for most if not all GT40 members wishing to participate. However, it is always good to get your name down on the list early!
Best regards
Paul Brameld, Merchandise, Advertising and Le Mans Classic 2016
Co-ordinator
e-mail: [email protected], GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page
https://www.facebook.com/GT40EnthusiastsClub

ANYBODY NEED A CAMPING PITCH FOR CLASSIC LE MANS?????

The Midlands club may have a couple of spare pitches - they are at Tete Rouge, so walking distance from all of the main attractions. The camp site has great toilets / showers too.

Let me know if you may be interested.....

Cheers

Darren

Two bedrooms have just become available at the lovely Maison du Prevot for the Le Mans Classic weekend.
This is a town house located in the beautiful village of Parce which is only 5kms from Chateau de Doboert.
There is secure parking in a private courtyard, the gardens lead down to the river Sarthe and you are only 2 minutes walk from 2 very nice bars.
If you are interested please contact me ASAP [email protected]

Brian Magee

Supporter
Unfortunately I have had to cancel my plans for Classic Le Mans this year.

My wife, Pam received facial and arm injuries at a local airfield 'fly in' on June 5th. We were getting in the '40 to go home when a Tiger Moth lost control on take off and hit the barrier behind the car. I saw it coming but Pam had her back to the plane. She was hit in the face and arm by the shrapnell from the shattered propeller. She was airlifted to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford where she received excellent treatment. Pam was in hospital for three days but is making excellent progress and has now had the stiches removed from her face. There is still work to do, mentally and physically but she is exceedingly strong. There is some damage to the car but that is repairable.

As Pam is in no state to go I have decided to cancel.

Brian.

Very sorry to hear of Pam's injury, but very relieved it was no worse.
Please pass to Pam our best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery, from Janet and myself.
What might have happened would have been horrendous.
Tony

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Terrible to hear Brian... Best wishes for Pam's speedy recovery...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Brian
You and Pam will be missed at Le Mans I always enjoy catching up and hearing about your travels. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Ian

Very sorry that you've had to change your plans.
The 'Les Metairies crew' we're really looking forward to spending the week with you and Pam.
I do hope Pam is recovering well.

Best wishes to you both from Me and Jane.

Keith

Hello Brian. Holy moly that was a near thing! Only 8 lives left now. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your good lady...:thumbsup:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Best wishes to Pam, Brian.

Sorry I will not meet up with you at Le Mans again.

Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear such news, our thoughts are with you both and we wish Pam a speedy recovery.
Barbara joins me in sending best wishes and love to Pam & yourself.
Barbara & David.

Back