Dusty's SLC Build

2C857E1A-30AD-44FB-B6C0-3E02C5001BFE.jpeg
8EE10A4F-167E-4D85-8DD8-F94E52147A1C.jpeg

The polisher dude shined it all up
Final welded

This brace is not as strong as the factory brace. But will it be strong enough? I suspect so. It “feels” strong According to my subjectometer readings.

That's not one area I'd feel comfortable being weakened - I can't remember exactly the details since this is like 12+yrs ago, but from what I recall the original cars either didn't have a rear cross brace or a really dinky one and ended up cracking.

That is going to be seriously LOUD, need audio!

ya seriously loud. likely annoying amounts of loud. I spoke w my builder about that when we started the exhaust. Thats one of the reasons we had to drop the x brace. There is now enough room that we could but a muffler under the rear clam where the current female exhaust tip extension lays. The theory is that you could unbolt the v--band clamp to the female tip and place the muffler in that space. the question is whether or not the muffler could be insulated enough to not burn the clam....

the question is whether or not the muffler could be insulated enough to not burn the clam....

My car has a similarly routed exhaust with a small section close to the pipes (within a half inch of the upper clam). Initially there was paint discoloration on the bottom side using "gold" heat reflective film. Up graded to the corrugated/dimpled fiberglass backed aluminum heat shield. End of problem. I did duct some cool air into the area to assist at the bottom of the glass and the mufflers are open to the air via a cut-out in the clam.
20190811_184800.jpg

Kyle

Supporter
Ya mine is within 1/4in of the clam. The fiberglass will withstand a ton of heat, especially since it’s not direct. Paint not sure.

My car has a similarly routed exhaust with a small section close to the pipes (within a half inch of the upper clam). Initially there was paint discoloration on the bottom side using "gold" heat reflective film. Up graded to the corrugated/dimpled fiberglass backed aluminum heat shield. End of problem. I did duct some cool air into the area to assist at the bottom of the glass and the mufflers are open to the air via a cut-out in the clam.
View attachment 125792

good to know

how loud are those smallish mufflers? any video/audio for a sampling??

Older video. Engine is not loud IMO, seems to have a large 'amount' of sound as opposed to a loud/high level of sound. If that makes any sense.

Haven’t forgot about the car
They are still working on it.

I’m also doing a lot of work on the rock racer. They just finished building me another fuel tank

47E07E69-7197-42ED-ADF8-0222097A9254.jpeg

OK fellas. Getting close. Those spars heading from the suspension mount to the back of the cage are .25 wall. Rick is going to tie them together with bar right there behind the Heim joint so that they are tied together a bit more.
What do you think about this idea of using the circuit for the outflow of the water pump as a location to mount the radiator fill hose? That’s the tank up against the firewall on the driver side. Is it workable? We were thinking that In that location we could aerate the motor? We would next weld a curved filler neck And put the radiator cap right there. I would also run the head steam vents to that Tank.

Back