Dutton's RCR40 Build Thread

Re: Dutton's Build Thread

Congratulations TIM

Can´t wait for the pics. She is one of the cars with the best color schemes.
Your´s and mine will give a pretty nice pair. We should do some paintshop to bring them in one pic.

TOM

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Re: Dutton's Build Thread

Yahooooooo!!! CONGRATS!!

(But it didn't happen without pics)

Now it just needs a brother in PDX. I'll get right on that.

CK

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
OK Tim
You've had enough time to drool, WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS???
I can't be there to see it in person, so I'm depending on you!

Congrats on the delivery, you will never forget that first drive.
Even now, 2 years since I first drove my car, I still find myself surprised to be a GT40 owner and that smile never goes away when you mash the throttle pedal.....

Bill.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry for the delay, guys - Donna and I were entertaining.

My father-in-law, after learning the night before the 40 would be arriving, hopped in his car and made the 8-hour drive from his home to ours, so as to be able to see the new arrival on day one. He's a great guy who's been more than just casually interested in the progress of the build.

After he headed for home, we grabbed a few shots. Unfortunately, those typical grey Northwest skies returned just before... these photos still don't do the color justice!

Attachments

• outside 1.jpg
    outside 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 556
  • outside 2.jpg
    outside 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 524

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Here's a couple of details which really stand out on the car.

I asked Fran for a set of 'secondary' locks for the rear clip, which I thought was a great idea after noticing them on Cary Gressingers DRB. How it works is, after closing the rear clip, two pins (one on each side of the car) are installed into from the cabin side of the firewall towards the rear and, when seated, physically lock the clip in position. Frans solution is extra heavy duty and, like the DRB, barely noticable when installed.

Frans team also whipped up a nice bit of trim for the shifter. Those knobs just in front are the controls for the air conditioning, and a little something else should a fire break out. I'm still working on finding the gears...

Attachments

• panel pin a.jpg
    panel pin a.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 477
  • panel pin b.jpg
    panel pin b.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 776
  • panel pin c.jpg
    panel pin c.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 765
  • shift trim.jpg
    shift trim.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 646

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice. The details make it. The location of the HVAC controls, shifter cover plate and rear clip locks looks really good.

Tim

This is one outstanding car. As said before i just love the color choice.

Thanks for posting even more pics ( engine)

TOM

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Looking great Tim. Can't wait to see some sun shine pics..or maybe some video....:D

Tim may have received some inspiration for the color choice by the fact that he lives not too far from a nice little town by the name of Lynden (y instead of an i)!

The narrow tail is super classy. She looks like one of the early ('65/'66) cars from JWA but with the halibrands rather than borranis - very classy and very beautiful Tim! I'm sure you're loving getting to know your new car!

Tim,
You are probably not reading this because you are out cruising the roads in that very fine car. I love the way she looks...a very nice tight narrow-tail! (heh,heh) Beautiful color and execution. Let's see some more pics please.
Garry

Congratulations Tim!!!
We need to get together this Summer with the North West guys for a road trip! Looks like Fran's crew came through with a masterpiece and I know you will enjoy it, now if the weather will return to Summer conditions sometime soon?
Steve

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry for the delay, guys - last week was a particularly long one for me. Here are a couple of shots I grabbed over the weekend (I wish I’d taken these photos early in the morning; although the glare isn’t bad, the amount of light was a little too much).

First, the quality of the craftsmanship throughout the car really shows - major kudos to Mark and Dan of RCR who nailed the details. Those able to have an up-close look at this car I’m sure will agree that RCR has some remarkable talent on their team that, when turned loose, can really dazzle you with their detail work.

The interior of the door is simple, clean. The door pocket was enlarged and an out-of-sight 'unlatch' handle was added. To close the door, a billet door pull at the top should do fine.

The dashboard is fairly close to what you'd have found in a road car. Repro steering wheel, Smiths gauges, lucas switches and those warning lights.

A small detail for the dash: that little Lucas 119SA stalk/handle to the right of the steering wheel is used for the turn indicators (move up for left blinker, move down for right blinker), high beam (pull towards the steering wheel for momentary high-beam flash, push away from steering wheel to activate the headlight high beams) and horn (poke the end of the stalk to activate the horn).

From the engine side, there’s very little to visually distract from the real bling back there -- the engine and transaxle. The chassis is powder coated in a low gloss black with the fuel pumps installed behind the black panels on the fire wall at both sides of the car. Fuel and oil lines are in black, and even the fire system nozzles are mounted nearly out of sight. Again, major kudos to Mark and Dan of RCR who did such a great job with the build.

My early observations:

— The tone of the exhaust is totally evil, almost frightening. Perfect.
— Looking over your shoulder to see all those Webers is nearly a religious experience.
— The car is so low that a larger, louder horn may be a wise choice… I’m thinking that the horn used on a freight train may do the trick.

It's looking like the wheel alignment and a few other details should be completed in the next couple of weeks, followed shortly thereafter with the ceremonial ‘first drive’, vehicle inspection and plates for the car.

More on that soon. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• inside door detail.jpg
    inside door detail.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 519
  • dash detail  .jpg
    dash detail .jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 604
  • engine L  .jpg
    engine L .jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 564
  • engine R  .jpg
    engine R .jpg
    105 KB · Views: 559
Dutton,
You have a fantastic and beautiful car! Your choice of color is bold and you should be commended for the choice. Since being a child I dreamed long and hard about owning a GT40 and I was finally able to obtain my dream just weeks ago. If you could have heard my screams of joy when I took her out for a drive this past weekend you'd know. I also have the webers and when taking a quick peek in the rear view mirror as I anticipate passing a slower car its a joy to see 8 trumpeted soldiers waiting to receive orders from their commanding officer to charge. What a sound and what a rush. Even with the hot and himid temps here in Florida she gets up screams when applying the fun pedal. I wish you many hours of ecstacy with your new dare I say "mistress."

Ron McCall

Supporter
Tim,

Do you have a special shift patern or is the shift plate on upside down?
Usually with a ZF, reverse is the furthest gear to the left and forward.

Back