Eric's SLC Project Code Name "Grifter"

Eric, We don't use 'treadwear' here in Aust. For my sake can you expanded on why they are not suitable? Are you required to run '200 treadwear' for your autocross and other events you wish to complete in?
or
are you just looking for a tire with longer wear life?

cheers
Stu

Yep, it's a requirement for the racing series I enter from time to time. I think by doing this it makes it a "street" tire so they are trying to keep cost down, but all it takes is more money...

First off. Thanks for the video !! Was nice to hear feedback on a "first time out" ride. Now that you have been on the road, in your opinion does the car need a sway bar ? My use will be 95% street use and just curious your thoughts.

Great build! Looks like it's a "by the book" kind of build. That's the plan for me as soon as it's time.

How much ground clearance do you have in the front (bottom of splitter to ground)?

First off. Thanks for the video !! Was nice to hear feedback on a "first time out" ride. Now that you have been on the road, in your opinion does the car need a sway bar ? My use will be 95% street use and just curious your thoughts.

My guess is that you wouldn't need the sway bar if you are only driving it on the street.

I just bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the recommended sizes for my soon-to-be roller...

Those are on my list of tires to look at :)

Great build! Looks like it's a "by the book" kind of build. That's the plan for me as soon as it's time.

How much ground clearance do you have in the front (bottom of splitter to ground)?

The front is about 3" give or take, I can slide my foot under it but it's pretty low.

The plan for this was really as you said, a "by the book" type build. I can worry about fancy stuff later but really just wanted to drive it. Adding stuff isn't that bad later down the road for 'creature comforts'.

Another interesting feeling about the car that I'm not used to yet is the aero. Below about 40mph the car just feels normal... above 50mph and the car is SUPER darty, positive and you can really feel the wind on the car. Steering comes alive in a big way and you can really feel the suspension working, it's a totally awesome feeling. The car just ... I dunno... It just goes where you point it. Lane change? BAM! you're now in the next lane, it ain't lazy, believe you me brother.
This fact REALLY dawned on me at the AutoX, sure I placed 74th/135 (mind you there were more than 1 shifter carts and several miatas and Lotus Elises running hoosiers) that my aero was really curbed at such low speeds, once I was back on the highway, the car was a slot car again.
I'm guessing with more seat time, more instruction and a car that's setup, I'll get the hang out of, but for now it's a whole new way of driving for me.

Gotta crawl before you walk.

I completely understand what you're talking about. My Razor had "telepathic" handling. A guy I know out here swapped cars with me and we took a quick spin around the Red Rock Canyon loop. It's a 13 mile one way road that climbs from 3500' to 5000', with handfuls of 90 degree and 180 degree turns thrown in everywhere. The longest straight is maybe .75 miles.

Anyways, after driving my Razor, he felt as though his 458 handled like a barge. Yeah, the 458 can sing... But the Razor out handled it by a LONG shot. And my car had some crappy Sumitoma tires on it.

Enjoy the SLC! You can always upgrade it in those long freezing winters up there. (I grew up in New Richmond... The town next to the Apple River float park.)

I completely understand what you're talking about. My Razor had "telepathic" handling. A guy I know out here swapped cars with me and we took a quick spin around the Red Rock Canyon loop. It's a 13 mile one way road that climbs from 3500' to 5000', with handfuls of 90 degree and 180 degree turns thrown in everywhere. The longest straight is maybe .75 miles.

Anyways, after driving my Razor, he felt as though his 458 handled like a barge. Yeah, the 458 can sing... But the Razor out handled it by a LONG shot. And my car had some crappy Sumitoma tires on it.

Enjoy the SLC! You can always upgrade it in those long freezing winters up there. (I grew up in New Richmond... The town next to the Apple River float park.)

My claim to fame is getting hitting in the head by a dirt chunk from Dale Jr. while he was up at the dirt track for "celebrity" night. LOL

Trying to find some 200treadwear tires that fit the 19's on the car because the tires I have now just aren't sticky enough. :( *sad face*

I have been through multiple sets of PS2/PS3s in a Viper. They are both *great* in the rain - seriously. Fine in the dry, but can't say they are any better than similar offerings from other brands. They do follow road groves/irregularities quite bad when down to the last 50% or less of tread.

Have PS3s on the SLC, but not driven yet.

FWIW, I found out a local shop that specializes in setting up Porsche 911 race cars. I handed them my SLC for a professional alignment and basically told them to go over the car as they would one of their race cars.

Well, well, well... did they ever find a few things that I had over looked.

It's going to cost a few bucks, but I'm glad I got another set of eyes on my car to verify/check/recheck my work.

Word from the guys at the shop (who run a twin turbo GT2 as their flagship race car) is that it handles like a P1 after they got done tweaking it.

Gonna be saaawweeeeet!

Word from the guys at the shop (who run a twin turbo GT2 as their flagship race car) is that it handles like a P1 after they got done tweaking it.QUOTE]

So they performed some "testing" after the tweaking :thumbsup:. One of the perks when working in those types of shops.....

Ok Eric get in that SLC and put some miles on it and tells us what you think. Maybe you could find time to make a few laps somewhere. Post whatever you find, keep the post coming.

I'm on it fellas!

The verdict is in and my wallet is dry but its officially aligned, weighed and race prepped. Check the attachment for weight and four corners weight distribution.

This is with 10 gallons of fuel so it weighs just under 2,500lbs.

Attachments

• 11707744_10155728936750702_2547176018609599735_o.jpg
    11707744_10155728936750702_2547176018609599735_o.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 317
Wow, 2500lbs!

That's a street car with a LS3 motor, G50 transaxle and a relatively bare interior...Correct?

That gives the rest of us a baseline to shoot for!

FWIW, I found out a local shop that specializes in setting up Porsche 911 race cars. I handed them my SLC for a professional alignment and basically told them to go over the car as they would one of their race cars.

Well, well, well... did they ever find a few things that I had over looked.

OK Eric you can't post something like that and then not get into real specifics. What kind of camber, caster, and toe are you now running front and back?

Back