F1 in 2015

£25 Verstappen to finish season above Saintz, OK

Oh, by the way, this is the Sky view:

Verstappen is a star in the making

No, not just a star, but in the words of Martin Brundle, a pundit not given to hyperbole, but "a potential superstar". The Toro Rosso youngster isn’t only super-fast, but, better still, he’s super-exciting. Even after just three races, Verstappen oozes talent and the type of box office aggression that the sport hasn’t born since Lewis Hamilton marked his F1 debut eight years ago by mugging the then-world champion Fernando Alonso into the first corner in Australia. And Hamilton, of course, had a McLaren to play with; Verstappen is ripping through the midfield in a car bereft of straightline speed, finding ways of overtaking where there ought to be none.

Unless his Red Bull contract is watertight, some big hitters will surely be knocking on Verstappen’s door soon, ready and willing to rip up any long-term driver line-up plans they may have had.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
No mention of Nico throwing his toys out of the pram? Loved the way Seb stirred the pot at the after race interview. Lewis "I was managing my tyres, the idea is you start with $100 and manage it so you have nothing left at race end". Seb "how much did you have left then".

Keith

Now THAT was what I call a proper MotoGP race! Anybody who switched off early missed the best, and a podium for Cal too. :thumbsup:

Oh, sorry, yes the F1 race was OK too. Nearly, very nearly but not quite an upset at the top.

Now THAT was what I call a proper MotoGP race! Anybody who switched off early missed the best, and a podium for Cal too. :thumbsup:

Oh, sorry, yes the F1 race was OK too. Nearly, very nearly but not quite an upset at the top.

Nearly suggested you put your fiver back in your wallet NEARLY

Keith

For once, he is correct. He knows it's fucked up and he has publicly said so but he is bound by contract to the teams via the 7th Concord Agreement (2013/2020) which is at the heart of all the problems. If the Big 4 (or 5?) could actually agree on anything constructive then you might see change. So far, they have steadfastly refused to consider a fairer redistribution of the money. Ferrari, for example, get £100 million per season just for turning up for Christs sake!

There's your problem...

Right there...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Spot on Keith, that is the problem and Bernie knows it, but getting it changed requires a whole new Concord agreement and that will be tougher than selling bacon in Syria.

Red Bull/Renault is said to have new pistons for the European races. Supposedly they have been out of spec., hence the loss of maximum power.

Keith

Renault re-wrote the F1 racing engine rules, firstly with the first turbo era, then with desmodromic pneumatic valves (opening the way to 20k rpm and ultimate horsepower) and finally the V10 configuration that proved a killer combination for Patrese & Boutson while the rest (TAG Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo even Ford) were still floundering around with their heavy V12's.

But this? An unmitigated PR and engineering disaster that's going to take them years to recover from... I think someone in Renault thought they could walk this new formula because they had done it before. How wrong...

Last edited:
Back