Fuel fitting question

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I want to be able to install a pick-up tube into the tanks from on top of the tanks, preferably by screwing it into place. I've not found any fitting that allows me to do so without the need for gaskets or internal access to the tank (flange and bulkhead fittings). I've looked and asked, and no vendor contacted thus-far can provide me with a solution.
So, here I am back to the experts. Does such an animal exist?

ox

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Re: Fuel fitting question RESOLVED

Out of frustration at not finding what I wanted, I took matters into my own hands. I welded in a 1" NPT fitting onto the fuel tank roof. Then took a 1" x 1/2" NPT reducer bushing and tapped another set of 1/2" NPT threads on the unthreaded end (these fittings are only tapped about half-way through as sold. Then I screwed two AN-8 fittings, one on each end of the reducer bushing so that one was pointed down into the fuel tank, and the other was point up for a fuel line connection. On the one pointed down, I attached a flared tube of proper depth. Now I ony need to screw the entire assembly into the 1" pipe fitting in the tank roof in order to install the pick-up tube. No gaskets, and no requirements to access the insides of the tank.
Pictorial:

The left bushing is an un-modified reducer bushing with no internal threads cut on the non-hex end. The middle bushing is the same bushing only with new threads cut on the other end. The AN-8 fitting on the right is the fitting that will screwed into both ends (2 fittings) of the fully threaded reducer bushing

standard.jpg

This shows the assembly with the tube sleeve attached:

standard.jpg

And with the flared tube attached:

standard.jpg

And lastly, the entire assembly is screwed into the 1" NPT hole. The hex tube sleeve slips right through the opening. The top part is ready to take any combination of fuel line/fitting. It appears that I'm needing to tap the 1" threads a little deeper in order to screw the reducer bushing further into the tank though.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I want to be able to install a pick-up tube into the tanks from on top of the tanks, preferably by screwing it into place. I've not found any fitting that allows me to do so without the need for gaskets or internal access to the tank (flange and bulkhead fittings). I've looked and asked, and no vendor contacted thus-far can provide me with a solution.
So, here I am back to the experts. Does such an animal exist?

ox

take a Swagelok fitting or any compression fitting and bore the fitting so the tube will go all the way through the body of the fitting. insert the tube to the depth you require and lock down the compression fitting. install AN flare or compression fitting on upper end of tube that is sticking out the top of the fitting to adapt to fuel line. also known as bored thur compression fittings.

HI Terry Lynn beat me to the hollowed out fitting. The best part of using them is if you can find a filter that will fit through the opening you can position it where you want then tighten it in location and be able to remove for cleaning without removing the tanks. Nice Job on your Build Wally

Back