Gas Mileage

Hi I was wanting to know what sort of gas mileage a GT40 powered by a 302 Ford Windsor fitted with fuel injection would do at a steady 60mph on the motorway? (Please advise if quoting US or Imperial gallons) and what sort of normal round town gas mileage would be obtained with just ordinary driving.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Paul..

It would depend on a number of things that are not stated in your post.
Assuming a somewhat stock 5.0 engine (88-94) 302 with factory EFI and reasonable gearing, I would think that 25-30 MPG (US) would be within reach. These cars weigh roughly 1,000 pounds less than the Mustangs the engines would have been in.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Paul

This has been discussed at Enthusiast Club meetings and numbers vary wildly
I have got a DAX weing in at 1150kg with a Rover derrived TVR race spec engine in it and I believe I hold the best consumption record - at a little over 30MPG (UK gallons) This was done in a queue of traffic coming back from Le Mans to Caen in 2008 The queue was running at about 50mph and mant that I was in 5th (just) and the EFI did it's job.

BUT I have also had it as low as 6mpg - but then engine was running very rich then

On the Le Mans track time last year my car did a total of 9 laps (7 friday and 2 Saturday) - About 50 miles and that used about 38 litres of petrol.

Then on to ford 302 cars
People expect to get between 20 and 25mpg (UK units) on a leasurely run (Motorway is 70mph here) (Based on 650Holley)

I have also heard of one car running a 289 with quad Webers and he never managed 20mpg - between 12 and 15 was his normal estimate

I hope it helps but does it matter whe SMILES per gallon makes it all worth while!

Ian

Below is some data I recently collected in my carbed Miata (302-mild).

Test course: Durango west on Hwy 160 to Mancos and return. Elevation: 6600 to 8400 to 7000 and back - its a roller coaster ride. Length is about 60 miles. Each test was measured by GPS for miles traveled to determine mpg.

Test speed: 60 mph (as close as possible)

4th gear @ 60 mph = 2600 rpm. this yielded a minimum vacuum reading of about 8" hg. I would call this "hardly any throttle needed to maintain speed" MPG for this test was 23.28.

5th gear @ 60 mph = 1750 rpm. this yielded a minimum vacuum reading of 2" hg. I would call this "significant throttle needed to maintain speed" MPG for this test was 27.58.

the difference in rpm is about 33%, the difference in mileage is about 15%. It seems the mileage would be closer to the rpm difference (less efficiency?) on a level test. FYI, my trip to the texas mile (1000 miles from 6600 ft to 200 ft) gave about 25mpg @ 75 mph in fifth.

On a 1200 mile trip in my SPF with 427 traveling with wife and dog above 60mph most of the way I was averaging 25mpg US.

I'm very impressed that you would be getting 30 mpg (Imperial Gallons) with a 427 cubic inch motor! Could you give a few details as to the setup?

p.s. I'm more interested as with these sort of gas milages it becomes quite an affordable everyday ride when its not been pushed hard.

Paul,
It's going to vary quite a bit depending on gearing, engine mods, and fuel delivery. I have a 427 Windsor stroker like Mike. I can get as high as 22mpg at steady 60mph highway driving. The key there is the engine is only turning 1800rpm and is still on the idle circuit. This is with a 750 dp carb-does Mike have F.I.? City driving drops to only 10-12mpg. With a mild 302, injection, and the right gearing you might be able to average over 20mpg.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have not run the numbers, but these cars are fairly light with fairly good aerodynamics. As long as you go easy on the loud pedal, they sould get fairly good mileage

Hi Paul

Just to give you an example of how fuel consumption can vary according to the driving conditions. We had a Lotus Exige with supercharged Toyota engine. With normal enthusiastic driving on the road it gave about 35 miles per Imperial gallon. Going round a track on track days this dropped to 10 to 12 mpg. I think this was due to the fact that one rarely revved to more than 6000 on the road, because you didn't need to, whereas on a track it would be between 6000 and 8000 most of the time (the rev limit was 8,500).

I cannot imagine anyone using a GT40 as a daily driver because of the numerous disadvantages - it is a race car after all.

I am afraid I have never checked the consumption of my RF, which has EFI, so can't give you any figures. As has previously been pointed out, however, the revs are usually very low on the road due to the high overall gearing.

Chris

Stock 350HP 302 with Holley, MDA mk1, Renault 21 gearbox (5 speed) steady motorway driving (70mph ish) I generally get about 23 to 25mpg (Imperial UK), daily driver - I don't think so, there are other factors to take into consideration for that and if you use it all the time where's the fun in taking it for a "blast" somewhere?

Cav GT40 408 Ford Racing (351-W) 770 Holley RBT Z-F 5 spd 2,800 RPM @ 55 MPH, Did 900 mile drive-about Pacific N.W. of USA. 35% freeways the rest 2 lane hi-way and mountain twistys: city and fun runs 10 MPG, Freeway runs (doing legal speeds 55-70 MPH) 17-19 MPG. Altitude ranged 20 to 3,500 feet.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I like to put a few test miles on cars before handing them over, it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it:) We've only done ZF cars here, most with low final drives although our Gulf car has a 4.22 fd.

Doesn't seem to be any trouble getting 30mpg on the highway with a 347 on Weber 48IDAs or 8Stack EFI averaging around the speed limit. The Ford Racing 392 on Webers with the 4.22fd still manages 24mpg.

Anyways, it's more about the sound and total obliteration of other cars wouldn't you say?

Cheers

Back