Goodbye Mallory Park

Bloody Noise Nannies!

Correct me if I am not wrong but the circuit was there & not quiet when many of the current crop of locals moved in :huh::huh:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Never ceases to amaze me how some people can build or buy into such an area and then start bellyaching to 'authorities' about the noise. 'Same with those who build or buy near an airport or a set of railroad tracks.

What special kind of stupid does one have to be in order to do that?

What is more important is what STUPID local body accepts complaints from these recent arrivals.
It should be a case of you bought knowing there was a motor racing circut there so we will accept no complaints from you.
And if you bought not knowing there was a cricut there then you are too dum to find out what is around before buying and again accept no complaints.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
People moving into such areas (we have them here too) should be made to sign a waiver preventing them from complaining before they are allowed to move in.

The place has been used for motorsport since the late forty`s so in theory if you take out all the complainants that have purchased housing in the area after that date you would be left with a population that are probably unable hear it anyway.

About Us

Bob

Sooner or later Laguna will suffer the same fate....the housing of the rich(er) and not so famous keep getting closer and closer.

What is needed is to have a Caviet saying we acknollege there is a motor racing circut applied to the titles of all new subdivisions that are creeping closer to the track. This will take a concerted effort and probably a legal battle with council and the sub-devider but it has to be done. The sub-devider will not want it as it could lower the price he can ask and councils will probably not have the balls to aspply this with out a fight.

All true but this wasn't really a NIMBY story - this was about the operators deciding to ignore their planning consent

"The council said the company was not adhering to an agreement that set the number of annual noisy race days at 92.

The company said the agreement, signed in 1985, was too rigid and restrictive."

Beats me how the council had any say in the matter from the outset. This track has been around since before the times that any planning consent in this country was needed , Mallory park should therefore be in a position to stick two fingers up to any council on the grounds of grandfather rights. Something is very wrong about the whole affair.It may have more to do with the fact that a property developer owns the circuit and there is a hidden agenda .

Bob

Bloody Noise Nannies!

Correct me if I am not wrong but the circuit was there & not quiet when many of the current crop of locals moved in :huh::huh:

How do major airports survive? Here in Chicago we have 2 large airports and people live just off the runways. People even stay in the airport Hilton at O'Hare which is pretty much on the ramp!

The circuit is owned by Titan properties ltd who are very quiet on the whole affair. They dont seem willing to assist in the running of the circuit or bothered by its plight. I would not be surprised to see the whole place traded off for housing in the near future.

Bob

Malcolm

Supporter

Reading the above, the circuit may survive, but it is the operator who is gone. Question is can a business model be found to work on two days a week trading? It is now over rented by the landlord who has a choice of no income, reduced income or its a development site. The latter is probably the most valuable and was probably their fall back position when they bought the land yeaars ago. Shame as Glenn and I had a great race weekend at Mallory a few years back.

Its a shame that it cant be claimed to be an english heritage site and slap a preservation order on the place , its old enough and of historic value. That would piss on the landlords and councils fireworks , it would force everybody concerned to raise their game and make the place work rather that the slow strangulation it`s suffering right now.All so sad.

Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Good Idea Bob

When we were last there did we not also see the 3 toed crested newt that needs to be preserved and this is the only natural habitat left where it can be seen in the wild?

The developers could be held back for years!

Ian

All they have to do is go and bury a sack load of pipi shells or periwinkles I think you call them in the uk, and a couple of small calf or sheep bones then accidently find it while digging a hole for a new long drop, and wallah its a site of historical importance, works a treat in NZ.

Back