Gratitude

Pat

Supporter
Keith, thanks for that.

I was referring to my paid forum membership.

If you compare my previous participation levels in the Paddock to what is current, you'll see I pretty much disengaged some time ago. I'm sure many consider that a blessing.

Keith

Pat, you should continue please. Your input to the Paddock has always been valued by me and many others...A rare voice of reason.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Actually I miss Jim too
He got really passionate and was bashed by many - I did not agree with some of his views but still respect them and we had good debates on occasion

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Actually I miss Jim too
He got really passionate and was bashed by many - I did not agree with some of his views but still respect them and we had good debates on occasion

Ian

Hi Ian, Pat how have you been... I have not checked in for awhile, it seems the paddoc has been....reduced. That's too bad, but I'm Facebook friends with Pete, Jeff, Pat and a few others so I have not lost friends. I love a good, fair political debate and I do miss talking with the folks here.

Ian, if you are looking for a good, fair discussion I highly recommend "Quora", a great international discussion sight, they won't censor sarcasm, but you better bring FACTS, triple checked facts... These are very smart folks, sarcasm and facts are accepted, bullshit is not, it's very refreshing.

Last edited:

Keith

In my humble opinion the new paddock rules have censored debate and pander to political correctness. Just saying.

No Pete, the "new" Paddock rules are to help ensure that Ron's hard work and considerable commitment to this site is not chucked down the toilet by a bunch of grumpy old men...:furious:

Keith

Hi Ian, Pat how have you been... I have not checked in for awhile, it seems the paddoc has been....reduced. That's too bad, but I'm Facebook friends with Pete, Jeff, Pat and a few others so I have not lost friends. I love a good, fair political debate and I do miss talking with the folks here.

Ian, if you are looking for a good, fair discussion I highly recommend "Quora", a great international discussion sight, they won't censor sarcasm, but you better bring FACTS, triple checked facts... These are very smart folks, sarcasm and facts are accepted, bullshit is not, it's very refreshing.

That's a really good idea :idea:

What's really shocking about the Cologne attacks is that they appear to have been organized on such a large scale. This shows a higher level of criminal intent by the participants and organizers. Here in the US we have additional and specific laws that address organized crime (such as RICO) with the purpose of imposing heightened punishment to a wider group of organizers and participants who all participate in furthering the criminal undertaking in some manner.

This wasn't a discreet incident involving a few drunk football fans after a match. This was an organized crime involving a large number of people with a much higher level of criminal planning and intent. Thus, a more punitive response is appropriate...longer sentences, holding all participants responsible for the crimes committed, not just their individual crimes, etc.

Whether we link up this type of group behavior to the presence of other cultures within our respective countries is another matter. Only time and research into the manner and nature of the commission of this group crime will tell if there are common characteristics among the participants.

On the topic of refugees, this is a classic not-in-my-back yard analysis. The refugees coming in from distressed places like Somalia have to be dealt with somehow. If they stay in Somalia then we simply concentrate/contain the problem within a smaller geographic circle....and keep it out of our back yards....but to think that's dealing with the fundamental problem somehow is uneducated to say the least. Guess where terrorism and dirty bomb threats and mass breakdown of the rule of law tends to happen? Yup, places like Somalia.....and ultimately, it's a problem for everyone.

Just my $.02.

Keith

Look chaps, I have no problems with whatever you want to "discuss", seriously. If you want to cite "political correctness" at me (God! How I HATE that term!) I would point out that I am the least politically correct person you have ever met, but when I take a task on, I will perform it to the best of my abilities.

It came to a point in time last year when the Paddock was about to be switched off due to overheated "discussions" and many complaints to the site owners.

I took the job of moderating so that the Paddock could be kept on and a limit be set. I was hoping that it could be self policing but from where I stand, there's always people wanting to push the envelope and bring in subjects which are bound to attract strident responses which inevitably end up in name calling, personal insults and general bad vibes. To wit: American politics, gun ownership and the current favourite; anti Muslim rhetoric.

Absolutely no issue with any of that - in the proper place. In my view that is NOT the Paddock or anywhere else on GT40's which, I would remind you, is the world's leading authority on GT40's and a treasure trove of information about building, owning and racing classic sports racing cars. Not every visitor to the site would perhaps appreciate some of the content that has been published here and the site's reputation is bound to suffer for it. I wouldn't mind if there was anything new in the posts, ever, but there isn't. It's the same old regurgitated rhetoric most of the time that follows a fairly precise and well beaten path.

Open the newspapers, switch on the TV - this stuff is coming at you every which way from whichever "wing" of whatever political party or media outfit you care to name. Personally I get sick of it, and I rather hoped GT40s was a place you could come to to lose yourselves in a passionate hobby not meet more of the same crap head on.

I will make a deal with you all. For those who think this policy is wrong, please contact Ron or Randy directly by PM. State your case and if they agree with you, I will happily stand down and you can have at it.

Fair enough?

In fact I'm pretty sick of it all anyway, and when you start to dread opening your mail then I think it's time to go. I've got far more burning issues to attend to than this.

Keith

Keef why cant this forum have a members only area, a place that you can only enter by choice :idea::shocked:

Bob

It has been debated. I don't think Ron got particularly excited by the idea. I mean why? It's a car forum - it's just the wrong venue in my view. Many people also earn their living through this medium so that has to be respected too.

Anyway, it's not my forum. Ask Ron.

Here's an idea. Start and host your own forum and then you can do exactly as you please..:idea:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sorry to cause you anguish Keith, but the reason I respectfully disagreed was because I enjoyed the cut and thrust of the old paddock. I certainly learnt more about American politics , global warming and the gun debate from both sides of the argument than I could from reading our Australian newspapers which seem to think what a transsexual Kardashian has for breakfast more important than world politics.
I also enjoyed winding the odd person up which seemed remarkably easy to do at times.
Anyway I think you have done an excellent job as moderator and as you say probably have saved the paddock from extinction.
So I will say no more on the subject. Keep up the good work.
Regards
P.

Colonel sir --
As a long time observer, I appreciate all of your efforts trying to keep The Paddock corralled (something akin to herding cats comes to mind). There will always be those that push the buttons of others just to get a reaction from them. That being said, keep up the good work!

Back