Help Please--917 Engine Fan Info

One minor snippet on this one...

I read in a porsche racing history book I have that the fan had to be horizontally mounted rather than vertical (as on all other porsche engines) due to the length of the flat 12...those cylinders farthest away would not receive adequate cooling.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I replaced the six blade fan on an old 911 I had with the more common 11 blade fan and it made a heck of an improvement in keeping the engine temps down.

You guys have done yeoman's service in bringing me every so much more information than I thought was even possible to obtain!

Thank you, everyone, very much, for all these invaluable nuggets of knowledge! :)

Les :)

Les, just in case you feel the need to fabricate a fan drive with bevel gears, find an old AP auto trans out of any British Leyland or BMC Austin/Morris Mini/1100/1300/Allegro etc. These things have a couple of spiral bevel gearsets that would be ideal size wise for making a drive setup for that fan.

If you love 917, here are some pics of the incredible car that had just stopped behind me, as I'was working on a fuel leak on my friend's GT40 in the pits of Le Castellet track, last sunday.

Put off the wrenches, to have a look at this "thing" ! 1300hp (I was said ! ), and it seemed to be almost undriveable, as its driver had sometimes some issues to stay on the track ! And what a sound !

Got some close pics of the engine (and fan !) Sorry, taken with my phone...

Attachments

• 917 engine1.jpg
    917 engine1.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 1ere sortie Circuit gt 40 Castellet 015.JPG
    1ere sortie Circuit gt 40 Castellet 015.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 1ere sortie Circuit gt 40 Castellet 018.JPG
    1ere sortie Circuit gt 40 Castellet 018.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 917 engine2.jpg
    917 engine2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 691
  • 917 rear.jpg
    917 rear.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 917 cockpit 2.jpg
    917 cockpit 2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 917 cockpit.jpg
    917 cockpit.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 270
Thanks for the pictures.
it's a 917/10, but it's strange there is no rear wing...

this engine is normally aspirated, it's 630bhp (maximum)

(1300bhp it's for 917/30 turbocharged motor)

That was really a very informative reply Gabriel ................................ ?

Thanks for noticing the error lol.

I had replied too early about why the fan located under the engine would be problematic but I went on to see someone had responded with rationale so I edited my post. I don't have permission to delete the post, and didn't want to come across as a d*ck for restating a previous post.

Hope all is well and you are enjoying the 917!

Back