Hi...I'm new..Looking to Buy/Purchase Heritage Racing Colors

Hello all,
I've been a follower of GT40s.com for awhile now. I own a FFR cobra painted the GT40 heritage racing colors... Now I am on the hunt for a GT40 painted in heritage racing colors... My excuse to the wife is little brother needs to find his big brother...

I'm looking to buy a turn-key car; thinking RCR, CAV, or Superformance product. I do have a budget (my wife is an accountant).

Let me know if there are any sellers out there...Help me find my big brother.
Matt
[email protected]

Matt, whats the budget? Hate to ask but its a critical point in buying one of these cars. This will also help in getting responses to your inquiry. Just an FYI if you don't already know.... SPF buyers ask for more money for their cars, RCR and CAV cars run close depending on engine and tranny with CAV factory built cars probably just edging then in some situations. There are other very good manufactures out there also so look to them. There is a car over in England that I think is very tasty. You'll find it at www.newforestclassiccars.com

This guy did a great job on creating a very nice copy IMHO but I'm unsure what it would take to get the car here or if that's even possible. Plus they are asking a lot of money for this car. I'm just mentioning it to let you know there are some great cars out there that fit your needs. Good Luck in your hunt.

I would like to stay $60k-70k for the right CAV/RCR. I want to stay in the USA, that way I might be able to fly and drive home. Should be a sorted car, as right now no time to work on them.

Reason for that budget; Pantera are less....(used) Porsche 911 turbos are less...
Matt

1st, check GT40's for sale on this forum. You may also want to check Cobra Country or Club Cobra. Ebay is a possibility but I doubt if you're going to find one on that budget number there. 2nd, you may want to widen your search, that is, you're on the marginal end for selecting just the right car that fits your taste. You might consider searching for the car that 'fits' you regardless of color scheme and then paint to desired taste. It is a popular livery but you might wait a while for that exact color in the exact car for your exact budget. Most turn-key minuses go for around 60-65 thou or more, add a transaxle @ 5-10 or 12k that's prepped for GT40 use, add an adaptor if using a Porsche type unit, then throw in 5 - 15lk for a good running SB Ford powerplant unless you have one available that's trustworthy or you build it (still around 3-5k min), also add in peripherals and hardware......and you can see that most guys aren't exactly keen on letting them go for a lot less than what they have into it. I would guess that most have at least 85 - 100k into their car, not counting a lot of hours. Still, there have been a few here that were excellent cars, sorted out and well finished that did sell in that range - they just don't pop up frequently. If, as you hinted at, you're not locked on to a GT40 ( you mentioned Panteras and Porsches as options ), maybe more of an everyday driver would be a better choice. Most of the insurance companies put a mileage/usage limit on the GT40s as well. All of us here would hope you opt for the 40 though.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Al makes some good points, personally I think you might struggle to get into a CAV/RCR with your budget and less likely to get everything you want. Consider something like the Scratch built that has been advertised on this forum (and just reduced to $55K) then use the spare change to paint and make it the way you want it.

Julian

Matt, follow the advise Julian makes. At 55K you'll be getting a GT40 at a very good price and can then paint the car to suit. When I bought my car initially that's the logic I used.....Get the car first and worry about color later.

Back