It lives! (but no tach :/ )

Fired it up today and it lives! No leaks, no fires, good oil pressure. I even ended up making my own alternator bracket and the belt didn't go shooting off (well, at least after the first 12 attempts to get the right geometry, haha).

They're right though - for overal cam and lumpity-lump-lump sound you can't beat an old school Windsor, but it still has a nice note to it.

Only problem though is my digidsh isn't picking up the tach - I've joined the 2 wires from the GM bulkhead to the digidash and used a resistor inline. So far I've tried 1/2watt 1.1k, 1/4 4.7k+300 and 1/4 5.1k and it keeps reading 0 :/

all that's left is figure out the tach, do suspension (ride height, caster/camber/etc...), then onto the 917 :lipsrsealed:

+1.

Get on it Alex! Seriously though, congratulations Alex. It's been a long road, and I'm genuinely happy for you.

Last edited:
D'oh, stupid me - I wired the tach wires in the incorrect order to the resistor, that's why I got 0 output.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I figured it was time to get my ass in gear after seeing you and Allan pound through your builds, while most of us original guys were still flopping around 3yrs later ;)

Or...4 years later in my case....congratulations Alex - you definitely deserve a well running car after all you've been through!

Dave L

Wait, Alex has an engine... that's running and everything... What does it mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

1) An alignment of the stars occurred at the same moment of 1st start
2) A pact with the devil was made

All kidding aside - 1st start can be a tense/pleasurable experience. Glad you figured it out - let's hear that exhaust note.

Geez, there goes half our joke material because Alex has a fuel injected, working engine. Just kidding, congrats Alex, you deserve a smooth engine start. Video?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
YEE-HAW!!!

Sometimes perseverence is its own reward, you just proved that...:thumbsup:

Cheers on the milestone, from Doug!!!!

Geez, there goes half our joke material because Alex has a fuel injected, working engine. Just kidding, congrats Alex, you deserve a smooth engine start. Video?

It's boring, but it's first (basically) start so I'm just going to be rolling back and forth, terrified out of my mind hoping my transaxle works and the engine doesn't grenade ... but ya'll know the feeling :O

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAFwqaK8CI]RCR SLC First Start - YouTube[/ame]

Congrats on your engine start!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help in the future.

Chet

Thanks again for your help on fixing my dash after the leather shop munged it up. It's perfect now thanks to you :D

Btw, if you were over-extending the clutch (pushing it too far), what would the symptoms be? This is my first time setting up a hydrualic clutch so I'm terrified of setting it wrong.

What I did was:

*Put the car in 1st
*Have somebody try to push the car (no go)
*Slowly push the clutch down until they could start pushign the car forward with a little bit of effort
*Set my clutch stop about 1/4'' forward of that point, at which point they could easily push the car forward.

It all feels good, I'm just trying to figure out, if it were over-extending, what the symptoms would be (would the engine stall on release, would you be unable to shift, etc...)

Back