Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

Thanks Brian,
Some more progress on the cars this week.

Attachments

• IMG_4037-1.JPG
    IMG_4037-1.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_4039-1.JPG
    IMG_4039-1.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 995
  • IMG_4040-1.JPG
    IMG_4040-1.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,044

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

nd a clean surface for painting.

Attachments

• IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,019

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Brian,
Some more progress on the cars this week.

Very nice work...

Interesting on the duct work for the cabin air and brake cooler.. I have never seen those from this angle before! All to original specs?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Randy,
The heater plenum is an original from an FAV road car and the brake duct cowlings are new fabrications made from Alistair's originals.
The two air duct inlets on the plenum were blocked off during it's previous service but I will be opening the up again :)

Apologies for my redacted previous post but my comment was how well the Zintec coating has preserved my chassis given the time it has been lying bare.

Keith

A work of automotive art. Really makes you realise how complex the design and execution was at a time when monocoques were designed and built as one-offs.

Kind of fitting then that Ford money pioneered 'mass' production of such a difficult piece.

Interesting stuff indeed and very complex...
besides the zinc layer which will also be less due to welding and grinding at some places I guess? what do you do about that... zinc spray and then also a complete chassis paint?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Rene,
We are still considering electrophoretic coatings but this involves drilling drain holes in the chassis' :sad:

My original Konis and suspension parts were fitted to my chassis by Scott and Alistair this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_4113.JPG
    IMG_4113.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:

hm, indeed...just saw a video about that process...
if you have to drill holes maybe it needs not to many, depends how they dip the car I guess? maybe you can come to a great solution, such nice car with such lot details and work needs to be conserved well but also be driven.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

This week's work down on the farm.
Fitting the inner flitch panels to Alistair's rear cradle prior to dropping on the shell for bonding to an exact fit. The inner vent ducts are also being modified to fit our new brake coolers.
A photo of the rear end of my chassis showing the scallops for wider shock springs and one detailing the front complete.

Attachments

• IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_4140.JPG
    IMG_4140.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_4141.JPG
    IMG_4141.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_4142.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 848

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for all the kind words recently.
Back at it now.:thumbsup:
Alistair has made great strides with his car. He is now removing his parts ready for painting the chassis in his new spray shop. (substantially all original parts on this car now so he's being very careful !)
photos later.

I am removing alloy heads from my engine and fitting a fresh pair of C6FE iron heads (will be later making up another spare original engine from NOS running parts as I have another two sets of these heads from the prototype GT40 cars).
Now in the middle of fabricating a rear clip cradle and the cambered square tube turned up from the forge today so will get onto finishing it at the weekend.

During a call to my foundry this morning to get some rear clip brackets and other small stuff cast they said need work so I am taking in a NOS -0 bellhousing which I got last month and a -0/-1 gearbox casing for CNC scans and pattern mould making. Incidentally this gearbox was originally installed on an original Mirage car (ref: R. Spain)
Will let you know how we get on.

Other related foundry work - but not for these two cars:
I suggested making Weber 48 IDA outers but with a partially solid core to fit injectors and original style SW pump cases to fit modern fuel units internally. We might as well make the triple 40 bore Porsche Webers while we are it.:thinking:
It should be fun sorting these out but when they are cast I will leave them on the shelf for later.

I am still hunting parts and found another batch of Hartwell latches recently, I can't remember exactly how many but quite a lot. Need someone to supply the steel outer shells and new posts now.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

More Hartwell latches for modifying

Attachments

• Hartwell Latches.jpg
    Hartwell Latches.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 590

Looks like you are making hast slowly James.

I always enjoy the detail you put in.
As always excellent.

Jim

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Jim
Thanks mate.
Life gets in the way when you least expect it but I'm getting on with the car again.

James you continue to inspire us. I would like to be the first to place an order for a set of your Weber castings. The thought of using a real set of Weber's to make an EFI system goes against my better judgment.

A friend and I are thinking of making an EFI system that would include traction control and possibly ABS. We think it would be helpful to be able to control the ever increasing HP of these cars or ever the mere 450HP I have in my car. It sounds crazy but it starting to look like I'm the only one out there with less than 500HP. I for one can use all the help I can get.

Great work and please keep me posted on your progress with the Weber's.

Last edited:

Hi James,

Nice to see you back here and, as always, amazed with your work and attention to detail

Take care!

JP

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Richard,
You might have a wait for the castings but your welcome to first dibs if they turn out as I expect. The trouble at the moment is working out the location of the injectors.
Did you get the gear shift thingy ?

Here is the result of this morning's graft.
An old Kenlowe fan fully re-built with a new fan, lube washers and carbon brushes. I have also added some insurance by weatherproofing it and fitting some Kapton insulation tape.
These were pretty useless in the day but it needs to go in.

Attachments

• Kenlowe Fan Motor Restoration 02.jpg
    Kenlowe Fan Motor Restoration 02.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Kenlowe Fan Motor Restoration.jpg
    Kenlowe Fan Motor Restoration.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 452
  • Kenlowe Fan Brackets 02.jpg
    Kenlowe Fan Brackets 02.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Handsomely done. I would be interested in the SW outers for modern fuel pumps, I think it is a great idea.

Glad to see you poke your head up; Groundhog Day was a while back, you know......glad your cars are coming along. Do you think you might get a drive this summer or fall? I hope so.

I need to get mine out of the garage; time for its fettling at the shop. Other cars keep getting in ahead of it.

Back