Jms iii slc

I've had those mirrors on another car and found them to be very light and not very susceptible to road vibration - but they were a bastard to align and keep aligned with a locking screw buried deep within the mount..

On another note - The windows sure appear to be very dark. Does the local law not have anything to say about them? I know that here, they'd ticket you and not allow the car to be driven further - necessitating a tow home on a flat bed..

The mirrors do have to be adjusted well before tightening. We are thinking of opening a hole under the set screw in the door so that you could get to it when mounted. Want to be sure of the placement before going there.

The windows are just an illusion - especially since the glass is not in! Both side windows are out. It all just looks dark because of the lighting in the garage.

Howard,
I'm painting a black border (Border Black for polycarbonate from www.fivestarbodies.com) around the windows, fixing with two sided foam tape Here is the McMaster-Carr P/N for the 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick adhesive backed foam rubber seal (8694K11). It comes in 50 ft rolls and sells for under $5.00.

and using 4 each black 8-32 nylon machine screws in the corners for each side. With a little luck I will fit recessed rivnuts, if I have enough depth. Only about three or four threads are really needed. Same for headlight covers.

Jack,

thats very similar to how we mounted Johns windows...
We use the nylon screws but as John was going to be installing and removing the windows on a pretty regular basis , depending upon the cars use...we actually use small nyloc nuts and have the screws protrude all the way through the window frame into the inside of the car...little more hard wearing than nutserts IMHO.

I have to say I am getting jittery. We made last minute adjustments to get the gas pedal to just the right level in relation to the brake. Everything I can think of is a go. The car really looks, sounds, and drives (in the driveway) fantastic. Fingers crossed for a really fun two day shake down.

I heard a rumor about some pretty cool in car video?

I had hope to be posting that video right about now. Unfortunately, my old reliable Sharp video recorder, which still uses a tape, decided it was time to check out. Must have been the thrill of riding in the SLC after years of taking video of kids being fed with a spoon.

Of course, without power, the tape cannot be extracted, eh? It took about two hours to do the autopsy, but I did manage to retrieve the evidence. Now to find someone local with a compatible camera. All is not lost, but it is ... delayed :(

Attachments

• Sharp.jpg
    Sharp.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 385
Shakedown report

Ok, here goes, my long winded report. I get a lot of good information here on this forum (and others) and so I am going to try to be as complete and objective as possible. I am not going to blow smoke, and I am not on anyone's payroll. It's not even my car!

So the event was a two day track event at VIR, full course, with the Ferrari Club of America. There was no shortage of Italian eye candy. The cars ranged from a trio of 308 GT4s to a group of 13 430 Challenge cars brought by Classic Coach, to a fantastic 288 GTO, and a wicked-looking 512BBi LM car. of the non-Ferraris, the most notable was a good friend's well-sorted Ultima. It was impossible not to make comparisons throughout. Of course, we have left my wounded 355 at home and planned to share the break in of the SLC.

Other than driving in and out of the trailer and garage, this is the first time the car had been run. So we laid down ground rules ahead of time: 4500 rpm max, street tires. I had loaded the Hoosiers in my Audi RS4 for 2 reasons. One, because I thought it might rain, and the Audi is a fantastic car in the wet. And two, because Fran suggested having the second set of wheels... just in case. That would prove decisive in two ways, but I'll get back to that.

First: the look. Yes it looks mean in pictures, yes it looks insane up close. When you sit in it, you look UP at other exotic cars. But you cannot express what it looks like out on the real world. Even a real world that happens to be a race track. Full of Ferraris. Get used to this kind of scene:

http://emphotos1.shutterfly.com/pictures/8322
I will never forget going to VIR to a Cobra event, specifically to see the new Factory Five GTM. One look was all it took: the car just looks like a "kit". I don't know enough about design to put it into words, but it just looks home made.

The SLC on the other hand, is completely mind bending. It's like your brain doesn't have a file folder to put the image into. The lines are flowing and proportioned. It's purposeful, yet beautiful. It simply is something you have to see. And you don't acclimate to it; it never becomes ... ordinary.

The sound: honestly, I was surprised by how fantastic the car sounds. It makes no sense. It's a GM LS crate motor, LS7 exhaust manifolds, and some magnaflow glass packs. It should sound like a Corvette. It should. It doesn't. It just doesn't. Again, you just have to hear it. (I have GOT to salvage that video!)

OK, so it has the look, it has the sound. But that's not really the point, is it. How does it drive? In a nutshell, it's epic. The steering is surprisingly light. The seating position that feels ludicrously laid back in the garage is extremely comfortable. The view is excellent out the front, and the mirrors actually worked - though I didn't find much need for them :) Throttle response from the LS376 is linear and instantaneous. The brakes are firm and predictable. They do take some force at speed, but the feedback is great, there is no want for power, and no fear of lock-up. VIR has a few areas where the brake zone is not straight, and I had no problem hauling the car down and keeping it placed right where I wanted it. The chassis is incredibly stiff. The suspension - despite settling over two days into what was clearly not the best alignment - corners flat and neutral. You can balance it with your right foot in a very predictable and controllable way. It is very inspiring, building your confidence, never feeling out of sorts. Keeping the revs down was probably a good thing to minimize throttle-on over-steer, but you can feel the rear-biased weight distribution keeping those massive drive tires planted when you do get frisky with the gas.

Choice bits of feedback from others:
Chuck Hawks (pro instructor working with us): "Jeezus this car is fast!"
Ken W (Ultima owner) "If they had been building this car when I bought mine, I would have one."

Day two, we got a nail in the left rear tire. Who would have guessed? Thank you Fran for telling me to bring the Hoosiers! And with them on, wow. Everything was just as good, only amplified. With a bit of that experience, my dad decided he didn't really want to give up the driver's seat so much, so I kinda got punted. So I took out the RS4, with it's aftermarket track suspension and Ohlins remote reservoir dampers. I haven't had it on track for over two years, and in the meantime have been running my formula ford. That last time, I remember it being a really great car. After the SLC, it felt like a minivan. I drove it for a handful of laps until the semi-R compounds I run on it were squealing in pain. The steering which seemed so sharp in the past, not felt like it wasn't even solidly connected. I'll never bother to track it again.

Everyone always says, once you drive a dedicated track car, you won't want to drive a street car on the track again. Absolutely. But for the price of an SLC, you do have options. How about a 360 challenge car? It's about the same price. I have not driven one, so I honestly can't say much about the experience. But I know in the hands of a driver of same skill, the SLC is certainly faster. With parts that are off the shelf. And maintenance you can do yourself. And honestly, a 360 Challenge looks pedestrian next to the SLC. In the garage next to us was a 430 Challenge (Bennett racing) that was converted to Grand Am. They started with a standard 430 challenge (250k) and had to completely rework it. There were about 7 people fiddling with it the entire time. Brakes, something with the ECUs.... it did run, but judging by the look on the faces, not well. One of the mechanics mentioned that it was a mid-pack car, which I am sure is fast.

But if you want a track car that feels and goes and looks like a race car, I personally think the SLC is the best thing out there. I wasn't sure when it was in the garage at home. I mean, it looks the business, it sounds the business, but until I drove it the doubts were looming. C'mon, how can it be that good? 2 days. It has run 2 days, and it ran extremely well. We haven't even got the alignment dialed in. We haven't done anything to the shocks but set them in the middle. The rear suspension had sunk so that the inch of rake we set in the chassis had become reversed, with the nose clearly higher than the front. And did I mention that we kept the revs to 4500? When everything is dialed in... epic. The only thing that worries me is that it really is FAST, and as stable and confidence inspiring as it is, 160+ is 160+, and physics is physics. For godsakes people, get a HANS device.

As we were packing up, trucks were coming and going, loading up the Ferraris and unloading stuff for the next day. In one of those trucks I spied an Enzo. I mentioned that to the guys in the garage, which got a chorus of appreciative "ooohs." Chuck mentioned that they are awesome cars. He said he had the opportunity to experience one if not the first Enzo in North America at VIR. He said it was an amazing car. Then he pointed to the SLC and said "but that's better. That's a race car. The Enzo is still a street car that wants really badly to be a race car."

Attachments

• SLC at VIR3.jpg
    SLC at VIR3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 480
  • SLC at VIR4.jpg
    SLC at VIR4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 505
  • SLC at VIR5.jpg
    SLC at VIR5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 477
  • SLC at VIR6.jpg
    SLC at VIR6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 465
  • SLC at VIR7.jpg
    SLC at VIR7.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 466

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fabulous report and pictures Jay!

I hope you can salvage that video! Although the camera on the other hand looks like it's toast!

Thanks for the great write-up! Hopefully you can get the video revived.

Quite inspiring for us SLC guys drudging along with the builds. I'm going out to the shop NOW!!

Great write-up. Down into the garage I go to work on the car now. Thanks for the inspiration, not that I need it yet :)

The car looks great in person- and I'm sure some of the F-car pilotos were ruing their weapon of choice once the performance of the SLC was clear.

This was a great first outing. No testing, no shakedown runs and no problems, just fast and reliable right off the trailer- that's everything anyone could have hoped for.

More sorting will make it formidable.

Thanks for the writeup!

The car looks great in person- and I'm sure some of the F-car pilotos were ruing their weapon of choice once the performance of the SLC was clear.

This was a great first outing. No testing, no shakedown runs and no problems, just fast and reliable right off the trailer- that's everything anyone could have hoped for.

More sorting will make it formidable.

Thanks for the writeup!
Thanks for coming down Will, great to hang out with you again. Your car is going to be one heckuva creation! As soon as I get that blasted 40 running, I'd love to come up and see how things are going.

BTW, Dad is back at the track today and tomorrow for VIR member days. I will be AWOL for a week, but I will give more shake down info when I can.

Jay,

thanks for the feedback...

The best thing for me is that you guys are having a good time with the car so soon.
Running your car as a "standard build" car with only basic roll cage upgrades, a LS376 crate engine and trans, its nice to see you giving the multimillion dollar car companies finest, a hard time...
Interesting what your Ultima pal said .....seems my arrow is finding its target.

Your RCR40 should be quite the weapon too with your LS7 and Ricardo...

Looking forward to the video..

Last edited:
Back