Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

The exhaust arrived today so I decided to do a trial fit and it all went together a treat.
This will allow me to sought out the plug leads and all the other oil lines, coolers etc that you can't take a chance fitting without the exhaust in situ.
First impressions is a nice job done by SGT...Thanks Mick.
Also nearly finished the breather lines for the tanks. I decided to use the method that SGT uses as they say it works.. Thats good enough for me then.
I must say the fuel system is a plumbers nightmare and I'm glad it's almost buttoned up.

Attachments

• web 0796.jpg
    web 0796.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 764
  • web 0791.jpg
    web 0791.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 710
  • web 0806.jpg
    web 0806.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 710
The breather lines are -8 front and rear of the tank, some say there should also be a breather outlet in the middle but I think you have to go with what the people in the know say , so two it is.
Two fuel hoses at the front of the tank then rise to the filler neck and hopefully breath through the fuel cap.
rather than have a multitude of adaptors I machined a -8 fittings to fit the rubber hoses.
Fuel solenoids are now in, with return lines to the tank.
Nightmare !!

Would have liked the Lambda sensor on the other silencer box as the lead only just reaches but perhaps there's a reason. Nevertherless it fits.

Attachments

• web 0819.jpg
    web 0819.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 481
  • web 0815.jpg
    web 0815.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 502
  • web 0808.jpg
    web 0808.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 582
Fire system is plumbed in, a nice big bottle going between the passengers legs after IVA.
In the engine bay there are 4 nozzles.
One around each fuel pump, solenoids, hp pump and swirl pot.
Another smack over intakes and the last around the lower part of the intakes.
All engine bay areas should be covered. Hopefully never need to fire it.
System is electric.
The space around the engine is tight but there seems to be good clearance around the air con pump and the ac hoses should clear all ok.
The oil filter -10 lines clear the exhausts.

Attachments

• web 0812.jpg
    web 0812.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 512
  • web 0823.jpg
    web 0823.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 552
Ha, I'm normally up this late. Just been shopping for bits for mine online and then off to the garage to work on it.

I was thinking at first that two breathers seemed overkill, especially at ~10mm each, then I thought about it some more and it makes sense if the car is at an angle with full tanks.

What remote oil filter is that btw?
Looks really nice and I need one for my engine.

Keith,

I see you also opted for the black race silencers. I did the same and I'm really pleased with the look. Yours looks great. I had a heat shield to go on but i'm not going to bother now as it doesn't look as good and the exhaust is far enough away from the body not to need it.
Amazing progress. It's taken me years to get to where you are now.

Martin

Final fitted the exhaust with high temp silicon, bled the brakes and clutch, no leaks, that's a first.
Thinking ahead I'm going to put 2 lights in the doors and one over the rear deck next to the roundels, so I put the grommets in the doors and ran the wiring to the dash.
I have altered all the dash loom and extended it by some 2ft allowing me to remove the dash and get to everything without the need to lay upside down, each wire is the same colour and has been solder joined and heat shrink covered.
The fuel system is now complete and the pumps and solenoids operate from the dash switch left and right hand.
I'm going to have a seperate switch for the HP pump so need some wires to that.
I may be wrong but I think the low pressure pumps need to run up before the HP pump to ensure enough fuel is there.
All my Lucas switches are within the 127mm of the steering wheel so this other switch will need to be well out of the way.
Not sure how many Amps the A1000 pump draws so may need to put a relay in. I'll check it out !
Also I undersealed the bottom of the car, I know it's a mixture of Ally and Galv steel but it's peace of mind and looks a better job.

For some reason it would not let me post this 1st time.
David. The remote is MIH Performance, Frank Catt said as it's billet it's a better flow rate than say Mocal and better looking, not sure where I got it but I'll look up my paperwork and let you know. It wasn't cheap and if fitting it to the bulkhead as mine you will need to make a bracket like mine, easy enough though.
Martin. I was going to fit stainless heat shields over the exhaust as I think although the black looks good it may look age tatty in time.

After a brief battle with an earth wire the lights are now working , on the back at least.
IVA OK Fog lamp and indicators work with dash lamps responding, not all at the same time of course
Rear grill fitted without any cutting just needs finishing at the paint stage.
I don't like the waterproof connectors joining the rear loom to the main loom and may change them at a later date.
The rear number plate lights I have wont pass IVA so Mick at SGT has his own number plate and IVA lamp set up, but there's power to them OK.

Attachments

• web 0828.jpg
    web 0828.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 441
  • web 0837.jpg
    web 0837.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Installed the throttle cable. Sounds an easy job but took much longer than expected.
I had a quality cable made up by Frank Catt with flex joint one end and solderless on the other, this allowed me to route it and cut to suit.
Although I have still to finish the spring return at the pedal end it operates sweet as a nut.
Heat shield with 1200 deg protection slipped over the cable, It's a really neat looking cover.
I mounted the Mocal oil cooler thermostat and now making a bracket for the rear engine oil cooler, the gearbox cooler will mount on the opposite side of the engine in the same position so I'll make a mirror image bracket at the same time, even though I probably wont fit the gearbox cooler till after IVA.

Tested all the front lights, side lights, dip and main OK.
Indicators flash.. Problem I think the switch supplier may have sent the wrong dip switch. When the lights are off and when the side lights are on the main beam warning lamp is on.
When I put the main beam on the bloody lamp goes off. It will get there in the end.

Attachments

• web 0839.jpg
    web 0839.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 491
  • web 0840.jpg
    web 0840.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 491
  • web 0842.jpg
    web 0842.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Fitted the new dash switch for the A1000 H.P. pump. To the right of the steering wheel which is an IVA exempt area.
A 30 AMP fuse, through a relay then to the pump.
Fitted the door check straps which I made from the same webbing as the seat belts and the door closer straps, a trimmer buddy stitched them neatly to the correct lengths.
Fitted static earth straps from the chassis to the fuel tanks, not sure if there needed but was told it was an IVA item , done it just in case.
People kept coming round today so very little to show,

I'll come out to play Mark, fancy your chances ?

Are you f888ing kidding me Keith? Of course I do! ;) LOL

Seriously though, it would be fabulous the run the P4 against it's 'proper' rival! I am a novice though, so would expect to see your arse a lot if I'm honest! How many ponies ya got in there? Something sensible I hope!!! :thumbsup:

Anyway fitted the engine oil cooler just got to get an angled -10 fitting to miss the exhaust box and will make a support rod for the cooler in stainless steel.
The same will have to be made later for the gearbox cooler.
Not sure where the pick up points are for the box cooler hoses but I think there in -8.
I find out from someone for sure !
Decided to run the rocker cover breather pipes forward and below the exhausts, there's a small space at the back of the gearbox on both sides for the collector boxes which I wll make in ally. . I think routing the hose this way will look better rather than trying to squeeze it aroung the exhaust pipes.
Filled the system with water / anti freeze coolant.. NO leaks that's another first.

Attachments

• web 0845.jpg
    web 0845.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 481
  • web 0847.jpg
    web 0847.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 476
  • web 0861.jpg
    web 0861.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 449
  • web 0862.jpg
    web 0862.jpg