Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Also the car got registered today.
Got to say the DVLA service was very good.
Took 10 minutes to be seen, 10 minutes more to compile paperwork and pay. Job done.
They say that the registration docs will be about 3 days.
They also no longer need to see the car in the flesh.
For registration you need the following:
IVA certificate from VOSA
Insurance cover note
V55 /4 form
Declaration of self build form
First registartion fee......... cheeeeeeecky.
1 Years road fund licence
photos of the car at various stages and reciepts for the major components.
As I have a personalised registration number they take that paperwork as well.
All gets returned in a few days.

Hello Keith

congratulations !! you are planning every stage very "professionaly" and with so big success !
So lucky you are you UK builders to have this big opportunity to registrate your projects !!
Try to select a" dry" week end to test your beast !!painting will be so new LOL

The paperwork arrived back from the DVLA yesterday with a road fund licence ( tax disc )
Car is now registered officially and number plates arrived.
Reg number K 40 SGT
The Bodyshop is smartening up the shut lines and around the nostril panel and the car is planned to go into primer mid this week.
There's not too much filler going in which is good news, the less filler the better.
The rear canopy illumination lamp is fitted and the final position for the roundel door lamps will need to be worked out prior to paint.

Small update on the bodywork.
The rear deck being final prep'd ready for the primer coat tommorrow.
The hole is cut for the identification lamp
The front canopy where it meets the nostril panel needed a little work and filler to get flush but again not much filler used.
They have decided to toughen up the cill panels at the front end with fibreglass on the inside, as they have sanded some of the outer face down to meet the front canopy.
These things are pretty standard body mods and they know what end result I want.

Attachments

• web 0338.jpg
    web 0338.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Small update on the bodywork.

These things are pretty standard body mods and they know what end result I want.
You are very lucky Keith to have found such paint shop ! There in France as soon as you go into a paint shop subcontractor ( except if the owner is your brother LOL) the only thing they do is to count down any half an our of labour telling you "HOOO this is ahugde work to achieve ta ta ta " and if you want same beauty these guys are doing for you ; you have to be prepared to be killed by final invoice !!!
As I dream for years ( since I started to built cars in the 70's!!) only UK is real country of happy homebuilders !!

Can wait to watch your GT painted ......

Further bodywork update.
The rear canopy and nostril panel are now in polyester primer and have been hardening for the last 3 days.
The front canopy and cills are just being primed as I was there.
You can see the additional work done on the front nose area.
All will harden for a week, although the primer feels like concrete already.
The primer is sprayed onto the prepped bodywork that has been rubbed down with 180 grade paper, this gives an excellent bonding.

Attachments

• web 0339.jpg
    web 0339.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 314
  • web 0354.jpg
    web 0354.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 326
  • web 0351.jpg
    web 0351.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 319
The nostril panel was in good shape and needed no real work, remember in my build log I had built out the sides so that the gaps were better.
I made up some paper discs to get an idea of the roundel sizes that would look best.

Attachments

• web 0357.jpg
    web 0357.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 308
  • web 0360.jpg
    web 0360.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 318
The paintwork will only ever be as good as the painter and the equipment they use.
I supplied this compressor over 10 years ago and it still runs sweet as a nut.
" German technology "
I also supplied the SATA filtration and breathing air equipment.

The prep work at this stage is always done in the main workshop as the heating is on most of the time.
No condensation allowed in the primer coats

Attachments

• web 0353.jpg
    web 0353.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Thinking about the size of the door roundels.
I would like for the top of the roundel to be slightly down from the side windows as in the picture, this would intersect the cill stripes nicely. Also the roundel has to be more forward on the door and not central because of the body lines.
Typically what is the size of other cars roundels out there ?
Rear canopy and front nostril roundels will be slightly smaller.
Question is also in the exterior section
Cheers

Attachments

• web 0347.jpg
    web 0347.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 336
Hello keith

From what I remember when i was ayoung mecanic ctting these from white vinyl in year's 70's they were 500 mm from the rules but ACO allowed some variations when cars had small doors !!

To day they provide their own stickers !!!and we use some special white vynil luminescent in dark light ( wtach some pits stops ) !!may be you can use this
one 'it will be very smart at night !!

Attachments

• Ford-GT40-époque sur pont.jpg
    Ford-GT40-époque sur pont.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 361
  • GT40_LeMans.jpg
    GT40_LeMans.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
I always got my own roundels cut as the off the shelf type are pants on a 40, too small and with a matt finish. I used a gloss finish for a more period look. Also I always felt they needed to be bigger as the number decals you get here are standardised at 9, 11 or 13 inches. Suggest you get three number 8's of the size number you may choose to run and then see how it looks.

Thanks all.
The roundels will of course be painted onto the car in off white with no raised edges felt.

Cheers

Malcolm

Supporter
I measured mine yesterday at 20 inches so would agree with the suggestions of between 20 and 22 inches as being a good size.

You have been peeping again haven't you Frank.
I told you about that peeping fetish and standing outside schools haven't I !

Back